Honda Grom banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It sits slightly to the left, and the contact looks nothing like stock. This is the case for both intake and exhaust valves. We're just going to run it and keep an eye on it. I assume its going to need valve lash adjustments very often at first while the corner of the stem mushrooms down.

I'm hoping other people have seen the same thing and have been running it without any problems, and I'm just being paranoid.
The intake valve on my head is so long that I had to remove material so there'd be a gap between the valve and tappet. Not even joking. It's run fine, though. No issues.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yeah i ended up using the retainers off the stock head as they had a slightly different edge profile because the retainer outer edge was close / contacting the inner arch of the rocker arm with the finbro supplied retainers. Valves could definitely be 3mm shorter to allow better adjustment and clearances.

Havnt had an issue though, i should probably poke my head in there and check clearances its been a few hundred miles since i put the head on haha.

FYI you can back that tappet adjuster out even futher, its not bad alignment but not ideal as its on the edge but once things wear into eachother you will be fine, id just be more concerned with clearance at the edge of the valve spring retainer and rocker arm arch.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yeah i ended up using the retainers off the stock head as they had a slightly different edge profile because the retainer outer edge was close / contacting the inner arch of the rocker arm with the finbro supplied retainers. Valves could definitely be 3mm shorter to allow better adjustment and clearances.

Havnt had an issue though, i should probably poke my head in there and check clearances its been a few hundred miles since i put the head on haha.

FYI you can back that tappet adjuster out even further, its not bad alignment but not ideal as its on the edge but once things wear into each other you will be fine, id just be more concerned with clearance at the edge of the valve spring retainer and rocker arm arch.
The picture was taken with the valve gap set to factory specs. I don't think I have a problem with the rocker arms hitting the retainer. If I wanted shorter valve stems, wouldn't that be a custom job of grinding it down to length and then cutting a retaining groove? Then I'd have to find a longer adjustment screw. Ugh, I'm just thankful to hear you guys have had success despite things not being optimal.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Oh yah, I forgot to mention - The threads are cut so poorly on the supplied Finbro cam that it wasn't letting the bolt seat onto the cam sprocket. When trying to torque the cam sprocket bolt, I broke the sprocket's tang off. UGH!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but I was putting together my Finbro 31/26 head and found the intake valve spring doesn't sit concentric to the valve stem. I've attached a detailed illustration...
finbro valve spring.jpg

I'm just going to run it cuz I'm sure this isn't the only 31/26 head like this... My friends 22/21 Finbro head was fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well..... a Finbro head was on my shopping list but after reading this thread it really makes one re think things. IS there another option for stock bore maybe up to 143 kit thats not super expensive? Of just get the finbro and do the work yourself is the best option?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well..... a Finbro head was on my shopping list but after reading this thread it really makes one re think things. IS there another option for stock bore maybe up to 143 kit thats not super expensive? Of just get the finbro and do the work yourself is the best option?

As far as i know there is no other big valve option. Your best bet is to contact monkey father directly and tell him your setup / what you want and he will likely have a head for that.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
As far as i know there is no other big valve option. Your best bet is to contact monkey father directly and tell him your setup / what you want and he will likely have a head for that.
Yeah, and shipping from Thailaind is like $98.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hello i have your set up with a kitaco 164 bbk...when u put the new head with big valve...u modificacated also the piston upper side?

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
hello i have your set up with a kitaco 164 bbk...when u put the new head with big valve...u modificacated also the piston upper side?

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk

Nope, original Kitaco 164 "light bore kit" piston (not their NEO kit). The standard light bore kit piston is dished and has clearance for the bigger valves without having to cut reliefs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone other than Gromfatherz sell lash caps for the valves ? He is currently sold out , and i would like to fit a set before i fit my new head , cheers !

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nope, original Kitaco 164 "light bore kit" piston (not their NEO kit). The standard light bore kit piston is dished and has clearance for the bigger valves without having to cut reliefs.
That wasn’t the case for me. I had the exhaust valve strike the piston and bend.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts