Honda Grom banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
If you are going to run/use the 186cc piston make sure to upgrade your Crank to the Kitaco HD crank, add the 4th bearing support for the flywheel side.

Finbro heads are bullet proof, I used them when I was running Finbro 183cc 2v kits that Hard racing was selling with their custom made JE piston. I tried to blow up my 183 engine and that dam thing would not blow up with many high revving runs. The only way you could blow it up if you drained the oil out of the engine.

Make sure you run or use a good CCV "oil catch can" system, you need to get rid of the Crank case pressure and heat.

by the way when I was running the old Finbro 183-2v BBK kit I used duel valve spring setup and I also used the ground cam that was made for the BrianS 170 engine with the special end valve stem caps that he also provided to help with the angle of the cut cam from doing a early wear on the rocker arm tip.

·
Registered
102 Posts

1. If you are going to run/use the 186cc piston make sure to upgrade your Crank to the Kitaco HD crank, add the 4th bearing support for the flywheel side.

Finbro heads are bullet proof, I used them when I was running Finbro 183cc 2v kits that Hard racing was selling with their custom made JE piston. I tried to blow up my 183 engine and that dam thing would not blow up with many high revving runs. The only way you could blow it up if you drained the oil out of the engine.

Make sure you run or use a good CCV "oil catch can" system, you need to get rid of the Crank case pressure and heat.

by the way when I was running the old Finbro 183-2v BBK kit I used duel valve spring setup and I also used the ground cam that was made for the BrianS 170 engine with the special end valve stem caps that he also provided to help with the angle of the cut cam from doing a early wear on the rocker arm tip.
    I've heard of people using catch cans and considered buying one used on here, is it actually worth the money or just something on a list that you may as well buy once you get far enough down the list.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m the guy getting the Yoshimura ST-2M cam.

If you look at the Yoshimura ST-1M cam on the “Farkas Chart”, the lift and duration numbers are way different than what Yoshimura claims. The “Farkas Chart“ shows duration at 271in/270ex with lift at 5.37mm in/5.27mm ex. Yoshimura says the duration is 225in/220ex With lift at 6.25mm in/6.25mm ex.

So who knows what the ST-2M numbers actually are! Cameron Jones has tested both cams back to back. He says he was impressed with both. He said the ST-2M was a pretty good mid range and top end cam. Not unlike a TB/R2.

From what I’ve read on Webike (reviews) and Yoshimura’s site (dyno charts) it appears to give up very little over the ST-1M cam on the bottom end.

I have a feeling it’s going to be great. I’m betting the Yoshimura doesn’t lose as much on the bottom end, like the TB cam.

David (DHM) recently told me he hopes to have more heads available soon. I emailed him again about changes I want to make to my current setup. Just waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The translated description for the ST-2M cam on the Webike website says:

“By adopting a new Original polynomial profile, we realized Stage 2 Com without Valve Spring exchange.”

So maybe the stock valve springs will be ok for now. Currently my rev limiter is set at 10,000rpms. If I get a DHM head, it comes with “upgraded“ valve springs. I’m not sure what they are though.

I might do a big bore kit one day. It will definitely be a Kitaco Neo 181. I really like that kit. I already have all of the supporting parts, except an aRacer Mini 5.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I was just asking myself about this just the other day when I ran across the finbro head. I've actually been considering ordering one to run on my dhm 186 kit, I just couldnt confirm of the valves would fit with the dhm piston cut outs.
I slapped everything together last night and the bike did not want to fire up..I had fuel, spark, compression, timing was good, I’m leading to believe maybe the valves don’t fit with the piston cut outs on the 186.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts