Honda Grom banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a ‘14 OG a couple months back with about 600mi on the odometer.
So far, I’ve added full Akrapovic high mount exhaust and header, have a dingerbuilt mid length intake arriving next week, and I reconfigured the front end a bit with a SM type fender.
I’m on the fence on a cam or bbk kit, and also if I should be biting the bullet on an aRacer or just going the ECU flash route via DHM/CJR.
The Akrapovic header doesn’t have an O2 bung for me to run a WB sensor (and I’m not handy enough to weld one in). Open to suggestions on my build. I’m not into stunting, and live in a somewhat hilly/twisty area. I can regularly get about 55MPH out of the bike and I don’t have any misconceptions about this bike cruising around at 60+MPH all the time.
After speaking with David at DingerBuilt, he suggested the Koso cam paired with the mid length intake and a flash at a minimum, to give a bit more power in the 5k-8k range.
Given I may decide later down the road to do a koso bbk, am I a fool to not go the aRacer route? I don’t wanna sacrifice reliability for an added 5MPH on top of hundreds invested.
Thanks I’m advance for any input.
Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2014 Grom
59 Posts
If you're going to be adding a bunch of different motor parts, or even think you might, get an 02 bung welded into your exhaust and run an Aracer.

·
Registered
2015 "OG" Grom, See "About Me"
48 Posts
Ghost56: Agreed.
ChickenStrips: You will want the fuel controller early on, as Honda designed these little machines to run as lean as possible to meet emissions. Any aftermarket hardware will TORCH your engine if it does not have the extra fuel to cool the top end off. And take it from someone who owns a highly modified OG, with the Dynojet Power Commander V + Autotuner: Go with the ARacer, it is a much better product! Ahhh, how times have changed for the better. Also, second to last thing - get the AF2 with the ARacer, it is MUCH more convienient & safer than guessing at your A/F ratios or using someone else's maps with your particular setup. You will end up having to use it later anyway, when you get the BBK/other high performance parts! One last thing - Welcome to the "OG" club, Brother! (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ghost56: Agreed.
ChickenStrips: You will want the fuel controller early on, as Honda designed these little machines to run as lean as possible to meet emissions. Any aftermarket hardware will TORCH your engine if it does not have the extra fuel to cool the top end off. And take it from someone who owns a highly modified OG, with the Dynojet Power Commander V + Autotuner: Go with the ARacer, it is a much better product! Ahhh, how times have changed for the better. Also, second to last thing - get the AF2 with the ARacer, it is MUCH more convienient & safer than guessing at your A/F ratios or using someone else's maps with your particular setup. You will end up having to use it later anyway, when you get the BBK/other high performance parts! One last thing - Welcome to the "OG" club, Brother! (y)
thanks Mtinman.
Given I’m only going to be doing intake/exhaust and potentially a cam for now…
Can I get away with just doing the ECU and getting a map from DHM or CJR?
ECU+AF1/2 looks to be about $750. That’s more than I want to drop in my initial go, and I also need to sort out getting a bung welded in my Akrapovic header to make it work.
Also, any value going with an RC2 Super over the MiniX?
Loving the bike so far, but not in a place to drop a a grand in new ECU/AF just yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks Mtinman.
Given I’m only going to be doing intake/exhaust and potentially a cam for now…
Can I get away with just doing the ECU and getting a map from DHM or CJR?
ECU+AF1/2 looks to be about $750. That’s more than I want to drop in my initial go, and I also need to sort out getting a bung welded in my Akrapovic header to make it work.
Also, any value going with an RC2 Super over the MiniX?
Loving the bike so far, but not in a place to drop a a grand in new ECU/AF just yet.
ChickenStrips: I personally have a DHM Stage 3 (custom) reflashed ECU, and am EXTREMELY happy with it. The DHM reflash should be a great starting point, without having to get an autotuner right away. David is pretty good about answering questions (I alway have lots of them), and their (DHM's) service/turnaround time was excellent for me. I have also heard good things about CJR, as well, Cameron is a real pro from what I gather. Not sure on the details regarding the ARacer stuff I don't have them (yet, Ha-Ha!), check with David (Hugh) at DHM, he has been installing/using/racing them for some time now, and knows them well. I know your pain on the amount of $$$$, spent - my wife got peeved at me about a week ago about how much money I have spent on my Grom compared to my other motorcycles/ATV's, but oh well, it's the OG life for me... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's a good price on a DynoJet setup in the classifieds section! ;) Comes with everything you need! That being said, I'm in the process of setting up a second Grom with the dhm stage 3 after everything amazing I've heard about it, including their flash!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
theogmantonio: DHM ECU Reflash- I like it. A LOT. I'm currently running that, and the Dynojet PCV and AT-200 on mine. Autotune is a blessing. At this point, I have to upgrade to a PCX 150 injector, because my engine breathes so well, the stock injector is too small. Currently, I have over 70 points of change in the fuel trim tables in around 4K-6K, at around 40%-60% Throttle. My little injector is working over time to keep up. I noticed your Koso 170 4V, how do you like that motor? How's the valvetrain holding up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So you have the reflash and still felt he need to augment with the PCV? I like the 170 motor where my current PV3 flash is dialed in. I just bought the WBCX so I can try to dial the bike in, but I’m struggling with the powercore software suite!

Are you thinking of upgrading to a pcx150 injector with the stage 3 DHM setup?

·
Registered
48 Posts
theogmantonio: Yes, because with mine, I needed to have closed loop turned off, so I could adjust fuel trims in the 0-70% throttle range with the PCV/Autotuner setup. The Stage 3 was a great starting point, and now I can allow the autotuner to do it's work without fighting an ECU that's not allowing the changes the autotuner is trying to make to the trims... Answering question 2, Yes, because I essentially have a BBK intake and top end on a stock bore engine with a high compression piston (Super Stock). I learned that if your fuel trims are higher than 70 points, you have to step up to the next size injector. I'm still trying to find the post here at hondagrom.net regarding that, and as soon as I do, I'll post a link to it.
Update: Here is one of them - Need tuning help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts