Honda Grom banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking how great it would be to have an electric Grom.

Also realizing I know nothing about the real world performance of electric motorcycles so I spent some time with an electric ZERO FXE.

Lots of fun, but made me realize that there is no way an electric Grom would be viable.

The Zero FXE weighs in at around 300 lbs. Grom at around 200.

The Zero will only get 40 miles of spirited riding like the kind in the video I shot below. The company claims are pure BS for range. Cut their claims in half at best.

To make the Grom electric with any usable range, it would become pig heavy and lose the lightweight character that makes it fun.

The bigger Zero bikes, and the premium Energica or Harley electrics weigh close to 600 lbs.

Just sharing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's not the weight that's the problem with electric bikes, it's the charging. If you're a loner, it works out. You ride out and ride back, then charge at home. You can also charge at public charging if you are traveling any distance but this eats away your riding time. If you are involved in any group rides and heading out for a 2 hour ride to a café somewhere, you're on your own to find a charge and won't be able to stay with your group. With over 200,000 miles combined driving in our Tesla's we own, It's all about the charging. It always comes down to charging and is always asked about. Home - fastpaceservices.com With the Supercharging network like no other, there is no doubt of finding a charger. In Houston alone, there's over 20 super chargers available or soon to be. Riding with many car groups and going out of town, there has never been an issue charging when they stop for fuel. Most of the time it's at the same location thanks to the Tesla Super charging network. I don't think we'll ever see convenient motorcycle charging. I'm not saying charging is not available, I'm saying no convenient charging, 10 minute 20 minute charging and be on your way. Even if there was destination charging at places, that may help but, no one is going to build that out. Now, if there is some kind of breakthrough that affords you 300 to 400 miles of travel, that's a different story.

I really enjoyed your video. It reminded me of a 10 year old video on my TU250.
Hope to make more content with the new Monkey I just picked up.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent point about the lack of fast charging availability.

I could live with short range if there was an easy ability to top off the battery with short downtime.

Weight is a huge issue when it comes to handling. Heavy bikes are not as easy to handle.

Then again, the King of the Bagger series shows that skill conquers all.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Font Screenshot

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the more premium bikes do allow for charging at Tesla charging spots.

"Add dozens of kilometers of range while grabbing coffee. Adding the Rapid Charge option to SR/F boosts charging by 6 kW, up to a staggering 12 kW capacity. 2015 and newer Zero S and Zero DS models can be complemented with a 6 kW Charge Tank. The Charge Tank and SR/F are compatible with standard Level 2 charging stations. Zero’s fastest charging options increase charging speeds by up to 10 times what you’d expect from a normal household outlet, enabling recharges to 95% in as little as one hour."

·
Registered
27 Posts
The crux of this issue is that electronic technologies now becoming viable in cars are not easily scaled down for motorcycles, especially lightweights. If engineers started with a clean sheet of paper and designed/developed from the ground up new solutions could be found but taking my Silence S01 scooter as an example it has to use a Bosch hub motor based on electric bicycle designs and a battery pack incorporating a battery management system and charger which is far too heavy to compete with the Grom on handling let alone range. Although it does have some energy recovery under braking it is crude and ineffective compared with (say) the Toyota Hybrids. When the western world bans the sale of petrol bikes it remains to be seen whether the big players, Honda in particular, will decide that the huge investment required to come up with radical electric two wheelers is worthwhile. In the UK Honda are already slashing the size of their bike dealer network and this may be a sign of things to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts