Honda Grom banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Z125 a little over a year ago, them felt like I “outgrew” it. Sold it, along with a scooter I had sitting around in the shop, and bought a Yamaha R3. Rode the Yamaha a bit, and then began to get a weird feeling.. “Is this faster, bigger bike as fun as my Z?” After thinking about it for a week or so, I think in my case the answer may be “no”.

I had always wanted a ”Crotch Rocket”, and the R3 seemed like the perfect way to get into riding one, full size but a manageable motor, lightweight, and a logical step up from the Z. Well after a few months riding the Yamaha I’ve been missing my 125cc BAD!

The thing to consider is that I’m not a commuter. Now, not to say that I would never commute, but it’s not an everyday, or even every week thing. I could take the backroads to work if I wanted to, but usually I just hop in my pickup to get to work quickly in the morning. Now that I’ve owned both bikes, I realize that I’m more of a ‘get out there and run around with no particular place to go’ kind of rider. I believe the Z is perfectly suited for that. TBH the R3 is SLICK and everything I want in the ‘idea’ of a bike, but I think that what I want from a bike (as well as what I want to put into it) was completely covered by the Z.

I have my Yamaha paid off, and I am thinking about doing something that kind of makes me feel funny.. Selling the R3 and getting another 125. Maybe another Z, maybe a Grom (I really like the blue the Honda comes in!). I miss having a small light bike that is effortless to ride, the Yamaha R3 is a beautiful, fantastic bike, but I just dont know if it’s my style, as far as riding is concerned. I thought I wanted to go faster, but frankly, it’s just not really my thing. I dont like people trying to race me constantly (Even though it’s only 321cc), and I liked the small, carefree nature of the 125. Plus, I could load it up in the back of my truck easily and take it anywhere I wanna go.

I made this thread to ask you riders... what would you do?

My R3 is pretty much mint, it doesn’t have a ton of miles, been garage kept, has a few upgrades, and with them being pretty scarce in OK these days, I’m sure I could sell it and not lose the farm. Sure I’d be out a little bit of money, but that’s not the end of the world. I’m leaning towards selling it and buying a new 125 once the dust settles.

I sure would like some opinion and insight into this situation. Has anyone else ever found themselves in a situation like this? What did you do? I don’t really need (or can afford) 2 bikes, so that’s not an option for me at the moment, FWIW.

Also, I know it’s been asked a million times, but considering my situation, why a Grom over another Z? Honest question!

Thanks in advance for reading this.

I’d really appreciate any honest opinion and constructive criticism you may have.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The R3 isn’t costing you anything. Keep the R3 and buy another Z. Save if you have to. Z’s aren’t as desirable as Groms so they can be had cheaper on both new and used markets.

My big bike sat in the garage all summer. I only rode my Grom. I can push it without getting arrested. Can’t say that for my big bike. It also forces you to find new back roads so you can travel farther away, but avoid highways. I absolutely love my Grom. I can’t ever see selling it. It’s a fine only bike if you’re not riding on highways. The guys that say they’re selling the Grom for a big bike because the Grom isn’t a good only bike are dead wrong. They made a poor buying decision. They bought a bike that didn’t fit their needs. That’s not the bike’s fault or shortcomings. That’s their fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The R3 isn’t costing you anything. Keep the R3 and buy another Z. Save if you have to. Z’s aren’t as desirable as Groms so they can be had cheaper on both new and used markets.

My big bike sat in the garage all summer. I only rode my Grom. I can push it without getting arrested. Can’t say that for my big bike. It also forces you to find new back roads so you can travel farther away, but avoid highways. I absolutely love my Grom. I can’t ever see selling it. It’s a fine only bike if you’re not riding on highways. The guys that say they’re selling the Grom for a big bike because the Grom isn’t a good only bike are dead wrong. They made a poor buying decision. They bought a bike that didn’t fit their needs. That’s not the bike’s fault or shortcomings. That’s their fault.
This is great advice. Thank you!

In my experience, Zs go for a little more than Groms (in Oklahoma at least) because they are more rare. I went to 4 dealerships the first time around, and the Z was more expensive across the coward. Even on Craigslist and FB Marketplace Groms seemed to be just a tad more affordable, maybe because they’re more common? Just speculation, and it is really here nor there. Between the available colors, and more importantly the aftermarket mod availability, I think I’ll go with the Grom this time. And I’ll definitely take your advice and save until the Spring, or at least until the first of the year if I can find someone selling a lightly used one in the off season.

But yea... I’m sure I’ll end up missing the R3 once it’s gone, and will want a bigger bike if and when I’d “need” it. The Z was just so much fun.. so light and easy to whip out of the garage!

Thanks again for the reply! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Very hard to be a motorcycle monogamist.

Every bike is seductive in it's own way. There is no the "one" bike that will make you happy long term all the time.

Your heart will wander no matter how hot that one bike is in your garage.

I regret every bike I ever sold. Buy a bike, keep it, love it, and never let it go.

Then buy another one.

My first was a Ninja 300, then a Panigale 959, then a DR200Z, then a DRZ400SM, then a Hypernmotard, then a R6, then a Grom, and I am not close to having my appetite satiated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very hard to be a motorcycle monogamist.

Every bike is seductive in it's own way. There is no the "one" bike that will make you happy long term all the time.

Your heart will wander no matter how hot that one bike is in your garage.

I regret every bike I ever sold. Buy a bike, keep it, love it, and never let it go.

Then buy another one.

My first was a Ninja 300, then a Panigale 959, then a DR200Z, then a DRZ400SM, then a Hypernmotard, then a R6, then a Grom, and I am not close to having my appetite satiated!
Wise words. I think you're totally right. I'll probably just save up and get another 125. I enjoyed my Z, but I like the idea of trying the Grom this time around. Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I would recommend a grom over a Z just because OEM parts are cheaper. I would recommend keeping the R3 and saving for a grom if you want another 125. The R3 will cover what the grom cant. If you get a grom and find that the R3 just isnt getting used at all then you can sell it. I would definitely wait on selling the R3 until you know you wouldn't miss it if it were gone. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
This is great advice. Thank you!

In my experience, Zs go for a little more than Groms (in Oklahoma at least) because they are more rare. I went to 4 dealerships the first time around, and the Z was more expensive across the coward. Even on Craigslist and FB Marketplace Groms seemed to be just a tad more affordable, maybe because they’re more common? Just speculation, and it is really here nor there. Between the available colors, and more importantly the aftermarket mod availability, I think I’ll go with the Grom this time. And I’ll definitely take your advice and save until the Spring, or at least until the first of the year if I can find someone selling a lightly used one in the off season.

But yea... I’m sure I’ll end up missing the R3 once it’s gone, and will want a bigger bike if and when I’d “need” it. The Z was just so much fun.. so light and easy to whip out of the garage!

Thanks again for the reply! I really appreciate it!
It's interesting Z's are more expensive there!

I think you have a good plan. Save for a Grom. The Grom dominates the aftermarket, which is always fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would recommend a grom over a Z just because OEM parts are cheaper. I would recommend keeping the R3 and saving for a grom if you want another 125. The R3 will cover what the grom cant. If you get a grom and find that the R3 just isnt getting used at all then you can sell it. I would definitely wait on selling the R3 until you know you wouldn't miss it if it were gone. Just my opinion.
Good advice. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts