Honda Grom banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I rode around this morning, I smelled oil burning. When I checked the dipstick, I didn't see any oil on it. I filled it up with almost a quart of engine oil, and it seems to be running fine now. I've only had the bike for a year, and I had the dealer do the first (and only) oil change at the recommended 600 miles. I haven't seen any spills or puddles where I park the grom.

Can anyone explain how it ended up empty? Should I take it in for service?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Holy crap that’s crazy I’ve had mine for almost a year and a half and did my first oil change myself at 2500 miles and haven’t had a problem losing oil before that odd???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Check the drain plug make sure there is no slow leak from it, also check the crank case vent to make sure it has the rubber hose connected secure, last off check your exhaust valve cover to make sure it is tight and not leaking oil. Good luck

·
Registered
865 Posts
I ride my bike pretty hard, with extended periods of WOT in a hot Southern California climate. By my math, my bike consumes about 50 mls of oil per 100 miles ridden.....I see no evidence of this in the exhaust, but simply based on doing a number of oil changes and noting the volume of oil recovered, it looks like the bike is burning about 50 mls per 100 miles.

Based on the post from the OP, it appears that maybe the OP is experiencing a similar level of oil consumption.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No stunt riding...just commuting to work. The only mod I've made is to install a chimera air intake. I wonder if it's increasing the engine temperature dramatically.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From my own experience I been having to put 1/8th of a qt every 300 miles if going longer between oil changes. I used to switch my oil every 500-600 miles. Now I' doing twice as long but having to add oil now and then. My bike now does have 15k on it and seems to consume a tad bit more oil than when new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts