Honda Grom banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got dwarfism and I've always wanted to go to two wheels. I've been looking at the Groms and they're pretty sweet. People lowering and stretching them and it looks like a fun little bike that's got some power behind them. I'm in Upstate New York which has a mix of towns and long, 55 mph country roads. The country roads are what turned me away from a Ruckus, as I feel it's underpowered for any large hills and to have a bit more power than a full-throttle sixty mph feels a bit safer to me.

I understand there's literally everything under the sun in terms of mods for these bikes but as a newcomer to both bikes and the mechanics behind things like this, I figured swapping engines out of a ruckus is a little more than I'm up for.

This brings me to my main question. Let's say with boots on I've got an inseam of 20 inches and weigh 115 pounds. Looking at the seat height of a Grom, it states 30 inches. Is it possible to delete 8 inches, given my weight is compressing the bike about 2 inches? This would be with both feet flat on the floor, I'm maybe comfortable with tip-toeing or leaning to the side which could lead to gaining a few inches?

I'm not opposed to lowering/stretching, I'm somewhat expecting that it's needed to get to a comfortable ride height, just wanting to know if it's possible without too much insanity.

Thanks,
Erik

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,067 Posts
I don't think you could get one anywhere near that low, maybe 6 inches at most. It would scrub on everything at that height. Have you thought about a sidecar? They sell them for the Grom and Monkey, and you would no longer need to balance the bike. No offense intended, just trying to help.

Reactions: 50-50

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you could get one anywhere near that low, maybe 6 inches at most. It would scrub on everything at that height. Have you thought about a sidecar? They sell them for the Grom and Monkey, and you would no longer need to balance the bike. No offense intended, just trying to help.
Never heard of the sidecar. Sounds interesting though... I'll look into it. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some miscellaneous stuff that I hope is at least a little helpful:

First, check out Cycle-Ergo. You can choose a bike and enter basic info like height (and adjust inseam) and see a rough representation of fit on the bike. You can also tell it to show the rider with feet on the ground in the options.

I tried some guesses at height to get to an inseam like yours, and the tool shows that at 20" or less, the legs are too short to reach the pegs. So you've got to figure out not just seat height but seat-to-pegs distance. Between shaving the seat and maybe raising the pegs, I'd bet that part's doable. As an example, these rearsets can raise the pegs 18 mm and there may be others with more range. You can also get custom if needed.

You mentioned tiptoeing, leaning over, etc—this is common among riders on relatively tall (to their height) bikes. As an example, here's a video of a woman who's 5'2" on an R1200GS:

Cycle-Ergo puts the seat height of that generation of GS at 34.3", and the default inseam of a 5'2" rider at 26". I'm just guessing, but ratio-wise, it's more—but not by so much as to make me think it's not doable.

One fly in the ointment: being comfortable on a tall bike is as much about comfort as feasibility, and getting comfortable takes time and miles. If you do some math, check out some bikes, and decide you want to give it a go, I'll tell you the same thing I tell every new rider: get a small, light dirtbike to mess around on first. You won't care if you dump it, and you'll develop the comfort level that'll make the taller bike easier. Yamaha's TTR90 and TTR10 both have seat heights of 25–26" (and will squish down once you're aboard) and low weight, and there are other small, light options like Oset's electric dirt bikes that'd let you build some proficiency and comfort before hopping aboard a shiny new Grom.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
214 Posts

Theruckshop has a 4.5" lowering plates.

Add a lower seat, lower rear shock, lower front fork kit or the NCY Ruckus fork kit, and an adjustable sidestand.

Change bars to suit.

·
Registered
557 Posts
A lot of good advice here. I didn’t even think of a sidecar. That would probably be the best bet, along with a pair of adjustable rear sets, to move your feet up higher. Add a handle bar to suit and possibly shave the seat down a little if necessary. I’d think you would be good to go. Touching your feet to the ground would no longer be necessary.

That way you could leave the suspension at it’s full ride height. I believe this would be optimal. The Grom already rides kind of poorly. Lowering the bike is likely to only make that situation worse. Not to mention potential ground clearance issues.

I guess there are a few disadvantages of a sidecar to consider. One would be the additional cost of initially purchasing the sidecar on top of purchasing a Grom. A couple of others would be performance related, like additional weight and aerodynamic drag slowing the bike some. This could be overcome with some engine mods.

The final consideration would be the way a sidecar changes the dynamics of actually riding the bike. In other words, there would be no leaning into the curves, if that is important to you. I still think it would be a ton of fun though, and would get you on a bike.

You could bring your dog along too!🙂 I love the idea of bringing my dog with me on rides, but I’d be worried she would get hurt in a crash.🙁 Well, maybe it would be ok around the neighborhood!😬

I hope you can figure something out that works for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of good advice here. I didn’t even think of a sidecar. That would probably be the best bet, along with a pair of adjustable rear sets, to move your feet up higher. Add a handle bar to suit and possibly shave the seat down a little if necessary. I’d think you would be good to go. Touching your feet to the ground would no longer be necessary.

That way you could leave the suspension at it’s full ride height. I believe this would be optimal. The Grom already rides kind of poorly. Lowering the bike is likely to only make that situation worse. Not to mention potential ground clearance issues.

I guess there are a few disadvantages of a sidecar to consider. One would be the additional cost of initially purchasing the sidecar on top of purchasing a Grom. A couple of others would be performance related, like additional weight and aerodynamic drag slowing the bike some. This could be overcome with some engine mods.

The final consideration would be the way a sidecar changes the dynamics of actually riding the bike. In other words, there would be no leaning into the curves, if that is important to you. I still think it would be a ton of fun though, and would get you on a bike.

You could bring your dog along too!🙂 I love the idea of bringing my dog with me on rides, but I’d be worried she would get hurt in a crash.🙁 Well, maybe it would be ok around the neighborhood!😬

I hope you can figure something out that works for you.
I was looking at the sidecars and they are rather expensive in comparison to the Grom. Almost half the price or even 2/3 the price of a used Grom. I also was thinking how the handling of the bike would change and if there's something that I could design that might be almost a mix between a sidecar and a third wheel. It sounds funky and dangerous when I throw ideas around inside my head, haven't put anything on paper, but in reality, all I need is a somewhat sturdy joint only when stationary or super low speeds. But if the joint could then become fluid/flexible when above a certain speed, the Grom would handle similarly to a standard Grom and allow me to lean into turns.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,067 Posts
Air bags? Seen it done so they probably sell a kit. You could literally set it on the ground when you stop, and then ride at a near normal height. Might not be safe though, I wonder about a system failure while in motion..... they are probably for show only.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,067 Posts
The width of a bike also matters, I'm sure there are better choices for someone with an 18" inseam than a Harley. Maybe a street legal dirt bike? I know they typically have a tall suspension, but a small displacement one could be lowered.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know the height of this guy, but his effort is so respectable.
That was actually an exercise that we all did at the BMW Off-Road Performance school. Stationary standing beside the bike with your left foot on the left peg and pull away from a stop while throwing your leg over. Then the reverse at a stop - dismount as the bike comes to a stop with me standing beside it. They used the drill for teaching balance.

Reactions: Ninelives17
1 - 12 of 12 Posts