Honda Grom banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the resident forum featherweight and performance mod-oriented guy, I figured I'd chronicle my performance mods and outcomes for other guys my size, since it seems like most of the info for out there is for bigger riders.

So far I've done the airbox mod along with ECU reset and temporary DIY fender eliminator. Super simple and free. I noticed mostly better sound, slightly better mid range power and noticeably improved throttle response across the rev band. The best flat-ground top speed I've seen on GPS (Ulysses speedometer app for Android, running on a Galaxy Note II) is 72 mph with a full tuck and no wind.

I just finished installing my 14T front sprocket and I have a K&N cone intake that should be here tomorrow, UPS man willing. I'll update my results here.

-Philip

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't see anything here that qualifies you as a featherweight guru. I have every mod you list. Does that make me the heavyweight guru?

Where's the titanium bolts?
Do without certain brackets/parts/etc?
Where are the weight savings?

Come correct here man.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm a little lighter @ 5' 10" 128lbs. Fastest I have gone was 73mph indicated so that's about 68mph real world on a very slight downhill not really tucked with a 14 tooth sprocket. Mods are a full tyga exhaust and radiator hose
K&n filter mod. I don't think weight makes too much of a difference in top speed. I think mostly the wind and hills plays a large effect.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey now, I am 5'5" and 110! :disappointed: Does that make me lighter than a feather?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is there a Heavyweight Thread started yet?? 6'5 285lbs :furious:............

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I don't see anything here that qualifies you as a featherweight guru. I have every mod you list. Does that make me the heavyweight guru?

Where's the titanium bolts?
Do without certain brackets/parts/etc?
Where are the weight savings?

Come correct here man.
I never claimed to be a guru, and I didnt mean that I'm doing weight-saving mods. What I meant was that the majority of the posters here are big guys, so their results from various mods may differ from us smaller guys. That being said, I've worked most of my adult life in the automotive industry, with a lot of experience in the BMW Motorsport aftermarket tuning sector. I'm not talking out of my ass here, just trying to share info that might help other guys decide on what mods are worthwhile. Don't be a turd-burglar about it. For example;

The 14T was a waste of $7 in my opinion. I put the stock 15T back on and ordered a 16T.

The K&N is awesome. It doesnt run out of breath in the top end any more, the bike absolutely fuckin rips all the way to the redline and I'm still running the stock Ca-legal exhaust.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just threw the 16T on and did a quick shakedown run. I only got an indicated 60mph, so I have no idea if my actual top speed will be any higher but it felt great. I had no problem banging off the rev limiter in 4th with the 15T, so hopefully I'll still be able to get near there.

I think this mod will really be more beneficial after I get the RS-9.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts