Honda Grom banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to hear your opinions about the EBC clutch springs. People refer to these springs as 15% “stiffer” all the time on this forum. The package says, “15% Stronger Than Original Parts”. I’m not convinced that the EBC springs are any stiffer than the stock springs.

Now I’m not an engineer, but I don’t think that stronger and stiffer are the same thing. Maybe, the EBC springs are stronger, but not necessarily stiffer. I’m guessing the EBC springs are made from higher strength steel.

6 of the EBC clutch springs, actually weigh 1 gram less than 6 of the stock Honda springs. 37 grams vs 38 grams.

EBC Springs:

Stock Honda Springs:

I’ve been running the EBC springs, with the Hard Racing clutch lifter plate, since summer of 2019. They do not feel any stiffer at all to me. They are at best a replacement for the stock springs.

I recently switched to the Kitaco clutch lifter plate and Kitaco 60% stiffer springs. The Kitaco springs are noticeably stiffer when you compress them between your fingers. 6 Kitaco springs weighed in at 44 grams.

Kitaco 60% Stiffer Springs:

With the Kitaco springs more force is required at the lever to operate the clutch. It is not bad though. You will get used to it within minutes. In fact my recommendation would be to just use 60% stiffer springs to begin with. I also like using a billet clutch lifter plate. I know some of you don’t think it is necessary, but I always like to make things more durable when I can.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Don't waste your money if in the future you are going to go BBK kit sizes 170-181- or larger, go with Sex Machine kit or any other brand that has at lease 60% more strength.

Also make sure you upgrade the retainer spring cap with a CNC HD unit, the stock arms will sometimes snap off due to the heavier springs.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts