Honda Grom banner

201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I searched the thread to find the two books you recommended. They are:

'How to Tune and Modify Automotive Engine Management Systems' by Jeff Hartman
'How to Tune and Modify Motorcycle Engine Management Systems' by Tracy Martin

Very interesting that the titles are so similar yet from two different people. I will check them out. Thank you.
The publisher likely had a hand in the naming of the two books. The content is different between the two and it is worth purchasing both, though the Hartman is better from a technical standpoint.

Also - if you don't care about fuel economy, just run an open loop tune and remove the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Post a screen shot of the table and highlight the corrected area. The best I can offer you is a suggestion.

-Matt
Well, yesterday i could spend the whole day at work working at the dyno (at the end i gained 1, 2 hp) and here i havr some screenshots of the log and the tune so you can take a look at it and maybe give me some advices...

Enviat des del meu LG-H870 usant Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Post a screen shot of the table and highlight the corrected area. The best I can offer you is a suggestion.

-Matt
Well, yesterday i could spend the whole day at work working at the dyno (at the end i gained 1, 2 hp) and here i havr some screenshots of the log and the tune so you can take a look at it and maybe give me some advices...
I'd have to actually be able to see the screenshots to offer any advice!

-Matt

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd have to actually be able to see the screenshots to offer any advice!

-Matt
Do you mean you cant see them at all?
Resolution is so low you can see them, but you cant see them correctly?
Would you prefer to send you the log file and the tune document, so you can open it and see it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you mean you cant see them at all?
Resolution is so low you can see them, but you cant see them correctly?
Would you prefer to send you the log file and the tune document, so you can open it and see it?

No need for logs, I am not giving you tuning advice. I just need to see the highlighted area of the table in regards to your question about smoothing.

Google "Window snipping tool instructions" and use that to get a good screenshot.

-Matt

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have another question maybe the tuners can help me.
First of all i post the picture of the afr of a run at the dyno (full throttle)
As you can see cl to ol is set at 5000rpm. At cl works somewhere arround 14.7 and ol works from 12.8 to 13.1.
The thing is, as you can see in the picture, that above 9000 rpm the afr goes up to 13.3 and past 9500 rpm starts going down to 12.1 afr.
The issue i have is that the grid in c3 map is set in the rpm range up to 9250 rpm (last cell) and if i enrichen that cell to clear that bump at 9000 rpm then past 9500 goes even richer, and if i put leaner numbers in the last cell (9250 rpm) the afr goes leaner from 9000 to 9500 but gets better past that. I dont know how to correct that because i only have one cell to play and have 2 different conditions (first lean and afterwards rich).
My rpm limit is set to 10500rpm and the rpm grid in the injector pulsewith goes up to 9250 rpm (oem rpm limit)
I ve thinking to change the number of that last cell from 9250 to 9750 or 10000rpm to see if that can change anything but i dont know if that will mess spark timing and other settings...
Or maybe somebody has another way to solve it...
Hope i made clear my question...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do this look better?

On the top bar - click "View", then under the 'Tables' subsection, click on "Dynamic Coloring". This is help you immensely for determining areas that would benefit from smoothing. I strongly suggest picking small areas to smooth rather than smoothing the entire table after using the AutoTune script.

I have another question maybe the tuners can help me.
The thing is, as you can see in the picture, that above 9000 rpm the afr goes up to 13.3 and past 9500 rpm starts going down to 12.1 afr.
The issue i have is that the grid in c3 map is set in the rpm range up to 9250 rpm (last cell) and if i enrichen that cell to clear that bump at 9000 rpm then past 9500 goes even richer, and if i put leaner numbers in the last cell (9250 rpm) the afr goes leaner from 9000 to 9500 but gets better past that. I dont know how to correct that because i only have one cell to play and have 2 different conditions (first lean and afterwards rich).
My rpm limit is set to 10500rpm and the rpm grid in the injector pulsewith goes up to 9250 rpm (oem rpm limit)
I ve thinking to change the number of that last cell from 9250 to 9750 or 10000rpm to see if that can change anything but i dont know if that will mess spark timing and other settings...
If you are running the motor past 9250 RPM, you need to adjust your RPM axis scaling as you cannot rely on table extrapolation and still expect accuracy in fueling.

Based on where you let off, I would set my top three RPM axis values to 10000, 10500, 11000. You can then use the 10500 - 11000 cells to ensure you force the motor rich if you overrev which will protect against detonation.

Power Core does not currently rescale the fuel table when you adjust the axis values. This is one of the biggest failures I see in the current coding (Matt - this should be a top priority in software updates as this is something nearly every standalone GUI does automatically). You *CAN* address this by copy + paste work with Excel... it's just an extra step right now that you absolutely, positively do NOT want to forget about.

·
Registered
448 Posts
On the top bar - click "View", then under the 'Tables' subsection, click on "Dynamic Coloring". This is help you immensely for determining areas that would benefit from smoothing. I strongly suggest picking small areas to smooth rather than smoothing the entire table after using the AutoTune script.

If you are running the motor past 9250 RPM, you need to adjust your RPM axis scaling as you cannot rely on table extrapolation and still expect accuracy in fueling.

Based on where you let off, I would set my top three RPM axis values to 10000, 10500, 11000. You can then use the 10500 - 11000 cells to ensure you force the motor rich if you overrev which will protect against detonation.

Power Core does not currently rescale the fuel table when you adjust the axis values. This is one of the biggest failures I see in the current coding (Matt - this should be a top priority in software updates as this is something nearly every standalone GUI does automatically). You *CAN* address this by copy + paste work with Excel... it's just an extra step right now that you absolutely, positively do NOT want to forget about.
In case i rescale the fuel table (rpm axis) do i have to modify (with the exel solution) another table, like for example timing table? Or just the fuel table? Or another tables and settings too?

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's the reasoning for only smoothing small areas?
Most of his map is between 12.8 to 13.1 AFR. I would turn on dynamic coloring and look for rich spots and try to bring the 12.8 areas up to 13.1
I'm guessing it would be a little more fuel efficient and probably make around the same power. You could try smoothing a huge section if you want. You can always revert back to the old map if you don't like the results.
In case i rescale the fuel table (rpm axis) do i have to modify (with the exel solution) another table, like for example timing table? Or just the fuel table? Or another tables and settings too?
I think there's 4 tables it will affect. Injector pulsewidth normal and fast idle, and ignition timing neutral and in gear.

·
Registered
448 Posts
As the bike iddles at 1500rpm could i use the 1100 and 1300rpm cells to use them in the higher rpm range?
Let me explain...
I would erase the data in the 1100 and 1300 rpm cells and relocate from there the whole grid (1200 rpm data would be in the space where 1100 was and 1400 rpm data would be in the cells where 1300 was). At the end of the grid i would have 2 empty cells. Then i would change the 9250 cell and would raise it to 9500 and the 2 empty cells would be 10000 and 10500 rpm cells...
Would this be a good option?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think there's 4 tables it will affect. Injector pulsewidth normal and fast idle, and ignition timing neutral and in gear.
Affects 9 areas of the map:

Injector pulse width - Fast Idle, Normal , Tps Failed
Decel Timing Override - Override active igniton timing
Limiters - Ignition Timing, Max and Min
Ignition Timing - Nuetral, In Gear, Tps Failed

When I made changes to the axis for Injector pulsewidth normal everything carried over to the associated tables

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would erase the data in the 1100 and 1300 rpm cells and relocate from there the whole grid (1200 rpm data would be in the space where 1100 was and 1400 rpm data would be in the cells where 1300 was). At the end of the grid i would have 2 empty cells. Then i would change the 9250 cell and would raise it to 9500 and the 2 empty cells would be 10000 and 10500 rpm cells...
Im sure that would work, changing timing tables as well, in gear for sure not sure if nuetral would be needed.

I think Mr Saturns method would be easier, cause for the most part the last three cells from 8500 to 9250 the timing markers the same. There is a little area at the 8500 rpm range around 20 to 60% tps the timing differs by around 1degree

·
Registered
448 Posts
Im sure that would work, changing timing tables as well, in gear for sure not sure if nuetral would be needed.

I think Mr Saturns method would be easier, cause for the most part the last three cells from 8500 to 9250 the timing markers the same. There is a little area at the 8500 rpm range around 20 to 60% tps the timing differs by around 1degree
I just did a map the way saturn and dubsolo suggested (changing last 2 cells rpm values) and will try that map.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
133 Posts
What's the reasoning for only smoothing small areas?
Highlight the whole map, and hit 'S' about 10 times and that should tell you why.

If you use the AutoTune script, you only want to smooth the modified areas, otherwise you'll pull the 'on target' areas out of the correct IPW value. 1 step forward, 2 steps back, in other words.

201 - 216 of 216 Posts