Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a grom bike off a guy for 500 he didnt give me any paperwork how do I go about this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bill of sale. Go to dmv, pay any fees, pay transfer fee. Pay registration if it's past due or coming due within 3 months. New title in the mail few weeks. At least in ca. Once they run the vin they will tell you if it's stolen or not. If it has plates you can check with the plate and vin actually.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Bill of sale. Go to dmv, pay any fees, pay transfer fee. Pay registration if it's past due or coming due within 3 months. New title in the mail few weeks. At least in ca. Once they run the vin they will tell you if it's stolen or not. If it has plates you can check with the plate and vin actually.
Not in my state (WV).

If you do not have a signed and in some cases notarized title you are not getting plates, let alone a title.

Contact your DMV and ask what you need to do to get a title. I do not think I would tell them you bought one without a title, initially.
YMMV

·
Registered
54 Posts
Call the police department and have them check the VIN to see if it was reported stolen.
In most areas, the police cannot track a VIN as well as you would expect in the 21st century. I had a motorcycle stolen from me in Houston, TX, the police dept only kept a paper record of the case, there was no database like NICB or any such thing that the VIN was added to, and no other police dept outside of HPD would have access to the information that was gathered in their report. They weren't even going to record the VIN until I asked them to. A year later, they sent me a letter asking me to confirm that they hadn't recovered my stolen property, if I didn't respond, they were going to purge their records of the incident.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Brother's bike was stolen from Alabama, got recovered from some place Northeast..... think it was New Jersey but not 100% sure, it was about 10 years ago. Random traffic stop, they checked the VIN and it was over. Had been missing 6 years and was a different color, but he got it back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
...they checked the VIN and it was over. Had been missing 6 years and was a different color, but he got it back.
I can't imagine what that must have felt like, getting your property back after being gone that long. I would expect that different police departments prioritize things differently, some places take property crimes more seriously than others. Either way, if your local police say they have no record of it, it definitely does not mean that it's clean, and if the seller is really the legal owner, it is very easy in most states to get a duplicate title, there is no reason to sell a legally owned vehicle without one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
never buy a bike without a title, especially if it is street legal. Chances are its stolen or there's a lien on it. If they're the owner why wouldn't they have a title? If they're careless and lost the title they shouldn't ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
OP still only has one post, he is probably as shady as the guy he bought the bike from and was not satisfied with our reception of a possible motorcycle thief. No regrets, I hope the owner gets his bike back and the thief gets lots of attention in prison.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts