Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I hit 98 miles and the fuel meter read "E"... I didn't want to have to push it anywhere so I stopped and filled her up. Ignore the bird poop on the bottom of the picture of the odometer. :rolleyes: Stupid bird.

It took a gallon and there was still gas in the tank. On the next fill up I'll know exactly what I'm doing per gallon. Just as an FYI, I'm pretty much always all on or all off the throttle. 55 is pretty easy to hit now without tucking, even will accelerate on an upward grade. I rode on flat ground at 60 for several miles straight, felt fine! Had to raise the butt up on a few bumps, though.

Today's trip was to the office. I normally work out of the house, sitting in my recliner with my computer hooked up to my giant TV. I had to run to one of the offices to let the LAN run some software, so I figured that if I was going to take a 35 mile (each way) trip, might as well be on the GROM! The truck gets 15 to 17 mpg, so it was pretty easy to decide to take the bike. The truck is faster, I can take the highway. If I could get 10mph more out of this thing I would be okay with highway riding. Speed limit is 65 on the roads I would take to get to the office.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha... no. I popped a few small ones. Had my laptop and ipad mini in my backpack, didn't want to jack up my bike and my electronics. I plan on hitting a parking lot soon to practice wheelies and stoppies on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QT... premium.
With my 125 with a race head the difference is noticeable between 87 and 93. Didn't notice anything today. Plus, I have no clue what kind of gas the dealer put in the bike before I picked it up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL... my black 82 will hit well over 50, but that's a scary ride at that point. You know you're going 50, and it feels like 100. I have an 88 with a race head I'm putting in my 69 as soon as I have DavMo weld up part of my frame. I don't want to hit a bump at over 50 on that thing. Before the 88 kit the 69 was lucky to hit 30. Just enough to make my eyes water!

I have a 77 with a 160 in it with CT wheels and 130 tires and xr80 swinger... I need to finish it up to see how scary that one is.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
LOL... my black 82 will hit well over 50, but that's a scary ride at that point. You know you're going 50, and it feels like 100. I have an 88 with a race head I'm putting in my 69 as soon as I have DavMo weld up part of my frame. I don't want to hit a bump at over 50 on that thing. Before the 88 kit the 69 was lucky to hit 30. Just enough to make my eyes water!

I have a 77 with a 160 in it with CT wheels and 130 tires and xr80 swinger... I need to finish it up to see how scary that one is.
Hah! Yeah, anything over 50 on 8 inch wheels is a real pucker..

·
Registered
312 Posts
So, I hit 98 miles and the fuel meter read "E"... I didn't want to have to push it anywhere so I stopped and filled her up. Ignore the bird poop on the bottom of the picture of the odometer. :rolleyes: Stupid bird.

It took a gallon and there was still gas in the tank. On the next fill up I'll know exactly what I'm doing per gallon. Just as an FYI, I'm pretty much always all on or all off the throttle. 55 is pretty easy to hit now without tucking, even will accelerate on an upward grade. I rode on flat ground at 60 for several miles straight, felt fine! Had to raise the butt up on a few bumps, though.

Today's trip was to the office. I normally work out of the house, sitting in my recliner with my computer hooked up to my giant TV. I had to run to one of the offices to let the LAN run some software, so I figured that if I was going to take a 35 mile (each way) trip, might as well be on the GROM! The truck gets 15 to 17 mpg, so it was pretty easy to decide to take the bike. The truck is faster, I can take the highway. If I could get 10mph more out of this thing I would be okay with highway riding. Speed limit is 65 on the roads I would take to get to the office.

Wow you have nice cheap gas where you are! Mine always cost at least $5. But that's still cheap to me when you're buying a gallon.

I'm kind of excited that when I get the grom I won't have to use Sta-bil in the engine... Or should I still use it, I'm wondering. I want to use it in all my vehicles cause I'm worried about ethanol.

·
Registered
294 Posts
By the way, just an observation on fillups with the Grom/MSX.... if you fill up, give it a second, and you'll see the level go back down slightly... fill it to the top again, and it'll go down slightly, etc... the fuel filler "neck" goes down into the tank a bit, and the vent doesn't vent the tank very fast, so when you fill up the little "cup"/"neck" area, it goes to the top but if you let it sit and vent out the air in the tank a bit, it'll normalize and level out and the level in the cup/neck area will go down... an extra few seconds at the pump can get you quite a bit more fuel in the tank ;)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
By the way, just an observation on fillups with the Grom/MSX.... if you fill up, give it a second, and you'll see the level go back down slightly... fill it to the top again, and it'll go down slightly, etc... the fuel filler "neck" goes down into the tank a bit, and the vent doesn't vent the tank very fast, so when you fill up the little "cup"/"neck" area, it goes to the top but if you let it sit and vent out the air in the tank a bit, it'll normalize and level out and the level in the cup/neck area will go down... an extra few seconds at the pump can get you quite a bit more fuel in the tank ;)
i witnessed this on our last ride.. was surprised actually lol.. moar gas ftw

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow you have nice cheap gas where you are! Mine always cost at least $5. But that's still cheap to me when you're buying a gallon.

I'm kind of excited that when I get the grom I won't have to use Sta-bil in the engine... Or should I still use it, I'm wondering. I want to use it in all my vehicles cause I'm worried about ethanol.

No difference between the Grom and other vehicles.

If you are regularly running it and burning thru fuel, I wouldn't worry about using Stabil. If you're putting it away for awhile... or just ride very little and thus have little fuel burn and refills, I would stabilize it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts