·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2014 Grom
64 Posts
Got mine from Wayne a couple weeks ago, everything's good so far but I run my chain looser than most do.

Reactions: shush319

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got mine from Wayne a couple weeks ago, everything's good so far but I run my chain looser than most do.
My chain was stretched when I got the bike stock with 7k miles on it. Installed a new chain and a Yuminashi manual CCT that uses the stock spring, so it's definitely not too tight either. Motor is over 11-12k a lot, and this will definitely give me peace of mind......

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
677 Posts
I got mine yesterday, have to say the quality is TOP NOTCH.
Let's hope the bearings are up to the task. Time will tell.

What do you use as a guide for setting cam chain tension?

The sound method does not work for me.

I just make sure there is some slack in the chain in cam chain tunnel near the guide wheel, but not enough slack to contact the wall with max finger pressure.

P.S.: Joined the KTM 390 forum btw. Considering the 390 or 890 as next bike.

390 wet weight about 390lbs (ironic!) 42 hp
890 wet weight 405 LBS 111hp

I wish the 390 weighed less!

My Grom wet weighs 209 Lbs with around 20Hp

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let's hope the bearings are up to the task. Time will tell.

What do you use as a guide for setting cam chain tension?

The sound method does not work for me.

I just make sure there is some slack in the chain in cam chain tunnel near the guide wheel, but not enough slack to contact the wall with max finger pressure.

P.S.: Joined the KTM 390 forum btw. Considering the 390 or 890 as next bike.

390 wet weight about 390lbs (ironic!) 42 hp
890 wet weight 405 LBS 111hp

I wish the 390 weighed less!

My Grom wet weighs 209 Lbs with around 20Hp
390, where did you see that? After the exhaust swap I am fairly sure mine is sub #300....... I am pushing 45ish hp to the wheel on my 2016 too :cool:

Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Number

I have a Yuminashi manual CCT on mine, it uses the stock spring and push rod (has a hard Yuminashi button on it too). I tighten it until I hear/feel the slop go away completely, then back it out about a quarter turn and lock it down. Really don't think it can get too tight with the stock spring in there & the Yumi adjuster is only adding a bit more pressure to it, but if you have the other type that eliminates the spring and stock push rod, I can see that easily being over tightened.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just looked up a 2020, guess they added more weight to them since the 2016 that I have! I imagine you can still get them under #300 though, most is in the exhaust/cat.. And you cannot really feel the weight, they're so well balanced that they flick around just as easy as a Grom.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just looked up a 2020, guess they added more weight to them since the 2016 that I have! I imagine you can still get them under #300 though, most is in the exhaust/cat.. And you cannot really feel the weight, they're so well balanced that they flick around just as easy as a Grom.
The damn rear shock probably weighs 15lb or so too! I put a 07 R1 shock on mine, its a bit longer and fully adjustable and shaved more weight, made a world of difference.

·
Registered
677 Posts

I have a Yuminashi manual CCT on mine, it uses the stock spring and push rod (has a hard Yuminashi button on it too). I tighten it until I hear/feel the slop go away completely, then back it out about a quarter turn and lock it down. Really don't think it can get too tight with the stock spring in there & the Yumi adjuster is only adding a bit more pressure to it, but if you have the other type that eliminates the spring and stock push rod, I can see that easily being over tightened.
Good pics and explanation of the differences between Yuminashi and Gromfatherz type chain tensioning rod, in this thread:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good pics and explanation of the differences between Yuminashi and Gromfatherz type chain tensioning rod, in this thread:

Cisco, always with the informative threads! LOL..... Wonder how his Benelli TNT 135 is coming along.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,515 Posts
Thinking of going with a lightened flywheel while I'm at it.

Any thoughts on this?
I have one, tried to return it but they would not give me my money back. I installed it at the same time as my DHM piston and ported head so who knows if it helps or hurts performance. The reason I hated it is because I spent HOURS picking shavings off of it before I would even think of installing it. It is magnetic and ends up covered in metal dust and shavings. When it arrived it looked like they might have shook it real hard to knock some of the metal off before mailing it to me. That was clean enough, ship it.

Reactions: shush319 and Pard

·
Registered
677 Posts
… The reason I hated it is because I spent HOURS picking shavings off of it before I would even think of installing it. It is magnetic and ends up covered in metal dust and shavings. When it arrived it looked like they might have shook it real hard to knock some of the metal off before mailing it to me. That was clean enough, ship it.
That is pretty outrageous. I may order one and give it a try. Air compressor to blow off the debris?

·
Registered
2014 Grom
64 Posts
I spent HOURS picking shavings off of it before I would even think of installing it.
That's unfortunate, but just for added perspective, mine arrived perfect and I haven't heard any complaints from the multitude of members in my group who've bought one. I've had JC ports heads for me also, and they've been great as well.

You'll get faster revs out of your motor with a lightened flywheel, but the reason for me purchasing one was to help avoid shearing the woodruff key in my crank, which happens on motors that make power.

·
Administrator
939 Posts
Wow - this is a nice piece. I haven't bought a Grom part in a loooooong time. Looks like thats about to change.

Also, that billet case in OP's pic is BALLIN'!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts