Honda Grom banner

201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I'm not even a costumer, and even I have had good experiences with HardRacing. They replied to me both on Youtube and on the forum.
(I'm based in Europe, and import tax from the USA is a dealbreaker, else I would be a costumer).

Soooooo, meanwhile I'm still waiting for a 235cc review video... None of the lucky people happen to own a GoPro?
I have ridden with Franco who had a 235cc Finbro motor installed on his grom before his grom got stolen and here is a slight report on the performance with the engine using the Finbro ECM.

Both Franco and I rode to San Francisco from San Jose/East Palo Alto which is about a 45-49 mile ride on the Freeway. Cruzing is about 65-70mph no problem with both groms of which mind's was the BrianS 170cc grom. Franco's just was cruzing along with zero issues and only change was a engine brace that was needed to cut down on the engine vibrations of the 235 motor. The only other problem with the 235cc engine is that you really do need a external oil cooler and that is where a Kitaco clutch side cover and takegawa HD oil pump comes into play. Other than that the 235cc engine is a solid engine to have just as long you can tame the heat and cooling of the motor.

I'm surprise there aren't reports on the reliability of the 235 engine grom owners in the USA or Hawaii.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm still baffled by that myself, I just moved to Okinawa Japan in September and it's most comparable to Hawaii weather wise typically hot as balls and even more humid �� Right now it's 70 and raining. Will probably report back again when it's in the triple digits again as I bet no one else will have reviewed still

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I'm still baffled by that myself, I just moved to Okinawa Japan in September and it's most comparable to Hawaii weather wise typically hot as balls and even more humid ? Right now it's 70 and raining. Will probably report back again when it's in the triple digits again as I bet no one else will have reviewed still
Have fun in Japan, lots to see, I love Kamakura Japan since that is where I seen my first surf shop. Train system is nice esp when you can buy beer like you buy soda from the soda machines.

How many custom groms or BBK kit groms have you seen in Japan?

make sure to learn Japanese and have a Happy New Year

·
Registered
87 Posts
Taking Japanese this coming semester to hopefully learn faster. Haven't found locals with modded groms yet just a few other American service members. On this tiny island though there is a pretty big ruckus/zoomer following. Attempting to get all the groms together soon and organize a squad. Not the first time I hear about Kamakura so must be a good time will keep it on the list of destinations thanks and happy New Years

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Well never mind they dont recommend or carry them any more.
Go to FB and search MonkeyFather direct from Thailand and he might be selling those engine. The best in my opinion is his 204-4v engine is the best made, I wouldn't go with the 235cc-2v if he still sells them or better yet get his 300cc made frame and get a donor Honda 300cc engine for it, it is better and more reliable than the big bore kits, because it is water cooled, 6 speed engine and the engine is mount correctly in the frame not like the other 300cc transplant frame kit for the grom

·
Registered
159 Posts
Go to FB and search MonkeyFather direct from Thailand and he might be selling those engine. The best in my opinion is his 204-4v engine is the best made, I wouldn't go with the 235cc-2v if he still sells them or better yet get his 300cc made frame and get a donor Honda 300cc engine for it, it is better and more reliable than the big bore kits, because it is water cooled, 6 speed engine and the engine is mount correctly in the frame not like the other 300cc transplant frame kit for the grom
Thanks for the advice. Looked them up. Hope they respond.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
did you find an answer? i'm more curious than anything.
If you are looking at the custom/mod made 300cc transplant frame that sets the donor 250-300 Honda engine in the right position, I talked to Awirut Kanploy who is the owner of MonkeyFather Thailand and the frame comes with all the mounting hardware for the engine for about $995 plus shipping. You have to have your own donor engine with it's wire harness, your own plastic "old grom", your own grom swing arm or custom swing arm, front handle bar, tubes and switches. That's about it. I like the idea that the 300 engine sits straight up and normal and does not need the extra chain sprocket kit to keep the chain off the swing arm.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Sh*t, that's not bad at all!
Yep that is what I said, Awirut Kanploy even sent me some videos of him and his friend testing the new fame in Thailand, man does that grom scoot. If you contact Awirut via Facebook he will respond to you. Tell him you talked to CiscoSanJose and he knows me. Good luck, I'm thinking of doing a donor 300 kit but I have to finish off on my Takegawa 181-4v engine until I get it perfect right the right reliable custom made parts, still working on getting custom made forged 181-4v piston for my build since the CAST takegawa piston still flake or break a part after about 800- 2000 miles of use or hard racing start stop pulls at the stop light or racing bigger MC or cars.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts