Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I plan on purchasing my first grom as soon as I find the right one.

I have found 2 in my area but am having a hard time deciding.

2018 Grom ABS - no mods - 300 miles

2017 grom completely redone (No stock parts whatsoever) with following mods: Less than 10 miles on new build.
Modifications:
ZS190 Complete Engine (5spd vs 4spd (original engine), 18whp vs 8hp, Much stronger internals and better overall design, 28mm Carb, 5 Row Oil Cooler, etc)
KepSpeed Aluminum UnderBrace Swingarm +6cm
Fully Adjustable 3 Way Reservoir KEOGHS Rear Shock
Complete Set of Himalayan Pearl White Grom Plastics
Custom White/Black Grom Seat (Marine Grade Vinyl)
Grom Battery Tray
SHORAI Lithium Ion Battery
Gold Grom Forks
Red Nissin Front Grom Brake Caliper
Red Nissin Rear Grom Brake Calipers
220mm Galfer Racing Front Rotor for Grom
190mm Galfer Racing Rear Rotor for Grom
Maxxis 6024 Tires Front & Rear for Grom
KLX110 ProTaper Bars
Custom Painted Enkei Wheels for Grom
Thai MSX (Grom) LED Complete Headlight
T.S LED H/L Bulb Kit for Grom
Flush Mount Smoked Turn Signals for Grom
Blaster X Integrated LED Tail Light for Grom
Twisted Street Designs License Plate Bracket for Grom
KepSpeed Dax Loop Low Mount Exhaust for Grom
Motion Pro CR Throttle.
RacingBros Fully Adjustable Front Fork Kit (Spring, Rebound & Dampening Adjustable)
Racing Bro’s Billet Oversized Foot Pegs for Grom
Red Billet Rear Sprocket for Grom
Gold HD Chain for Grom
All hardware upgraded to Grade 8

The front frame is a Vader frame so the motorcycle is registered as a Vader (this allowed for the ZS190 to directly bolt on).

I will be using the bike just to drive around my city.This is the first bike I’ll ever own and I’ve never rode prior. I just want something sturdy and reliable. Both are priced about the same. The modified zs190 sounds enticing but I’m not sure how reliable that engine is, how long it’ll last versus a Stock grom with proven reliability.

thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stock honda more reliable for sure. That being said, the cost of the parts stock vs aftermarket isnt much difference and its cheap.. modified engines tend to not last as long, because if they perform better, they have to wear-out quicker. So if ur replacing stock steel sprockets with aluminum sprockets, obviously the aluminum will wear out faster, and cost more than the steel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why do you think the stock grom?

also, I have no knowledge on modifying these bikes so I don’t know if the parts used (as listed above in my original post) are any good or not.
mainly because of reliability. I wouldn’t take someone’s word that the engine is better and that the swap was done correctly, especially when they’re trying to sell it after only riding 10 miles

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why do you think the stock grom?

also, I have no knowledge on modifying these bikes so I don’t know if the parts used (as listed above in my original post) are any good or not.
Stock is 99% of the time more reliable on a honda. Theyre basically bulletproof from the factory. The kitaco or takegawa side cover is an acception to where aftermarket is better than stock, but stock if you live in a place with any hills, you will be choking it to death to get 35 mph, where if u live in a flat town, you can easily get to 55-60mph, but expect 35-40 on hills, with a required downshift to 3rd, possibly 2nd depending on size of hill. Aftermarket is good for people who know their bike. If a part breaks you know what to replace. Try ask a mechanic whose never seen aftermarket grom parts, identify, order, repair ur bike, oh and be cost effective. The mechanic will more than likely not want to touch ur bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven’t rode with the Kitaco or Takegawa clutch covers but from my brief research, the engine just revs faster with less rotational mass, but the loss of the oil spinner causes less wheelie pop and stalls more easily. Don’t quote me on that because again, I haven’t personally rode with one, but just trying to say that just because an aftermarket part is on there, it may not be intended or best suited for what you’re trying to use the bike for. Best to look at that huge list of mods and think if you would purchase and install each of those parts if you had a stock Grom to begin with

Edit: and @Stealth808 makes a good point, going from stock to putting your own aftermarket things on definitely help you know your bike a lot better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven’t rode with the Kitaco or Takegawa clutch covers but from my brief research, the engine just revs faster with less rotational mass, but the loss of the oil spinner causes less wheelie pop and stalls more easily. Don’t quote me on that because again, I haven’t personally rode with one, but just trying to say that just because an aftermarket part is on there, it may not be intended or best suited for what you’re trying to use the bike for. Best to look at that huge list of mods and think if you would purchase and install each of those parts if you had a stock Grom to begin with

Edit: and @Stealth808 makes a good point, going from stock to putting your own aftermarket things on definitely help you know your bike a lot better.
I put barely 100 miles on my stock 2019 grom before i put the takegawa cover (and other mods). I will agree it stalled easier my first 2 times riding it after, but really it just reminded me its a 125 4 stroke and at my weight i need at least 30-40% throttle + or - 3krpms off a dead-start on any incline to even keep up with cars here. Nothing like a 250 2 stroke or a r6,r1 etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts