Honda Grom banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive never had upside down forks.

Seems like they are way overexposed to dammage from road debris

I was going to add some neoprene slider protectors.

But I see they are kind of protected by bulges in the front fender.

Is this enough protection?

Or should I go ahead with the neoprene protectors?

·
Registered
311 Posts
They are in no way anymore exposed than those of s conventional fork.

Advantage is less unsprung weight. Though these forks seem to be more for novelty than anything else.

When the seals degrade, for oil will get past the outer wipers, alerting you for s rebuild.

If this were a strictly dirt bike application, than a guy could get some plastic protection.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How does the direction of the fork equal less unsprung weight?

Also, just because a fork seal leaks does not mean it's time for a rebuild. It could simply mean dirt or another obstruction found its way into the seal. They do need to be cleaned every once in a while.

OP: If you are worried about the forks, the neoprene protectors would work. You just need to make sure and check them every so often (oil changes) to make sure they don't trap dirt themselves. They do help to extend the life of your dust seals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wouldn't worry about them unless you're on dirt roads often and a lot.

There is an advantage to the reverse forks. And why nearly all modern motorcycle have them. The cylinder portion of the forks is much heavier than the piston. Reversing them allows the lighter component to do the majority of work/movement and can react much faster in both dampening and rebound due to the lighter weight.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Makes sense. The triple clamps are suspending the heavier part instead of the suspension. :thumbup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
The cylinder portion of the forks is much heavier than the piston. Reversing them allows the lighter component to do the majority of work/movement and can react much faster in both dampening and rebound due to the lighter weight.
Therefore a reduction in unsprung weight even if the USD and conventional forks weigh the same statically.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You guys left out rigidity, which was the main reason for them in the first place. Yes unsprung weight is reduced but the plan was stiffness. The large diameter tube adds stiffness allowing the forks to flex less under hard braking keeping things lined up and letting geometry change at a more consistent rate. They still flex, just not as much as a conventional design.

Even though these are not the highest tech USD forks, there is still an advantage to having them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts