Honda Grom banner

DUAL SPORT Grom for 2015

26K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  1WheelDrive 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple months back, Dirtbike magazine had a teaser article about them building an offroad/dualsport Grom. They had tires picked out... a skid plate... and were brewing up a big build to be detailed in a later issue.

In the August issue, in response to a reader's letter ("David Van Riper" are you here on the forum btw?)... they state:

"Our dirt Grom project is temporarily on hold, as we've heard rumors of a dual-sport model from Honda for 2015. The skid plate pictured was a prototype from DG Performance. Give them a call. If they think there's some demand, they might just become a part of the revolution."

SO.

Obviously Dirtbike magazine would have the inside Honda scoop as much as one could expect. Does anyone know ANYTHING additional at all to corroborate?

Honda. Please. For the love of all things holy and Gromy... MAKE. THIS. HAPPEN.

The market for an inexpensive, small, offroad worthy Grom is huge and eager. Think of the popularity of the CT70 and everything it spawned. This is our present day CT70. Let the revolution happen!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I can say first hand that there are no rumors around the shop about it, but I don't see it as something that couldn't happen. Honda's been releasing a lot of new models recently....I think it'd awesome. That was my initial plan when I got my Grom, but once I saw how awesome it is in the turns, I just couldn't swap for knobbies.

#3 ·
Same here. Had tries picked out and everything but now she is a canyon queen.

I'd rather have that CrossCub instead of a DS Grom.

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net

#7 · (Edited)
It's definitely possible it could be a US specific model.

Look how many different models Honda has elsewhere, that aren't available here.

Plus, they change things on some of the models to best meet the needs or uses for specific markets. They do that with their automobile line too.

I remember in the 80's Dirt Bike and Motocross Action used to have a section in their magazine that talked about rumors and they sometimes had photos.

I remember them talking about the rumored "Pro-Link" suspension being tested. Wasn't long after they had spy pictures of a works RC250 with it. News was slow then. Lol.

Today with the internet and computers nothing stays secret very long.

Sent from my XT1055 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

#8 ·
Skid plate pictures

Does any one have a better picture of this skid plate or how its mounted. I like how it covers the exhaust rather than keep a hole for it to go through (which is kinda pointless I think). I can TIG one up but just need a better view of the other side.
Land vehicle Vehicle Sports Motorcycle Motocross

#22 ·
This is one I came across........Looks like you could make it easy enough

thats actually interesting. I wonder if that's a custom pipe... The way it's routed helps a lot. The biggest problem is the exhaust port on the head. If it was to the side that would be perfect. If you want to dual sport it while camping that pipe would help. But gotta have a skid plate that protects the manifold. Neat pic thanks

#17 ·
Just need to see the other side, wouldnt be hard to tig at all..

BTW Spotted - Grom on a motocross cross track in TX

Best comment :
"Yeah I was there racing this race. The Guy on the grom raced 12 open. I wanta say he wound up around 8-10 place there were 30 riders in that group/class.the Guy would honk the horn for you to get outa his way. During practice I followed his tracks BC he smoothed out the dirt w hisstreet tires. The Guy rode the piss out that grom."

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Soil Motocross
Land vehicle Vehicle Sports Motocross Soil

#18 · (Edited)
It's well worth modifying the Grom for off road competition. I had someone do one for me and it turned out great. Many of the parts have been replaced or modified, but if you look closely I think you can see the Grom in her. First and foremost were the engine mods. Over $2k worth! These included, but were not limited to: conversion to 2T engine, new transmission bearings, seals, clutch basket, EBC kevlar clutch springs with heavy duty springs, Hot Rods complete crank and connecting rod all topped off with a Wiseco Pro Lite piston and Boyeson Rad valve with carbon fiber reeds. The FMF SST pipe and Power Core 2 Silencer sweeten the sound. Then the frame and suspension were reworked. Race Tech springs and valves were installed. Then an Ironman front sprocket with a Vortex rear sprocket harness a DID gold chain. Stopping power is provided by EBC and Driven. It came with yellow and black plastic and an oversize tank. Too many mods to list them all. Here's some pics.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Yellow Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Spoke Motorcycle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Spoke Bicycle wheel Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Supermoto

Honestly, this is a bike I bought off craigslist for $1500 and and the modifications listed above are a few of the mods on the bike when I purchased it. Not sure why anyone would waste any money trying to make a Grom into an off road machine when you can get WAY more for so much less. I understand the love for the Grom, I have one, but let's be realistic. Besides being awesome on the track, this bike looks nice beside some of my other bikes. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Car

#19 ·
It's well worth modifying the Grom for off road competition. I had someone do one for me and it turned out great. Many of the parts have been replaced or modified, but if you look closely I think you can see the Grom in her. First and foremost were the engine mods. Over $2k worth! These included, but were not limited to: conversion to 2T engine, new transmission bearings, seals, clutch basket, EBC kevlar clutch springs with heavy duty springs, Hot Rods complete crank and connecting rod all topped off with a Wiseco Pro Lite piston and Boyeson Rad valve with carbon fiber reeds. The FMF SST pipe and Power Core 2 Silencer sweeten the sound. Then the frame and suspension were reworked. Race Tech springs and valves were installed. Then an Ironman front sprocket with a Vortex rear sprocket harness a DID gold chain. Stopping power is provided by EBC and Driven. It came with yellow and black plastic and an oversize tank. Too many mods to list them all. Here's some pics.
View attachment 17796 View attachment 17797 View attachment 17798 View attachment 17799

Honestly, this is a bike I bought off craigslist for $1500 and and the modifications listed above are a few of the mods on the bike when I purchased it. Not sure why anyone would waste any money trying to make a Grom into an off road machine when you can get WAY more for so much less. I understand the love for the Grom, I have one, but let's be realistic. Besides being awesome on the track, this bike looks nice beside some of my other bikes. View attachment 17800 View attachment 17801

Are you retarded? That's a cr85 it has a 2stroke pipe for one. I hope you brought your 4k grom to the shop and they swapped it with some 15yrolds old race bike.

you're a potato

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.