Honda Grom banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've bought a Msx 125 three months ago, and it's an amazing bike. One thing that is buggering me is that whenever I'm still and I try to engage the first gear (from a second for instance) the gear doesn't insert properly, it doesn't do any typical "Clunk" sound, and the shifter is very flappy. This set the gear in neutral, without the "N" light switched on. To properly insert the first then I have to release the clutch, rev the engine, and then insert the 1st gear which will smoothly get properly inserted then.

Issue is that it is not a problem that happens once in a while, but every single time! Since my commute is full of traffic lights, well, it's not very pleasant. :crying:
Checked the chain slack, the shifter cable and they seem fine.

Anyone had a similar issue? Any solutions?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Maybe your shift linkage is worn out? Is there a lot of play in the shift lever? If so you could try the rose joint linkage mod. I did it on mine and it does help.

Also, hard racing makes a shift shaft support bracket to help hold it steady.

Edit: I had a similar issue when I thought my clutch cable was adjusted properly. Turns out it wasn't. I had to make it tighter. Play around at the bottom end if you've adjusted all the slack at the top. Just make sure you get those nuts tight or they'll vibrate loose.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the shift shaft support and DIY linkage and this is still an occurring symptom on this bike. If I come to a stop light in first gear with the clutch pulled in, I cannot put it in neutral at all unless I rock the bike forward or backward. If I come rolling to the stop, I can put the bike in neutral. And about that first gear down clunk feeling, I only get that sometimes. I wonder if the upgraded transmission has a better feel to it.

·
Banned
714 Posts
when you aren't moving, and the clutch is disengaged, both the input shaft and output shaft in your transmission are stationary, if the shift dog isn't lined up with 1st while you're sitting there in 2nd, it's not going to go in. this is true for all motorbike transmissions

what's happening is that the shift forks are trying to put the dog into 1st gear, but being misaligned the dog won't go in, this leaves the dog parked between gears in a false neutral. the neutral light doesn't light up because the neutral sensor does not detect this position.

engaging the clutch at this point puts the input shaft back into motion and allows the dogs to engage first gear when you disengage the clutch and quickly shift into first.

i believe that the tendency for this to happen is greater on the grom than on larger bikes because the transmission parts are so light. once you disengage the clutch it won't take long for the input shaft to stop spinning. on larger engines there is much more mass in the transmission and the input shaft won't stop for a fair bit longer.

what you need to be doing is selecting the gear immediately after disengaging the clutch, don't stop in 2nd with the clutch pulled, then try to make your shifts later.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I always check mine at the lights. I will slowly let the clutch out and see if it grabs. If it does then I pull the clutch back in. If not I continue to let it out all of the way then resqueeze the clutch and then shift into first. This is the only thing that I know of and it works well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi all,

I've bought a Msx 125 three months ago, and it's an amazing bike. One thing that is buggering me is that whenever I'm still and I try to engage the first gear (from a second for instance) the gear doesn't insert properly, it doesn't do any typical "Clunk" sound, and the shifter is very flappy. This set the gear in neutral, without the "N" light switched on. To properly insert the first then I have to release the clutch, rev the engine, and then insert the 1st gear which will smoothly get properly inserted then.

Issue is that it is not a problem that happens once in a while, but every single time! Since my commute is full of traffic lights, well, it's not very pleasant. :crying:
Checked the chain slack, the shifter cable and they seem fine.

Anyone had a similar issue? Any solutions?

Thank you!
Just posted in another thread. I am having this issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts