Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like you guys, one could say I love minibikes! I hustled down to my local dealer and put a deposit down on a Yellow Honda Monkey 6 and a half months ago. But who's counting? It's a small shop, the owner is a great guy, and I bought my Grom from him. He's been in contact over the months - offered me a red one, keeping me abreast on trying to work deals trading with other dealers to source a yellow, and so on. Finally last week he called with the latest info... Honda doesn't expect the next batch to ship until May 2019. Yikes! That would make it a whopping 11 months since my pre-order - the day after it was announced for the American market. Clearly the Monkey is new, in low supply, and in demand. Seemingly Honda has made 1 yellow for every 10 reds. I know I know... red is Honda's color... their namesake... "ride red". But the yellow looks classic. It looks right. And well, I must have one.

At that point I started scouring the internet. Loads of dealers said they had them in their ads, but they all were all the same... "oh, would you like to put down a deposit?" On Cycle Trader it looked like a dealer in southern California had a yellow. In desperation, I called them and it went down the same as all the rest... something along the lines of... "I don't think we actually have those in stock. Do you want to put down a deposit?" But then something magical happened. "Hang on a second. You know what? I think we just received 3 yellows in the warehouse last night!".

And with a quick $100 deposit on the phone, I was off bright and early the very next morning to collect it. Did I mention they were 400 miles away? 400 miles there. 400 miles back. 800 miles. in. one. day.

At some points along the trip I questioned what I was doing and who I was. When my girlfriend repeated back on the phone out loud what I was actually doing, I'll admit it did sound a bit crazy. It took courage. It took energy drinks. It took naps in the back seat at rest stops. But at 5:30AM when I landed at home with one yellow Monkey in hand, I just had to smile.

48409580_10156698043953400_4202452317464690688_o.jpg

·
Registered
613 Posts
Awesome, the things we will do to get what we want, lol. congrats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome. Yellow is so right for the Monkey. Congratulations. I wanted yellow as well but my dealer was only getting red and could not advise on any timely availability of the yellow bike. I also wanted the non ABS version and he was only getting one of those so I went with that and am glad to have it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's awesome! I have a yellow one and a red one. The red I had right away as everyone has one in stock. The yellow I had to shop for but found it 50 miles away and went and got that weekend (about a month ago now). Very happy with both. I also have a couple Z125 for the Hooligan in me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Total engine hours: 30 seconds.

Just the test startup on delivery at the dealer. I haven't had much time given the holidays and it raining, but did knock out a few baby steps.

The tank stickers peeled off relatively easily and the adhesive cleaned up with WD40. Honda keychain "installed". :excitement: :hondalogo:
IMG_0633.jpg

Mirrors removed entirely and put on threaded hole plugs to clean it up.
IMG_0629.jpg

Front reflectors removed. After trying every metric hex and star bit under the sun, I'm still not sure what the hell those two bolts are that hold on the fork guard. Service manual was no help either. Finally I just tapped in an allen bit that was close and cranked them off. Buggers were on there fairly tight for holding on a piece of plastic.
IMG_0625.jpg

Interestingly, my bike came with a charging pigtail installed. No charger came with however. I heard someone else say the same thing, and thought no way it could come like that from the factory. Dealer installed? Who knows... but convenient. Hooked it up to my multi-bank battery charger. Came up to fully charged in approximately 10 seconds, so bodes well for the dealer prep.
IMG_0631.jpg

Overall the fit and finish is simply amazing! The fasteners, components, paint, and materials are truly top notch. Definitely several steps higher than the Grom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did much of the same. You may want to add the air box mod they do on the Grom, it's exactly the same on the Monkey.

I did:
Removed reflectors
Grom Air box mod
Cut the cats open and gutted them, welded back together (I like the stock exhaust look a lot)
Made my own tidy tail
LED lights under the tank, remote switch in the side of the battery box
HRC Meter Visor
Hand Guards to cut the wind down a bit on chilly days
RAM mounts for cell phones using the X-Brace
Cortech Tank bags since the tank is metal that was a no brainer to carry a little stuff around with you.
Pilot Pure 2CT tires cuz I ride like a hooligan on the street and the stockers weren't cutting it

The pig tail is a dealer installed option, some dealers do it as a convenience so you can plug a tender in. One dealer did it on one of my Z125's. I may get the rest done just to have them.

They are super fun to mod. I may end up going 143 kits and PCV's on them but we will see...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a lazy afternoon going today and knocked a couple more things out!

First off, I got the MNNTHBX front turn signal mounts with the Rizoma billet LED turn signals a few weeks back. Sheez. What a tight piece of kit! These guys continually knock it out of the park with the absolute best stuff.

The install wasn't hard at all, but was a bit more involved and took a bit longer than expected for a pair of turn signals. The headlight unbolted and the OEM mounts and signals came off fast. I unboxed the Rizoma turn signals (wholly molly theses are nice). It came with.. well... a lot more stuff than expected. The signals, two different large resistors per signal, a rubber cap and a few bolts and washers. I was scratching my head what the huge resistors were for and scoured the small manual that came with. They listed a ton of different bikes in the manual and how many resistors and in which wiring configuration to wire them up in. Eek. They even specifically listed the MSX125 with a configuration with both resistors. I was thinking that was probably the way to go, but I did however also get the LED flasher module from MNNTHBX. Turns out that's all you need. Get this. Chuck the resistors and don't worry about the 874 different configurations they can go in. Plug the signals in straight. Installing the LED flasher module itself was more involved than expected as well. The OEM one is under the gas tank, and the tank must come fully off... no loosening it and sneaking around the edges... you really need the whole thing off. I dove right in trying to get it off... and wasn't immediately having much luck. What do you do when all else fails? Ready the service manual. For anyone needing to do this in the future the steps are 1) take off seat. 2) take off the single bolt holding the tank to the frame. 3) Slide the tank back a bit, lift the right hand side a bit and remove the large fuel hose - just give it a tug and it will slide right off, nothing is holding it on. 4) Toward the rear of the tank there is a white electric harness plug, push the tab and pull that off. 5) Black fuel feed line right next to that - push the tab forward and down and it will pop off. 6) Left hand side of the tank, squeeze the hose clamp and slide the hose off the tank. 7) Slide the tank towards the rear of the bike - and she's off. The OEM flasher module is right there on the spine of the frame. Slide that off and the MNNTHBX LED flasher module is a direct plug and play fit for the electrical connection. I had to strap it to the bracket on the frame with some zip-ties however as there is no "built in" way to mount it... but it's secure. Put the tank back on the same way in reverse, and WA-LAH! Front flashers done. The mounts and signals are really REALLY nice... clean... minimal. And bright as all get out!

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

I also threw on some Two Brother footpegs for more aggressive / stand-up traction than the OEM rubber jobbies. These are made for the Grom... I have them on my Grom as well... and they are a perfect fit on the Monkey. 5 minute install. Black on black...(going for a total murdered out Monkey)... nice.

peg1.jpg

peg2.jpg

Onward!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great info and write up.

Just ordered the same set of front signals/mounts from Mnnthbx yesterday, and a handful of other items.

They look good on your bike.

I was curious of the flasher locations as I think it is located behind the headlight on the Grom? I was hoping it was the same case for the monkey.

I know you said the tank must come off.... no way to just loosen the rear tank bolt and then remove the air intake housing and side cover and sneak a hand up under that way?

Got a full tank of fuel and was trying to avoid taking the lines off and avoid a mess.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The flasher module is indeed behind the headlight on the Grom. There's mucho space in the headlight bucket on the Monkey, so not sure why the decision to put it under the tank.

Believe it or not, pulling the lines off the tank produces very (very) little fuel run off. I had a full tank as well. The only line that leaked a teeny tiny bit was the black fuel feed fitting on the rear. Just wrap it in a rag as you pull it off. The ones on the left and right hand sides leaked exactly zero drops when removed.

And yep, you need to remove the whole tank. You might be able to squeeze in there and slide the flasher off the bracket on the frame, but you're really going to want to secure the new one properly - and since there's no "natural" way to do that, you're going to be up to your own devices to make that work, and you'll need space. The MNNTHBX flasher has a plastic bracket hanging off the side with a hole in it. I put 2 zip ties thru that, and thru the existing hole on the mount where the OEM one was - one zip tie left, one right, and just tightened them all the way down.

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense when you get in there...

·
Registered
393 Posts
The flasher module is indeed behind the headlight on the Grom. There's mucho space in the headlight bucket on the Monkey, so not sure why the decision to put it under the tank.

Believe it or not, pulling the lines off the tank produces very (very) little fuel run off. I had a full tank as well. The only line that leaked a teeny tiny bit was the black fuel feed fitting on the rear. Just wrap it in a rag as you pull it off. The ones on the left and right hand sides leaked exactly zero drops when removed.

And yep, you need to remove the whole tank. You might be able to squeeze in there and slide the flasher off the bracket on the frame, but you're really going to want to secure the new one properly - and since there's no "natural" way to do that, you're going to be up to your own devices to make that work, and you'll need space. The MNNTHBX flasher has a plastic bracket hanging off the side with a hole in it. I put 2 zip ties thru that, and thru the existing hole on the mount where the OEM one was - one zip tie left, one right, and just tightened them all the way down.

Everything stated above is true. Just did mine. What a PITA, I'm sure they saved 12" of wire which will equal a savings of millions over the lifetime of selling this bike, but this should be in the headlight bucket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’ll be diving into this project later in the week. Got the tracking on my mnnthbx order this morning.

Either of you guys have any pictures of the underside of the tank.
I don’t have a copy of the service manual yet to reference

·
Registered
393 Posts
I’ll be diving into this project later in the week. Got the tracking on my mnnthbx order this morning.

Either of you guys have any pictures of the underside of the tank.
I don’t have a copy of the service manual yet to reference
I didn't take any pictures. It's not really that hard to do, it's just really tight under there to unplug things. Get a small chunk of 2x4 to lift the tank, put this where you unbolt the tank. Follow Fletcher's directions, they detail it really well.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Thanks guys. Got the relay swapped out last night.
Your suggestions and directions made this easy.

I had some concerns but it was fairly straight forward. Slid the tank back and put a block of wood under it and had things switched over in a few minutes.

As you both mentioned getting the lines of is a pain. They don’t leave much room.

Much easier if it was behind the headlight ha ha...

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
We were able to easily swap the flasher without removing the tank, though there's currently no airbox on our bike, so perhaps that's the difference in access... Glad you guys love the set-up!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally found some time this evening to do a bit more wrenching.

Got the mnnthbx "monkey tail v2" with rizoma stop/turn lights mounted up.

Super clean and minimal!

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts