Honda Grom banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Hoping that someone else has had this problem and there's an easy fix. I'm starting to lose my mind trying to track down this gremlin, as I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. It's a 2017 grom, and the problems started after a dead battery (alarm drained it after not riding for a couple of weeks), and subsequent roll start.

Here's what happens:

1. Turn key. Everything lights up the way it should, bike is in neutral, all looks good.
2. Hit engine start switch, and dash resets. Sometimes the starter relay clicks, sometimes it doesn't. Nothing from the starter motor.

I thought it would be a simple grounding fault, maybe from the shockingly dodgy tail tidy that the previous owner did. I tidied up the wiring harness with proper splices, checked the continuity, all good there.

I've taken out the starter relay and done the checks per the service manual. I've also done the same for the regulator/rectifier. There doesn't seem to be any problem with either of these parts when tested on the bench. I've disconnected the plug for the start switch and done the continuity checks there per the manual - still all as it should be.

Has anyone had this problem before? Could I have fused some of the windings in the starter motor when I roll started the bike?

EDIT: I replaced the battery after it died.

·
Banned
714 Posts
your battery is still dead.

the moment you press the start button, the starter motor draws down the battery below the drop out voltage of the electronics.

with no load the battery has enough juice to light up the bike, but definitely not enough to crank it over.

simple problem.

·
Banned
714 Posts
it's dead.

if you don't want to believe me that's fine. go put a multimeter on it and see for yourself. make sure you set it to record the min voltage as the voltage will only drop when the starter is connected to the battery

or jump the starter relay and watch it happen.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Disconnect the Alarm system, charge up the battery and after the charge start the grom up, ride around for awhile making sure your grom charging system is working and the battery is being charged by the groms charging system.

If it works for a week than I say your alarm system is draining the battery, I would either get a second battery smaller in size just for the alarm system or double up on a Lipo battery setup or get a bigger capacity lipo MC battery for your grom.

You can get one of those cheap ass HFT voltmeters "I think they are free with a coupon" when you buy something else from HFT and hook it up to your grom and monitor the charging voltage.

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts