Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone out there using a finbro 125 head set up with a DHM 186 piston and jug?
Ive been using this head with the finbro high compression piston and its been working great so far, but I have a 186 on the way and was wondering if this is going to be compatible. I dont see why it wouldnt, but just wanna make sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It should, DHM uses the Finbro heads as a base for their ported heads. If you have any doubt email DHM directly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It should, DHM uses the Finbro heads as a base for their ported heads. If you have any doubt email DHM directly.
I didn’t know DHM used Finbro heads as a base. I thought the Finbro heads had mixed quality from all the reading on this forum?

I’m not knocking them, I just thought some people complained about poor quality parts, like valves and poor workmanship, with things not lining up properly, sharp edges in the combustion chamber, etc. I know I’ve read some stuff about it. Are the new Finbro heads better quality?

Again I’m not hating, in fact, I’m interested in a DHM head. I guess I assumed DHM started with a completely stock head and built from there. From what it says on DHM’s website, it sounds like they make sure everything is right.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Not sure if DHM sources heads from Finbro or not. BUT if they do, then at least you can take comfort that there is another layer of quality control that happens before you receive the head.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I’ve read that before, but I’m still not sure if DHM uses Finbro heads as a base. Finbro heads are OEM heads, I believe.

It doesn’t matter all that much to me. I’m sure David sells good stuff.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can you run a head like this with the stock piston? I’m not worried about valve clearance issues, just curious if the low compression piston works well with a larger valve ported head. Do you really need the higher compression piston?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you run a head like this with the stock piston? I’m not worried about valve clearance issues, just curious if the low compression piston works well with a larger valve ported head. Do you really need the higher compression piston?
Answers on here

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hmmm. Thanks.

I wonder if the higher compression piston will affect reliability longer term.

I imagine a cam with lots of valve overlap causes some compression loss, so maybe a piston like the Kitaco 12.2:1 version 2, wouldn’t be too hard on the motor?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was just asking myself about this just the other day when I ran across the finbro head. I've actually been considering ordering one to run on my dhm 186 kit, I just couldnt confirm of the valves would fit with the dhm piston cut outs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also no to steal OPs thread but when a change like that is made to the head (port/polish and bigger valves) what kind of tuning is needed for that. Or could I just slap it on and let it eat

·
Registered
903 Posts
I actually have also considered the street head for piece of mind on fitment as well. And with dhm they'd be able to answer all the questions I'd have. But for 200 bucks you really have to consider the finbros head.
I hear you on price point.... Have no experience with finbro parts, but have read a ton of poor quality experiences from others.

Things to consider:
Ive read alot of your postings you are like most want Reliability in your grom with selected mods,,, Quality Control is priceless
Your also going with Yosh St-2m cam correct??? Looking at lift for that cam which advertise higher than Dcr2Pro = Valve Float!!!
Not sure what your rev will be set at,,, But that yosh is a High Rpm Cam... so you will def want upgraded valve springs (more $$$ later),
not sure if finbro comes with upgraded springs or seals,,, nor is anyone going out of their way to clean up any imperfections.

DHM: If you havent reached out to him,,, DO IT! Explain to him your build what is your looking for...
He will cover all bases of what works and what works best, Plus he is very loyal to his customers...
Growth in your build... he is always telling me when or If I upgrade? He will re-work the head I purchased from him almost two years ago to suffice...

Something else he offers by request is his 147cc or 153cc HC Pistons (sleepers! lol)

Edit: My bad that was someone else going with Yosh St-2m cam.... But you get the point.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hear you on price point.... Have no experience with finbro parts, but have read a ton of poor quality experiences from others.

Things to consider:
Ive read alot of your postings you are like most want Reliability in your grom with selected mods,,, Quality Control is priceless
Your also going with Yosh St-2m cam correct??? Looking at lift for that cam which advertise higher than Dcr2Pro = Valve Float!!!
Not sure what your rev will be set at,,, But that yosh is a High Rpm Cam... so you will def want upgraded valve springs (more $$$ later),
not sure if finbro comes with upgraded springs or seals,,, nor is anyone going out of their way to clean up any imperfections.

DHM: If you havent reached out to him,,, DO IT! Explain to him your build what is your looking for...
He will cover all bases of what works and what works best, Plus he is very loyal to his customers...
Growth in your build... he is always telling me when or If I upgrade? He will re-work the head I purchased from him almost two years ago to suffice...

Something else he offers by request is his 147cc or 153cc HC Pistons (sleepers! lol)

Edit: My bad that was someone else going with Yosh St-2m cam.... But you get the point.
I absolutely agree with about dhm. Hes fantastic. I actually purchased my 186bbk from him directly and he answered all of my questions during the install without hesitation. And I'm actually running a tb cam that's included with his kit. As for the finbros quality, I've also read more then a few times its lower then most. As of right now my rpm is set to 10k and I dont currently have plans of running past that. But i would like to get there faster. And with my gearing (17/32) on the 4 speed it pulls very similarly to a completely stock grom ( stock gearing as well) just goes faster with a lower rpm. As for valve float I'm not entirely worried about because I dont really plan on pushing the rpm limiter any higher. But your absolutely right, and honestly I'll probably end up with the dhm street port anyways with the bigger valves (titanium everything.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts