Honda Grom banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,,
so long story short, i wedged my bike under a guard rail. i came out fine. the grom had some damage. i bent a "clip on style" handlebar, tweeked the front end, and bent the front brake rotor.

i replaced the bars so their good.

with the bars straight the wheel was pointing to the right. i loosened up the triple tree and twisted the forks/jig jogged things around till it appeared straight.

anyone have any input on that? like how would yall do it and what else should i look for as far as the front end.

the brake rotor was bent causing the wheel to drag but i have one on the way.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Usually, if nothing serious (no fork damage); loosing the axle bolt, then triples, adjust the forks (if necessary), then button everything back up again, in reverse order. Note: front fender should be removed. Also, you can youtube motorcycle fork alignment ;)

To test fork travel, hold the front brake firmly (locking front brake), put / push weight into the bars to fully compress the front forks, then release weight. Do this several times, to ensure suspension travels freely up and down. If a leg sticks or feel some binding, a fork(s) may be bent, or forks may need to be re-adjusted again. Again, fork travel should travel up and down freely.

Also, check the front wheel that it spins freely, and that the brake rotor / disc is not binding / sticking against brake pads.

If the front end got banged up pretty good, I would suggest getting the forks inspected (and straightened), if damaged. Or, just replace them. You do NOT want to ride on bent fork(s). The suspension could bind, and you may find yourself on the ground, again. Not worth the risk.

OTOH, depending how bad the front end took the hit, Inspect the frame for any damage too (near the steering stem). If damaged, replace the frame. Or, part out your Grom, then get another one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Usually, if nothing serious (no fork damage); loosing the axle bolt, then triples, adjust the forks (if necessary), then button everything back up again, in reverse order. Note: front fender should be removed. Also, you can youtube motorcycle fork alignment ;)

To test fork travel, hold the front brake firmly (locking front brake), put / push weight into the bars to fully compress the front forks, then release weight. Do this several times, to ensure suspension travels freely up and down. If a leg sticks or feel some binding, a fork(s) may be bent, or forks may need to be re-adjusted again. Again, fork travel should travel up and down freely.

Also, check the front wheel that it spins freely, and that the brake rotor / disc is not binding / sticking against brake pads.

If the front end got banged up pretty good, I would suggest getting the forks inspected (and straightened), if damaged. Or, just replace them. You do NOT want to ride on bent fork(s). The suspension could bind, and you may find yourself on the ground, again. Not worth the risk.

OTOH, depending how bad the front end took the hit, Inspect the frame for any damage too (near the steering stem). If damaged, replace the frame. Or, part out your Grom, then get another one.
Great advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts