Honda Grom banner

121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
It would look great if you could match it, a little splash of white to tie the whole bike together. That being said, I think the texture of it might cause problems?

Reactions: dubSolo

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't make it look too good, or else I will be tempted to send you mine! Lol the color matched tail sections already greatly improve the look of the bike.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I see you don't have a rear hugger installed, I have pondered removing mine since I bought the bike. What type of chain lube do you use and how messy does it get? My hugger actually bumps my rear ohlins sometimes.
My Öhlins is mounted right side up. I much prefer how it looks that way. Just a personal preference. It does rub on the rear hugger. I put a small piece of electrical tape on the shock where it touches the plastic. It is right behind the eyelet. That way it can never hurt the finish on the Öhlins.

I use Maxima Chain Wax (dirt bike version) not messy at all nor does it sling off.
I run Maxima Chain Wax too. Seems pretty good.
What made you decide to flip your shock over? How much did you clearance the top side originally?
I never did anything above the shock. I guess it is ok. I don’t see any evidence of it touching.
The ride will probly be slow paced since we will be cruising Hwy98 with that many bikes traffic tourist and the route is a 65mile straight line lol.
If my wife and I rent a house again at Blue Mountain Beach, maybe I could bring the Grom and go for a ride with you guys.

Flipped it cause whenever I ride 2up the dial would make contact at the top and the bottom of the shock would make contact with the hugger.
Ha! You guys have me all curious about my shock clearance. I just went out to the garage to check it out. It looks like my reservoir has touched the hugger. There is a mark in the center of the hugger, right on the edge. It is only a few millimeters across. I never even thought about it hitting there. I always read that the Ohlins piggyback reservoir shock worked fine on the Grom SF. If I eventually have to, I will cut a hole or something.

Honda didn’t leave us much clearance for aftermarket shocks on the SF model.

dubSolo, are you going to mount the shock right side up now that you cut that hole?

•Edit to add some more questions.•

I went and looked at my Öhlins a second time. It appears that maybe the torx head screw that is in the center of the reservoir, on the underside, is what has contacted the hugger. There is a spot about the size of the tip of an ink pen.

Was your hitting really badly? How bad was the compression clicker hitting the underside of the battery tray thingy? Did you cut a hole in the tray too?

I suspect mine isn’t hitting too badly, but I don’t have my Kepspeed swingarm installed, so my stock swingarm doesn’t move as freely. I also haven’t ridden 2up since installing the Öhlins.

I still prefer this shock over the remote reservoir version. That reservoir is in the way of maintenance and likely wouldn’t fit with my Kitaco starter cover. I also just like the look better of the piggyback setup.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
If my wife and I rent a house again at Blue Mountain Beach, maybe I could bring the Grom and go for a ride with you guys.

dubSolo, are you going to mount the shock right side up now that you cut that hole?
Hahaha Blue Mountain Bch havent been that way since Nextel push to talk phones were a thing (BeepBeep).

We could easily cruise Old Hwy98, 30A, Seaside hell even Panama City Bch

Going to leave shock in this position makes it easier to adjust my compression for 2ups.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
•Edit to add some more questions.•

Was your hitting really badly? How bad was the compression clicker hitting the underside of the battery tray thingy? Did you cut a hole in the tray too?
My bad @Upgrayedd just now seeing this, No did not cut tray or anything under the seat.

The compression knob just barely sits at that little recess under the seat / battery tray, I noticed the knob and the recess area has scaring from where its making contact.

Whenever I re-center it,,, after riding its usaully right back pressed against rubbing that area... Ill try to take a picture of the marks and post later

I do have my Ohlins at max spring pre-load of 19mm and compression set to just 3clicks dialing back out from max compression. It has helped but still just barely kisses the hugger,,, so hole cut mod was put in affect lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
My bad @Upgrayedd just now seeing this, No did not cut tray or anything under the seat.

The compression knob just barely sits at that little recess under the seat / battery tray, I noticed the knob and the recess area has scaring from where its making contact.

Whenever I re-center it,,, after riding its usaully right back pressed against rubbing that area... Ill try to take a picture of the marks and post later

I do have my Ohlins at max spring pre-load of 19mm and compression set to just 3clicks dialing back out from max compression. It has helped but still just barely kisses the hugger,,, so hole cut mod was put in affect lol
Do you feel like you are running too soft of a spring for your weight or is that only when you a riding 2up?

Yeah, the piggyback Öhlins reservoir is offset, so everytime you center it, the reservoir wants to lean back over to the left side.

I took a small piece of electrical tape and put it on the left side plastic in the recess tunnel. Seem to be working, so far.

I’m still glad I got the piggyback version, instead of the remote reservoir.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
@Upgrayedd That is I...

4 Groms, 2 Zpro's, 3 Sumo's and some dude on a Kawasaki Vulcan... Coolest part, one of the Z riders was a 70yr old man with a skull cap...

Side Note! His Z is all stock he had to weigh at least a 180+ lbs was keeping up at 62mph no problem... Not bad for a Z!

·
Registered
426 Posts
2:30 in... Squad!
Neat. That is a lot of bikes. I’ve never done a big group ride like that on motorcycles.

I love how the Groms sound accelerating out of there, compared to everything else! What fun little bikes.

I know from experience riding in large packs on bicycles, it is much easier to keep up in a pack, because of the decreased wind resistance. You kind of get sucked along. Maybe that helped the Kawasaki Z125 Pro a little bit too.

I’ve been to that Destin Commons shopping center several times over the years. There is a Bass Pro Shops there, I remember.

When I was much younger we liked to stay in Panama City. Then, when I got a little older we preferred Destin. We would stay at Jetty East. Nowadays, it’s 30A...Blue Mountain, Seaside, Seagrove. I must be getting old and boring...lol. When we were there in 2018, I couldn’t believe how busy Destin had become, especially compared to 20 years ago.

We don’t go to Florida as much as we used to. For the past 15 years I’ve preferred international travel when we can, but the last trip to the 30A area was a really good time. I’m sure we will go back again. The Grom might be fun to get around on in that area.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
You kind of get sucked along. Maybe that helped the Kawasaki Z125 Pro a little bit too.
I didn't even think of that lol, he was doing that 62 on our way to p-cola which is a good 40 miles and he stayed at the back of the pack so no one to really push him but definitely able to get sucked in I guess....

Yeah the group was so big didn't even know this happened, a lot of the riders would get to the stop spots a good 30 to 45 minutes before the rest of the pack...

Stuntn is cool,,, buuuuuut...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I’ve been to that Destin Commons shopping center several times over the years. There is a Bass Pro Shops there, I remember.

We would stay at Jetty East. Nowadays, it’s 30A...Blue Mountain, Seaside, Seagrove. I must be getting older...lol. When we were there in 2018, I couldn’t believe how busy Destin had become, especially compared to 20 years ago.
I worked at that Jetty East for 2 summers, Destin has grown really fast. I left the area for 4yrs came back, seem to have grown twice its size.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Stuntn is cool,,, buuuuuut...
Dude took out the person filming. I would be pissed! lol! Stuntn is cool, but you can definitely get caught up in a crash when on a group ride.

I’ve watched so many YouTube videos of big group rides on Groms. I’m sure you have seen the pile up crash videos.

Like I said before, as I get older, I shake my head in disbelief at all of the stupid stuff I see...lol. Mob mentality takes over. Everyone acts like the law no longer applies to them.

It was the same way on our weekly cycling ride (road bicycles) years ago. It was a 34 mile loop. It basically became a race. Everyone was running stop signs and red lights. Lots of stupid stuff would occur. I didn’t care at the time. It was fun and we were super fit.

I’ll just say this, it didn’t help our cause. It made a lot of people angry.
I worked at that Jetty East for 2 summers, Destin has grown really fast. I left the area for 4yrs came back, seem to have grown twice its size.
Small world. I remember everyone loved Destin compared to Panama City, because it wasn’t as busy. Those days are over with. Ha.

You said you work at Eglin. So I guess you are either in the military or a civilian employee.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Dude took out the person filming. I would be pissed! lol!

Small world. I remember everyone loved Destin compared to Panama City, because it wasn’t as busy. Those days are over with. Ha.

You said you work at Eglin. So I guess you are either in the military or a civilian employee.
Definitley sucks being taken out by someone else, Those two are buddys, their use to it lol...

Yeah I work out on Eglin for a private government contractor present in 5 countries,,, Small scale compared to some Private contractors

The movie War Dog is the best way to explain it believe it or not,,, but without all the Treachery 😂

·
Registered
426 Posts
Definitley sucks being taken out by someone else, Those two are buddys, their use to it lol...

Yeah I work out on Eglin for a private government contractor present in 5 countries,,, Small scale compared to some Private contractors

The movie War Dog is the best way to explain it believe it or not,,, but without all the Treachery 😂
I understand. I’ve seen that movie.

Do you enjoy living in that area? Do you get to spend much time on the water?

You are about to break 1000 posts. You better get busy today! Only 7 more to go. Then you win a prize. Ok, maybe there is no prize.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts