Honda Grom banner

161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Vendor
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Noticed on the site it says to use with premium gas, how important is this? I ask because I'm borderline about to buy one but I'm in Okinawa Japan and am assuming the one single gas option here is not what you would consider "premium" haha it's either this or the NEO

You definitely, have to run Premium on any High Compression BBK, or Motor.
Otherwise you get knock/detonation... which causes over heating and the piston to swell, and eventually lock up.

·
Registered
87 Posts

You definitely, have to run Premium on any High Compression BBK, or Motor.
Otherwise you get knock/detonation... which causes over heating and the piston to swell, and eventually lock up.

So being that im not 100% on the quality of gas here I simply cant go BBK is what you are saying?

Im curious why its impossible to find videos on this motor setup running, maybe im just a tard and not looking in the right places.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Found good gas out in town at a few gas stations so looks like I'm back on track now to decide which kit/motor to go with. Anyone got pictures of one of these cracked open? Would like to see the cylinder wall thickness, curious how thin these end up between the piston and chain

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are people still happy about this engine?
It sucks that nobody in my country does engine swaps. I don't want to spend $3000+ for something that barely has any reviews. I will never be able to sell the Grom, so whatever money I put into it will be lost.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ive honestly heard nothing but horror stories about these set ups. Friend of mine had to send his back because of an internal defect, and another dude posted his for sale cuz he got tired of trying to get it dialed in lol. they sound good and when my buddies ran it was for sure quick…..just don't need the issues.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
The problem with the 235 is the heat, vibration. It is a good running engine if you are great DIY your engine.

What this engine needs is a Crank like what is sold on the NEO kit.
It needs a better cylinder head combo like what the NEO kit is designed where the cylinder sleeve is machine and part of the cylinder wall.
A better designed crank case pressure relief circuit to reduce crank case pressure

·
Vendor
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Congrats to:
M. Sicotte
G. Homan
J. Headrick

B. Davis
A. Pena
and S. Watson

all newest members of the 235 club.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Happy with my setup so far, still breaking in but has ran smith since the first start up, obviously went with the 5row oil cooler and have yet to see the temps go past 210 usually dance around 180-190.

also for VOLVO the reason I went with this setup is so that when it comes time to move back to the states instead of dealing with a registration nightmare in California (I'm in Japan with a Japan spec 2016SF) I'll simply return my bike to stock with a pretty much new stock engine and find a new grom in the states with all the upgrades I want ready to go. Having a spare engine actually keeps me at ease in case the finbro does pop.

·
Vendor
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Happy with my setup so far, still breaking in but has ran smith since the first start up, obviously went with the 5row oil cooler and have yet to see the temps go past 210 usually dance around 180-190.

also for VOLVO the reason I went with this setup is so that when it comes time to move back to the states instead of dealing with a registration nightmare in California (I'm in Japan with a Japan spec 2016SF) I'll simply return my bike to stock with a pretty much new stock engine and find a new grom in the states with all the upgrades I want ready to go. Having a spare engine actually keeps me at ease in case the finbro does pop.

That's what we like to hear.

Thank you for chiming in.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
All BBK kit engines built for the Grom esp if used around the world, the first thing to consider is the cooling of the engine meaning a good oil cooler, second would be a heavy duty oil pump, third would be a good engine brace unit for vibration, forth would be a good map for F/A, Fifth a good Crank Case Vent system to reduce engine pressure, Six a good A/F-Temp-Voltage monitoring system.

Good break in on the engine to properly seat the compression rings on the engine

Good octane gas at lease 91 octane or better.

Good Fuel manage system

Good spark plug heat range

Good coil

Stay with Dino oil for the first 1000 miles than if you want to switch to full synthetic, for me I prefer Dino oil cause of the cost.

Keep a record of your A/F map, your compression at first build startup and later down the road such as 200 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles so you can manage your history of the engine can predict possible problems in the future. A leak down test every 1000 miles would be a good maintenance gauge of how good or bad the engine is.

Good luck to all the Finbro 235 engine builders, stay focused on your build and keep us informed, good or bad review.

Ride safe

·
Registered
303 Posts
All BBK kit engines built for the Grom esp if used around the world, the first thing to consider is the cooling of the engine meaning a good oil cooler, second would be a heavy duty oil pump, third would be a good engine brace unit for vibration, forth would be a good map for F/A, Fifth a good Crank Case Vent system to reduce engine pressure, Six a good A/F-Temp-Voltage monitoring system.

Good break in on the engine to properly seat the compression rings on the engine

Good know octane gas at lease 91 octane or better.

Good Fuel manage system

Good spark plug heat range

Good coil

Stay with Dino oil for the first 1000 miles than if you want to switch to full synthetic, for me I prefer Dino oil cause of the cost.

Keep a record of your A/F map, your compression at first build startup and later down the road such as 200 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles so you can manage your history of the engine can predict possible problems in the future. A leak down test every 1000 miles would be a good maintenance gauge of how good or bad the engine is.

Good luck to all the Finbro 235 engine builders, stay focused on your build and keep us informed, good or bad review.

Ride safe
check, check , and check. My friends 235 had an internal failure. The balance weight on the crank came loose and locked the rod……..

thank god for Finbro warranty because hard racing basically said contact them they cant help….. $3500 later.

·
Registered
303 Posts
yow. pressed in weight? what is this, 1972?
EXACTLY !!!! aside from his internal failure….the bike would never idle right, the TB adjustment is a pain, no idle air screw, LOTS of power but down low it was a mess. Mind you this was with Finbro ECU that was made for this motor. i could keep going with the little issues. But for all that money why are we having to deal with all this? If i spent 3500 for a motor set up that thing better be flawless….heck it better come with a massage and happy ending. FINBRO is doing a great job going out of their way to make it right for JJ. Franko at Finbro garage is awesome.

·
Vendor
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
.........……..

thank god for Finbro warranty because hard racing basically said contact them they cant help….. $3500 later.

Wait..? What ?

Can you show us where you contacted us and we said, we won't help ?

We don't show any record of this ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I must have gotten lucky for once (knocks on wood) mine was an insanely easy and smooth install minus the clocking flange I got was faulty but monkeyfather sent a replacement instantly. Other than that I had to adjust the tb maybe a half a turn and it's been idling good ever since. Granted it's still breaking in I'm just waiting for it to blow simply because I'm never this lucky haha constantly keeping an eye on temps I'm hopeful, good to hear the customer service is there just in case

·
Registered
303 Posts

Wait..? What ?

Can you show us where you contacted us and we said, we won't help ?

We don't show any record of this ?

It was a phone call. Ill have to ask JJ who he talked to but i know he wasn't happy. He was told that Finbro would be the people to contact and that hard racing couldn't do anything for him.

·
Vendor
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
It was a phone call. Ill have to ask JJ who he talked to but i know he wasn't happy. He was told that Finbro would be the people to contact and that hard racing couldn't do anything for him.

Well luckily all our sales calls are recorded for quality assurance.

So, we would definitely like to know who JJ is, and when he called and what's his phone number ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Probably just frustration, if you consider the situation, the engines are built to order by finbro whom ships directly to hard racings customers (minus TB and cooling kit) it's not so much that HD can't do anything for the customer, it's just the situation makes it so if you do go through HD it's adding a middleman why not talk to finbro about their product. Well that was my thinking at least and it got me answers immediately when I asked them. Both have been accommodating in their own ways (HD/finbro/monkeyfather)

161 - 180 of 213 Posts