Honda Grom banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking on the forum for several weeks trying to solve this, but haven't been successful. Hoping someone on here can point out what I am doing wrong.

Following the information in the thread mentioned above, I swapped out the OG Stator and Rectifier for an SF. And added the 4th bearing support while at it. I did this in order to install the Monster Eye Kit from Drow (link below) as it vaguely mentions doing "LED Mod for 2014-2015 Honda Groms".

Trouble is, I cannot get the light to light unless I "reverse the wiring" from the H4 connection on the bike. And then it's either the Low Beam or High beam, depending on how I wire it. I've read a number of threads on here about AC, DC, Half Wave, Negative Current, etc, etc, etc. And while I consider myself a pretty smart guy, I never am able to pull enough information out of those threads to solve the issue.

So, here I am. I have access to an inexpensive multimeter, barely know how to use it, and looking for your help.

My GOAL: Install the monster eye with ZERO mods to the wiring, use the stock controls, and leverage the SF Stator and Rectifier. Can this be done?

One final piece of info, I bought this bike used with some LED blinkers install by the PO. At this point I have disconnected EVERY light on the bike (aside from dash) trying to get this headlight to work.

I hope this is enough detail; happy to add more if needed. and Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can sense i threw a lot out there. Let me start with my first question:

Can a stock OG with an SF stator and an SF rectifier run a H4 LED headlight? Is there a “third” item i need to add?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Fender Rim Gas

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Since the Monster Headlight uses the same headlight as a Jeep Wrangler, I hooked up the light to my jeep and verified the new light worked. And for shits-and-grins i hooked up the Grom to the Jeep’s headlight and got the same result as before (I can power the light if I “cross wire” it as shown). So I know the headlight works properly and its something with the Grom that’s messing with me.

So I got to thinking. In the OG , the headlight is powered directly from the Stator (i am 90% sure based on the wire diagrams and what i’ve been reading). If that is the case, then why would swapping out the OG rectifier do ANYTHING for the headlamp. The headlight wiring isn’t suddenly going through the rectifier. I think i need to re-pin things. But in the post i refernce above, the Plan was NOT to alter the wiring.

·
Registered
2014 Grom
25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. I’d seen the Gojin mentioned in some of the threads with mixed comments on reliability. It’s the main reason I went with the SF stator and rectifier swap. It does seem to support the statement that a rectifier swap is needed.

The readings on the multi-meter has me super confused. It’s the negative value that injust don’t understand. I want to “prove” the rectifier is working, but don't know “how”.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. I caved. Ordered the Gojin. We shall see what new madness this brings in 3-5 business days...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light Hood

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

@Ghost56 that seemed to do the trick; well about 95%. I dont have High-beam indicator on the dash. Not sure how i feel about it overall. On one hand, it’s working finally. But now i have to rewire all the lights as i tore a lot apart getting here. Ultimately thats on me for my troubleshooting approach.

i also am worried about the reliability of the Gojin just based on what i have read on the forums here. The bike is my daughter’s so i very much want to make sure she doesnt get stranded somewhere on it. If it was just for me, no worries.

as for the hi-beam indicator. It’s annoying but not a deal breaker.

i guess i wish i knew if what i was trying to do with the SF rectifier was even possible like what i though i read in that original post.

to summarize here is my mod: 2013 Grom. SF stator. 4th bearing support. Gojin rectifier. Drow Monster Eye.

·
Registered
2014 Grom
25 Posts
i also am worried about the reliability of the Gojin just based on what i have read on the forums here.
I've been running the Gojin rectifier since 2016 and haven't had any issues with it. Glad to see you've got things sorted though.

Reactions: Dewback75

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Started putting the bike back together. Headlight and front signals are installed and working!

Did have trouble mounting the Gojin; it’s a tight fit. Ended up loosing the wiring harness right about and another in front of the rectifier to make it fit. I used the original bracket for the rectifier and get it in there.

The wiring does rest against the Gojin’s fins, as does the brake reservoir. I am a little concern now about vibration wear thru the wire and reservoir. I have new body panels coming in so will check the fit and adjust from there with either spacers or padding.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Automotive fuel system Coil Automotive design Motor vehicle Auto part

Glove Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And done. She’s back together. Took the opportunity to correct the wiring for the LED tail / brake / turn signal light and license plate like. Everything works (aside from the high beam indicator) and she looks mean.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 12 of 12 Posts