Honda Grom banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doing a little cross referencing, the Grom engine is basically from a Wave 125 scooter (NF series)with a 4sp tranny. HONDA WAVE125. This company makes complete big bore top end kits. Looks like nice stuff. Can't find anything from Malosi. Here's another company to check out....Honda Wave 125 - Performance Parts, Accessories & Servicing Packages. I'm sure once the bike hits the US market the parts will start to flow. Just some food for thought.....will surely do some racing with mine.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here's the info. From mr yuminashi himself.

"It's a new engine, and we could say based on the Yuminashi SP200R engine...

The cylinder is shorter as the Wave 125i engine, and it doesn't have the cam chain tensioner on the cylinder anymore like the Wave125, but a classic tensioner like the 2011 Yuminashi SP200R and older Honda types.

The camshaft is a new type camshaft with double roller rockers.
The new rockers have bearings on the roller to follow the cam profile, and a needle bearing inside for less resistance on the rocker shaft.

For the record, the Yuminashi 150cc kit can be installed in combination with the standard head and valves.
You can bore the cylinder up to 160 and 180cc, and it's correct that you need a bigger valve head then, but not to use as 150cc light bore....

Only recommend to install the Yuminashi SX270 camshaft and double valve springs, because the single genuine valve springs start to float in the high RPM zone...

The picture from the cylinder which you can see on the UPower site is a picture from a water cooled PCX cylinder, not a MSX/GROM cylinder which has cooling fins of course....

The gearbox is a total new gearbox with really serious large teethes compared with the Wave125 engine, and certainly compared with any pitbike engine, so no problem to put some horses on these, and it's manually clutched so that's also a difference with the Wave125 engines...

With the genuine bore from the crankcases you can install a 180cc cylinder plug and play, if you bore your crankcases up, then you can install a 210cc without any problem."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts