Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
What are the other reasons?

It's obvious the stock head is very restrictive.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk
Some other reasons are outlined in the first post of this thread.

A stock head, yes. The valves are big enough to make plenty of power for my needs, just needs decent port work

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Finbro works great, see what online paying vendors who are still selling Finbro motors and parts.

BBK heads and such from various vendors I would still go over the head and valves and do my own porting and lapping just so that I know it will work to my inspection/specification.

Speed cost money and also re-inspection of parts and maybe a little fine tuning/porting/sanding/filing just to make it the way you want. I do that all the time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've heard that these finbro superheads came with offset valve guides, bit did not correct the angle of offset in valve spring rests (valve guides are at the wrong angle positioned to valve springs), so they will wear out fast.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
im pretty sure for the bigger valves, they just machine new seats and barely increase the smallest diameter of the runner.
(from what i have seen in pics)

woah woah woah. pump the brakes.

are these aluminum shavings?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those aren't shavings, just the original head castings that was never touched.

The 26.5/22mm finbro head I use maybe got me 2 mph top speed on a 181cc. I touched up the combustion chamber and ported the intake and exhaust ports myself. First time doing it and got another 5 mph top speed out of it. Took out 10 long hours. Long, but enjoyable experience. The reason why I got the Grom in the first place was to tinker with it anyways.

IMG_3531.JPG IMG_3532.JPG IMG_3533.JPG

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've heard that these finbro superheads came with offset valve guides, bit did not correct the angle of offset in valve spring rests (valve guides are at the wrong angle positioned to valve springs), so they will wear out fast.
Numerous people have found this issue. Whether it's since been fixed I'm not sure, but the problem is known to exist.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
im pretty sure for the bigger valves, they just machine new seats and barely increase the smallest diameter of the runner.
(from what i have seen in pics)

woah woah woah. pump the brakes.

are these aluminum shavings?
Naw like stated thats just original casting. When i get the stock head out im going to pull the valves on it and see how big the ID of the port at the valve is to see how much extra flow you are really getting with this "superhead"

Numerous people have found this issue. Whether it's since been fixed I'm not sure, but the problem is known to exist.
Offset valve guide? interesting. I think they have fixed the issues with the valves on the superhead, that was in one of the first batches if im not mistaken.

Also, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH mr franco deleted my responces to the facebook post. Dude cant take criticism.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Naw like stated thats just original casting. When i get the stock head out im going to pull the valves on it and see how big the ID of the port at the valve is to see how much extra flow you are really getting with this "superhead"

Offset valve guide? interesting. I think they have fixed the issues with the valves on the superhead, that was in one of the first batches if im not mistaken.

Also, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH mr franco deleted my responces to the facebook post. Dude cant take criticism.
I think sometimes you have to go with the flow of life, sometimes you receive good parts and sometimes receive bad parts, I have received bad parts from vendors but I do not post it online, I contact the person that sold me the product and try to right the wrong or fixed the problem.

In business sometimes you are stuck with what the manufacturer/supplier sends you and you hope you are getting good quality stuff. You are hoping that these suppliers will back up their product with warranty and such. I'm sure Franco and others have replaced and swapped out stuff to satisfy their customer base.

I tell people in the real world if you don't like what you receive return the product and ask for your money back and do your own modification and porting yourself that way you will learn how EZ or how hard it is.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think sometimes you have to go with the flow of life, sometimes you receive good parts and sometimes receive bad parts, I have received bad parts from vendors but I do not post it online, I contact the person that sold me the product and try to right the wrong or fixed the problem.

In business sometimes you are stuck with what the manufacturer/supplier sends you and you hope you are getting good quality stuff. You are hoping that these suppliers will back up their product with warranty and such. I'm sure Franco and others have replaced and swapped out stuff to satisfy their customer base.

I tell people in the real world if you don't like what you receive return the product and ask for your money back and do your own modification and porting yourself that way you will learn how EZ or how hard it is.

Ride safe.

I definitely tend to agree. But the whole process of getting this head in my hands in the first place was kind of a mess. I had been asking Franco for quite some time about availability of a 28/24mm head and finally had to resort to facebook to ask, at which point he said he only had one 27/23mm superhead in stock left. So i grabbed that. Unfortunately finbro is the only game in town for a larger head. Also id be willing to bet that if i got a replacement head from franco.... it would likely be identical in quality, im not the first with QA issues from finbro and i wont be the last.

I find it fun to work on the head like this, but for 250 bucks i expected better,

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I definitely tend to agree. But the whole process of getting this head in my hands in the first place was kind of a mess. I had been asking Franco for quite some time about availability of a 28/24mm head and finally had to resort to facebook to ask, at which point he said he only had one 27/23mm superhead in stock left. So i grabbed that. Unfortunately finbro is the only game in town for a larger head. Also id be willing to bet that if i got a replacement head from franco.... it would likely be identical in quality, im not the first with QA issues from finbro and i wont be the last.

I find it fun to work on the head like this, but for 250 bucks i expected better,
I think of another person that are getting super heads made to their spec esp for 125cc engines check with
Brylo Ren

he might have some goodies that are special made for the groms esp the heads.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
i fully expected to have to look it over and do some rework when i got it, but wasn't expecting the sharp points in the chamber. regardless, i think i paid 220? or so direct from monkey father. i got it quick, admittedly. and was happy with the result. its like buying aluminum aftermarket heads for a v8. your going to have to work them somewhat for your setup unless you spend BIG money from a reputable source. i didnt think 220 was bad, shipped.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
i fully expected to have to look it over and do some rework when i got it, but wasn't expecting the sharp points in the chamber. regardless, i think i paid 220? or so direct from monkey father. i got it quick, admittedly. and was happy with the result. its like buying aluminum aftermarket heads for a v8. your going to have to work them somewhat for your setup unless you spend BIG money from a reputable source. i didnt think 220 was bad, shipped.
a bargain is a bargain and if you know how to make something ruff into a smooth diamond then you are a head of the game by a mile.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

what size valves were in that head? 220 is a good deal and it looks like you got even bigger valves than i did!

21 - 40 of 98 Posts