Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect the BAS is giving me fits on my SF at mid corner full lean angles. It's driving me knutz! I disconnected the BAS and it quit but now I have that annoying constantly blinking CEL code 54. Grrrrr! Going to try to jump the wires together with a variable resistor and see if I can get it to go away. I read 6.2v across the wires with it plugged in and battery voltage with it unplugged, so I am guessing the ECU wants to see that 6.2v to keep it from throwing code 54.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Vendor
123 Posts
I suspect the BAS is giving me fits on my SF at mid corner full lean angles. It's driving me knutz! I disconnected the BAS and it quit but now I have that annoying constantly blinking CEL code 54. Grrrrr! Going to try to jump the wires together with a variable resistor and see if I can get it to go away. I read 6.2v across the wires with it plugged in and battery voltage with it unplugged, so I am guessing the ECU wants to see that 6.2v to keep it from throwing code 54.

Has anyone else had this issue?

we have never had this issue before with our 14-15 groms but haven't tried racing an sf grom yet

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
we have never had this issue before with our 14-15 groms but haven't tried racing an sf grom yet
Thanks for the feedback. If I am able to get the CEL to go away with the resistor, I'll report back what the value ended up being. If not, I'll drill a hole in that sucker and fill it with Permatex so it doesn't move inside any more. :big smile: May add a tether kill switch later on for safety purposes if I go with the later option, in case I want to ride on the street and still have some form of fail-safe in place. You know, just in case some old blue-hair runs me off the road here in Florida.

Side note, they moved the BAS to the tail just in front of the brake/tail light on the SF in case anyone is wondering where the hell it is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've had this issue as well, are you running a PCV?
^^^^ Nope. Had a APiTech EFI Advance on it at the time, now removed........ Thing was making the bike die completely cruising down the road w/o warning (EXTREMELY UNSAFE). Doesn't cut out now, but it is also noticeably slower getting up to speed, and I am banging the rev limiter all the time again. I am eyeballing the Aracer MINI4C standalone to replace the API with, not sure if it was the controller or battle for supremacy between it and the stock ECU.

Also, when I go to the track I just unplug the Bank Angle Sensor, doesn't cut out on the track any more either.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Im wondering if I may also have this issue on my 2015 Grom. Ive noticed for this past season it will get choppy on me under throttle at max lean and its sketchy as shit too lol! instead of the accleration being smooth and consistent it starts to stutter as im throttling out. Ive crashed my Grom 20+ times at this point (no joke lol) so maybe the BAS is damaged. Heck i didnt even know my bike has one. Food for thought.......glue the sensor in the upright position so as to avoid the BAS interfering with ignition. Call it a cheap BAS delete lol!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im wondering if I may also have this issue on my 2015 Grom. Ive noticed for this past season it will get choppy on me under throttle at max lean and its sketchy as shit too lol! instead of the accleration being smooth and consistent it starts to stutter as im throttling out. Ive crashed my Grom 20+ times at this point (no joke lol) so maybe the BAS is damaged. Heck i didnt even know my bike has one. Food for thought.......glue the sensor in the upright position so as to avoid the BAS interfering with ignition. Call it a cheap BAS delete lol!

BAS could be your issue I have heard of this happening on big bikes before, mine was the APi Piggyback. More specifically, the plug that plugged into the controller brain. I work in the 12V industry and we just happen to have the same connector and pins for it, so I cut the original connector off and put a new one on it, haven't had an issue cutting out since. I have also heard of the Power Commander having the same issue as my APi unit did with a poor connection in one of the plugs, makes it a bisch to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had this happen on my 15 as well as a 17, pretty sure DH found it was related to fuel. He added an inline electric fuel pump and issues went away last I heard. Mine and a buddies did it both on mild 125 builds as well as my stock intake/exhaust build, DH was on a 170 4v

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had this happen on my 15 as well as a 17, pretty sure DH found it was related to fuel. He added an inline electric fuel pump and issues went away last I heard. Mine and a buddies did it both on mild 125 builds as well as my stock intake/exhaust build, DH was on a 170 4v
The fuel pump helped but not completely. We finally found out it was the PCV. After all of us switched to aRacer the problem went away completely. Dynojet has confirmed that there is an issue when running at RPMs above the stock limit; the injector reference isn't the same when you chop the throttle and try to get back in it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The fuel pump helped but not completely. We finally found out it was the PCV. After all of us switched to aRacer the problem went away completely. Dynojet has confirmed that there is an issue when running at RPMs above the stock limit; the injector reference isn't the same when you chop the throttle and try to get back in it.
I knew I wasnt Crazy... Curious to how long ago this was diagnosed? Im Currently trying different variations of take over rpm provided by DJ, So for no Luck...

Really hope you figure how to extend rev in your Ecu Flashing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts