Honda Grom banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
yeah i dont have the correspondence anymore.

that powdercoating video... this is why im glad i bought my koso head raw and painted it myself. yeesh.

·
Registered
505 Posts
lol @ valve being powdercoated shut..

That said, I doubt they are all like that. Plenty of people running Finbro stuff and plenty of dealers selling it. There is a guy in the race section of this forum that has put 2K track miles on his Finbro super head without issues. I can see running a super head in the future myself. Lapping valves is way beyond my expertise, however.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
lol @ valve being powdercoated shut..

That said, I doubt they are all like that. Plenty of people running Finbro stuff and plenty of dealers selling it. There is a guy in the race section of this forum that has put 2K track miles on his Finbro super head without issues. I can see running a super head in the future myself. Lapping valves is way beyond my expertise, however.
You can do valve lapping, if I can do it you can.

The only problem is getting the keepers of the valves, the EZ way I found was to use a deep socket that fits over the valve stem but seats on the spring cap and I put down a towel or something on the head on the valve that I'm going to remove so the valve does not dip down causing problems trying to remove the valve and push down on the socket and it will release the keepers after a couple of pushes, same process will be used to install the keepers.

those suction cup valve tools suck when doing valve lapping don't waste your money on them. I use a hose on the valve stem and a electric drill when doing my lapping.

Go on youtube and there are DIY on how to do lapping. What I do is take a strong flash light or something like that and shine it on the intake or exhaust port and I have the head in a dark room or something and I check for light coming through the valve when it is seated. If I see no light I still do a lapping just to make sure I have a good valve seating.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ill take a pic of my valve spring compressor, but its a simple C clamp with a wooden fork on the business end so you can compress the spring, then properly place the keepers instead of hoping they fall into place.

But yeah valve lapping is easy couple bucks for valve lapping compound a the auto parts store and a scrap piece of proper sized vacuum / fuel hose n call it good.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
for a bit more than the price of large c-clamp, this makes valve jobs so much easier. combine it with a magnetic pick-up tool and the keepers are out with ease.

https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Valve-Compressor-Automotive-Tool/dp/B01CQGZHY4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1510363618&sr=8-7&keywords=valve+spring+compressor

in regards the suction based lapping tool, only works well if the valve is clean. i usually put the valve in drill and use various grits of sandpaper to clean off any deposits. once done, the suction tools works just fine.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Ill take a pic of my valve spring compressor, but its a simple C clamp with a wooden fork on the business end so you can compress the spring, then properly place the keepers instead of hoping they fall into place.
basically what mine is too. i also 3d printed the bit to hold the springs tho so it would sit nicely on the plate, and still allow you to get your fingers in to place the keepers.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
for a bit more than the price of large c-clamp, this makes valve jobs so much easier. combine it with a magnetic pick-up tool and the keepers are out with ease.

https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Valve-Compressor-Automotive-Tool/dp/B01CQGZHY4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1510363618&sr=8-7&keywords=valve+spring+compressor

in regards the suction based lapping tool, only works well if the valve is clean. i usually put the valve in drill and use various grits of sandpaper to clean off any deposits. once done, the suction tools works just fine.
If i was doing more head rebuilds id buy that! Awesome deal there. Maybe way down the road if i ever have to do a refresh on the WR450 with its 5 valve head!

basically what mine is too. i also 3d printed the bit to hold the springs tho so it would sit nicely on the plate, and still allow you to get your fingers in to place the keepers.
Freaking technology! Thats cool Did the 3d printed plastic hold up?

Also i did, T O N S of grinding with a dremmel this weekend on the intake. To open up the stock intake tube, manifold isolator, throttle body, throttle body plate and intake port. I did a mod to the throttle body plate that REALLY opened up and smoothed the airflow path.

I am going to take pics and document everything in my build thread.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Freaking technology! Thats cool Did the 3d printed plastic hold up?
Very well, yeah. I made one for both the stock head and the Koso head (?18mm? retainer vs stock ?22mm?).

Of course, its not as strong as the metal ones, and there isnt as much room to get a needle nose in there for the valve keepers, but it worked and didnt flex/buckle. The good thing is the part was in compression, so its pretty strong, as opposed to it being in tensile and literally ripping the layers apart.

There are even some [engineered] plastic resins that are stronger than aluminum (solely on a 1:1 size), and most times lighter. Theyre awesome. Unfortunately... you cant 3D print those. And they always have trade-offs vs metals.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Also note, franco again delete all of my comments to his combative reply on the FB post.
So this entire thread talking about the SUPERHEAD quality is actually going off of your findings on an OVERSIZED 125cc Head not the Superhead as stated in the OP? If you got the standard oversized head thats the exact same I've had for the past 2 years. getting close to 3,000 track miles on it and not a single problem. I didn't mess with it I didn't try to clean it up, I just threw my DCR stage 2 Cam in it and Koso 34 flipped on top and was good to go. Even with the Cam that 1/2 the ppl on this forum swear doesn't work with the finbro head! Runs like a champ and I ride the piss out of it. Hell I even forgot to put one of the guide pins on the new head before I installed LOL guess I lined it up and torqued it just right!

Ive never had any finbro problems and have gotten everything through Franco. My buddy JJ had an Issue with a finbro motor another vendor sold him and Franco actually helped him with the warranty claim because the original vendor(opposite of soft racing) didn't want to do anything other than say take it up with Finbro.

The point I'm trying to make here is that what type of break down in communication had to happen for a shit show like this to ensure between you and Franco?

Did you install and run the Head before you started making the claims on quality/performance? or did you just look at the overall quality and take the liberty to clean it all up and then post all this negativity because you felt like you didn't get the quality that YOU wanted lol??? Did you talk to Franco first or was the Thread your method of communication???
LOL if so than I understand why he's deleting comments I mean he's basically been deleted off of here thanks to the wonderfull world of forum sponsors.....

When I first got my 125 oversized head from Finbro USA I took one look and was like WTF??? I called Franco expressing my concerns about the head and he was more than helpful and even offered to send me another if I sent the original back. I ended up throwing it all together and just like he said (it aint pretty but it works). You get what you pay for !!!

Why can't we all just be friends???

And all this talk of quality is coming from the guy who literally started the fork mod with stacked washers and loss of travel. LOL BRO!!!

If you had K-Techs up front I might be a little more convinced of your genuine concern for quality parts.

no hard feelings this shit just cracks me up sometimes !

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Some Humans put blame on the products, others and so on, me I look at the problem if there is one, decide if I can fix it myself esp if I already got a stealer price on the product and if I do find a solution I send the information back to the seller/vendor and also post it here if it is a Grom product so others will avoid the pit falls. Sometimes I do mess up and post some not so good information but I live and learn and move on.

Life is like a big soup pot sometimes you throw in the right amount of ingredients and sometimes you throw in too much salt. It's the salt that sometimes kills the soup.

Ride safe all, Fricken rainy season in California San Jose, oh well at lease ski/snowboard season starts this weekend.

·
Registered
303 Posts
lol Franco said ND4 never reached out to him or anything.....he just killed the soup i guess. He said if he had he would have been more than happy to send him a new one or work with him to resolve any issues.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The head i got is the superhead. 27/23mm valves. Not the 26.5mm/22mm valve head you speak of.

There was nothing that Franco / Finbro would of been able to do to make the situation better, All of their superheads are fresh out of machining with no polishing of the combustion chamber as they do not feel the need to. Thats cool thats fine, But when you can cut your finger on the edges within a combustion chamber thats no bueno in my opinion. Especially not when the stock head doesnt have nearly as hard of sharp edges.

Also, in the lovely Finbro quality, The valves they used are slightly longer that stock, completely understandable given that they are not stock valves. Problem comes from the fact because they are longer you have to back out the adjustment on the rockers almost all the way. The spring top seat they used is NOT the same as the original ones in my stock head and they actually were touching the rockers. I had to disassemble the stock head and use the top spring seats from there in the new superhead to create some sort of clearance due to the slightly different edge shape of the spring seat.

Like stated before. This whole thread was simply to let people know the quality they were getting when they purchased a 250 dollar head from franco. FYI Franco was going to charge 350 bucks shipped for the 28/24 mm valve head ..... same EXACT head from monkey father (francos source) was 270 shipped.... i wish i had gone that route.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've been buying Finbro parts direct since 2014 and admittedly I've had some issues with QC. That said, they've always taken care of everything with service that's unmatched by most USA companies, I daresay it's almost been Amazon-like. I've also dealt with Franco a couple times to get some stuff that I needed quickly that he had in stock and he always communicated well. I really can't say anything bad about dealing with him. The way I see it is that there's no other company that can provide the same value per dollar. You may need to put some work in to the final product, but that's not very uncommon for the performance aftermarket world. I paid more to have a reputable engine builder here in the states port my Koso head than I've paid for an entire ported, big valve Finbro head. If you want a ready to install Finbro product, Hard Racing is really good about doing their own QC and only selling products that they know won't need any customer modification to work.

I purchased my 27/23 directly from the monkey father for $190 shipped. Took three weeks to get it. FF in my opinion.
He must like you. I spend quite a bit of money yearly with them and that's lower than my cost without even factoring shipping in.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts