Honda Grom banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some states (Florida for example) consider extended warranties to be a insurance policy and are regulated by the state insurance commission. In Florida you cannot discount a extended warranty and you cannot overcharge, you must charge the MSRP of the warranty ($500 on the Grom) or you can opt to give it away in the deal. Honda charges the dealership $250 for that extended warranty. If your dealer is charging you more than $500 then they can also charge you less. Negotiation time.

Honda's warranty, just like all other warranties, will cover everything but: Abuse, Neglect or Normal Wear. My experience with Honda is their warranty is very good and they are good about honoring the terms. However they do tend to want to make all the decisions and micro manage claims, this can slow the process.

Buying a extended warranty makes you a more valuable customer (in Honda's eyes.). It ties you to the brand and their dealers, for 5 years.

·
Registered
659 Posts
One reason I shy away from extended warranties is because I do my own maintenance and don't keep receipts. Depending on what the problem might be, Honda may decide not to cover a warranty problem. They might still argue you did something wrong of course. The alternative is to keep to the Honda recommended service and have it done at the dealer. If you do that though, over a period of 3 years, the maintenance bill is going to be substantial. Hey, it's a $3,000 bike...maybe worth $2,000 in a year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've seen Honda honor claims, first year and extended, on "self maintained" machines as long as the failure isn't obviously the owners fault. Honda is tough but fair with their warranties. I have seen them cover things like burned out clutches for first time buyers but their internal paperwork calls these "goodwill" payouts ..... they know the clutch was abused but want to retain that new customer. They will often ask the dealership to absorb some of the cost.

Now don't go out and rag on your clutch and expect Honda to replace it at no charge! LOL.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have had 9 Japanese bikes...this will be my first Honda though. I've never had a warranty issue. Twice, there were minor parts missing that I didn't find until I got home, but I'm pretty sure they would have replaced those in any case. The peace of mind extended warranties give to some people makes them worth the money, but I don't keep bikes long enough usually plus haven't had warranty issues in the first year...on Japanese bikes. Now Italian bikes are something else again. Warranties are kind of like bank loans. If you need money, you can't get a loan and if you have plenty of money, banks would love to lend you money. Extended warranties are huge money makers for the Japanese bike manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Extended warranties on motorcycles are purely profit generating revenue streams for the manufacturer and the dealer. Friends don't let friends buy extended warranties.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
service manuals are a good investment. A grom is about as uncomplicated as it gets. I think motorcyclists should work on their bikes. it makes for better owners and riders. Ask a mechanically inclined friend to help. Regular service on this bike should not cost a ton through a dealer anyway.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I work on all my bikes, motorcycles, cars, frig, washer, dryer, etc. Esp if you have the tools and the space and time to take apart your toys. It is great fun or frustration but at lease you learn a little more about how your motorcycle, toys, house hold items are put together and how much money you saved.

The internet is a great place on how to fix stuff, get good prices and have your parts delivered to your door with out wasting gas and time going from store to store until you get a good deal or the parts you need.

Remember this in life, YOUR BRAIN, YOUR COMPUTER/INTERNET, YOUR PHONE/SMART PHONE is the greatest tools you can have.

Remember this also your Family, Friends and bank/savings account are there to HELP YOU OUT or NOT.

·
Registered
736 Posts
One reason I shy away from extended warranties is because I do my own maintenance and don't keep receipts. Depending on what the problem might be, Honda may decide not to cover a warranty problem. They might still argue you did something wrong of course. The alternative is to keep to the Honda recommended service and have it done at the dealer. If you do that though, over a period of 3 years, the maintenance bill is going to be substantial. Hey, it's a $3,000 bike...maybe worth $2,000 in a year.
Keep in mind that if they are going to void your warranty because of work you performed, or a part you install, they must PROVE that what you did or didn't do caused the actual failure. That is not easy to do. Warranties are protected by Law and the Magnuson Moss Act: Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I work on all my bikes, motorcycles, cars, frig, washer, dryer, etc. Esp if you have the tools and the space and time to take apart your toys. It is great fun or frustration but at lease you learn a little more about how your motorcycle, toys, house hold items are put together and how much money you saved.

The internet is a great place on how to fix stuff, get good prices and have your parts delivered to your door with out wasting gas and time going from store to store until you get a good deal or the parts you need.

Remember this in life, YOUR BRAIN, YOUR COMPUTER/INTERNET, YOUR PHONE/SMART PHONE is the greatest tools you can have.

Remember this also your Family, Friends and bank/savings account are there to HELP YOU OUT or NOT.

I have some friends, that I consider them like step parents. They have always helped me with mechanic problems like changing my oil, replacing brakes, attic insulation, raccoon attic baby removal, installation of dishwasher etc...

"my dad"(royce) has parkinsons. He is getting very forgetful and shakes a lot, and no longer feel comfortable asking them for help. They have enough problems...

You are very right. Every time I fix/repair something, I feel very accomplished. My real dad, is also not mechanically inclined either so he never passed any knowledge to me.

The last thing I fixed on my own: The hot side of my shower no longer turned on the water. So I googled instructions on how to fix on found a video on youtube. The part was like $20. I'm sure if a plumber came over, the repair bill would have been at least $100.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You can google damn near anything now. I'm sure there will be videos of how to adjust the valves and all the way to change the oil on the grom.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do my own maintenance, but this is a first year run... and if anything breaks (wheel bearings, electronics, etc) they can just replace it. Seems cheap and easy, I don't have a lot of extra time these days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep in mind that if they are going to void your warranty because of work you performed, or a part you install, they must PROVE that what you did or didn't do caused the actual failure. That is not easy to do. Warranties are protected by Law and the Magnuson Moss Act: Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most of the time it's a "no brainer," like installing a pipe on a two stroke without rejetting and burning a hole in your piston. I've had two customers ruin the finish on their new FZR600'a because they thought they could polish them ..... steel framed FZR600's. Claim denied.

In any warranty dispute the first mistake many customers make is getting angry.

Second mistake is to threaten litigation. I've been in the middle on many, many claim disputes; I know who usually gets the best deal.

BTW I'm not suggesting you purchase a extended warranty, just wanted to inform folks who normally buy 'em.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Honda does a good motorcycle extended warranties. You also have a year to extend it if you decided from the time of purchase.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Update...

I spoke with the lady in finance and after digging she did apologize for misquoting be on the price of the HPP. She will be sending me a check for $125.

That makes my 48 month HPP $399. I'm content now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts