Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the forums, this is my first post!

So I picked up a 2015 Grom last week after wanting one for some time now. I bought it off of a college kid who couldn't afford to keep it any longer. It is completely stock with only 600 miles on the odometer. Brought it home and have been riding it around a bit but I was noticing a lot of noise from the chain. I've owned several bikes including sport bikes and I was quickly able to tell that the chain has been stretched unevenly, causing it to slap (which I stupidly didn't notice while test riding). Anyways I'm going to order a new chain but I am wondering how it could have become uneven in so few miles. Does anyone know how long the Grom's chain usually lasts, and should I be worried that he was doing something stupid with it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brand new to the forums, this is my first post!

So I picked up a 2015 Grom last week after wanting one for some time now. I bought it off of a college kid who couldn't afford to keep it any longer. It is completely stock with only 600 miles on the odometer. Brought it home and have been riding it around a bit but I was noticing a lot of noise from the chain. I've owned several bikes including sport bikes and I was quickly able to tell that the chain has been stretched unevenly, causing it to slap (which I stupidly didn't notice while test riding). Anyways I'm going to order a new chain but I am wondering how it could have become uneven in so few miles. Does anyone know how long the Grom's chain usually lasts, and should I be worried that he was doing something stupid with it?

Thanks in advance!
the chain might have been loose since he got it from the dealer i remember i went threw my buddies bike right after he bought it and the chain was loose and wheel wasnt aligned correctly

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you have already confirmed it has stretched unevenly, then yes just replace it with a quality chain. They are inexpensive. The OEM Grom chain is known for not being the best quality. Hard to say if bike was abused but if it was never lubed or checked for 600 miles, especially on the poor quality Grom chain, that's most likely why it failed so soon

·
Registered
199 Posts
I clean mine every oil change and lube. The factory chain is garbage. I've had to adjust mine 3 times at 2300 miles. Upgrading chain when I add the stretch

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mine got to its stretch limit right at 5,000 miles. The first 2,000 miles I had to adjust it at least 10 times. After that it was better with minor adjustments every 500 miles. I'm picky though, I could have gotten away with 1,000 mile adjustments.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. Yeah it's definitely stretched uneven, I adjusted and oiled it and it goes tight and then slack while walking it forward :|

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Thanks for the help. Yeah it's definitely stretched uneven, I adjusted and oiled it and it goes tight and then slack while walking it forward :|
That indicates a kink or out of round sprocket. Chains dont unevenly stretch. Pull the chain off and soak it in some kerosene (wd40 etc) or a bunch of degreaser and move every joint to free it up. Clean it off then properly lube it up.

Worst case though new chain n sprockets are all of 50 bucks total.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
i always tension it, get on it, bounce it up and down a few times, roll it around and do some more bounces. Then re-check. From there, re-adjust. And maybe even 1 more time. The slack is really dependent on where the rear swingarm is sitting, and the rubber 'bushings' that the swing arm rotates on sure as hell doesnt help.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i always tension it, get on it, bounce it up and down a few times, roll it around and do some more bounces. Then re-check. From there, re-adjust. And maybe even 1 more time. The slack is really dependent on where the rear swingarm is sitting, and the rubber 'bushings' that the swing arm rotates on sure as hell doesnt help.
for $3000 new they had to cut cost somewhere. The chain and those stupid swing arm bushings is definitely where they started followed by the worthless headlight

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
for $3000 new they had to cut cost somewhere. The chain and those stupid swing arm bushings is definitely where they started followed by the worthless headlight

The "worthless headlight" does damn good with a 55/60 w h4 in the place of the dim 35/35w stock bulb. But agreed the stock chain is nothing to write home about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts