Honda Grom banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
388 Posts
The over pipe actually gives a reasonable clearance to the oil filler line and also the oil cooler lines.

For your throttle body, use a 34mm unless you are going to get it ported. A 34 is enough for a 5 axis or standard takegawa head. The 37 I have is overkill unless you are getting it ported.

The 15d cam is not much different to the 10d cam. Peak lift and duration is about the same, with the profile and lobe seperation being slightly different. If you really want a top performer, either send your 10d cam to Web Camshafts ($$$$) or send your 15d to DCR ($$). Both these companies have produced upgraded cams for both the takegawa and koso 4v heads. If you decide on the DCR, tell Dan to give you the same grind as Aaron.

I'd be very skeptical of the 27hp claims, since the 5 axis still has an anaemic exhaust port.
The Takegawa chart with the 27PS is on their latest Monkey brochures.

Yet, in the same box they include Grom parts brochures that show 23PS.

What I can say is their chart has been accurate so far regarding the power output on my 2V 181. If anything they are slightly under representing their numbers.

Hoping for the big gains.

Looking at their 10/10D versus 15/15D it does show much more high end capability with the 15D cam. It shows stable top end power all the way to 12.5k rpm.

The 10D tapering off slightly earlier and having a peak at high end versus the plateau of power in the 15D cam.

The 27PS chart I haven't seen online.

Maybe it is for their complete engine that has the dry clutch?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
What's going on with the build?
Haven't had a chance to post. It's fully rebuilt with the ported head and 5 speed. I've also added a Healtech quickshifter and an Opmid dash. All I can say is that it absolutely rips. Its faster than a 12" minibike deserves. Since putting it back together, I've also cut out the welded in baffle in the Over racing exhaust. GF did some dyno testing which showed that the Over baffle is very restrictive.

I've also done a full engine build for a friend, where we did a neo with a much bigger cam (+13% lift, +30% duration over standard neo cam). That turned out to be a very fun 2v setup.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Haven't had a chance to post. It's fully rebuilt with the ported head and 5 speed. I've also added a Healtech quickshifter and an Opmid dash. All I can say is that it absolutely rips. Its faster than a 12" minibike deserves. Since putting it back together, I've also cut out the welded in baffle in the Over racing exhaust. GF did some dyno testing which showed that the Over baffle is very restrictive.

View attachment 89355
View attachment 89356 View attachment 89357 View attachment 89358 View attachment 89359

I've also done a full engine build for a friend, where we did a neo with a much bigger cam (+13% lift, +30% duration over standard neo cam). That turned out to be a very fun 2v setup.
Nice.

What are the dyno numbers?

Also, how do you compare the Neo to your build?

I'll have most of the parts to build my 4 valve 5 axis ported Takegawa setup with 5 speed in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
No dyno numbers just yet.

My bike will leave the neo behind but I think the neo+bigger cam compares pretty well with a straight out of the box non-ported takegawa 4v (10d cam).

Now that I've done a neo build, I have a rough idea how the cranks compare. The takegawa crank is definitely heavier than the kitaco.

The other plus with the neo is that an upgraded auto-tensioner will do the job, even with a more aggressive cam. The 4v realistically needs a manual tensioner, even on the standard cam

For your build, what ecu are you using? My ignition timing is very different to stock to make it work well

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
No dyno numbers just yet.

My bike will leave the neo behind but I think the neo+bigger cam compares pretty well with a straight out of the box non-ported takegawa 4v (10d cam).

Now that I've done a neo build, I have a rough idea how the cranks compare. The takegawa crank is definitely heavier than the kitaco.

The other plus with the neo is that an upgraded auto-tensioner will do the job, even with a more aggressive cam. The 4v realistically needs a manual tensioner, even on the standard cam

For your build, what ecu are you using? My ignition timing is very different to stock to make it work well

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk
I've got the DynoJet Power Vision 3 and DynoJet themselves (they are headquartered in my town) dyno tuning the bike.

Tell me more about switching to a manual tensioner. Were you getting chain slap?

So far I've found Takegawa to be very well engineered and other than their upgraded tensioner I have not seen an upgrade from them for this application. Not even their longblocks have a manual tensioner.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just found this on a Takegawa page and was unaware.

"Be sure to use genuine with moderate damper effect and our company push rod head.
Cam chain tensioner push rod head 00-01-0279

Because reinforced push rod heads sold by other manufacturers cause a large load on the cam chain and cause engine trouble, please do not install at the same time."

I'll order one for my build. I'm currently using an upgraded delrin button.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I've got the DynoJet Power Vision 3 and DynoJet themselves (they are headquartered in my town) dyno tuning the bike.

Tell me more about switching to a manual tensioner. Were you getting chain slap?
I'm using a yuminashi manual tensioner, with their rod and brass button. With the spring tensioner, I was getting chain slap at high rpm. My limiter is at 11.5k (Highest possible with pv3)

If the dynojet maps premade maps are anything to go by, don't expect much from them. I can PM you my ignition timing tables for the takegawa 4v. They will look pretty radical, but I've been using them for 2500km's and they aren't much different to what GSX runs on his takegawa grom.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm using a yuminashi manual tensioner, with their rod and brass button. With the spring tensioner, I was getting chain slap at high rpm. My limiter is at 11.5k (Highest possible with pv3)

If the dynojet maps premade maps are anything to go by, don't expect much from them. I can PM you my ignition timing tables for the takegawa 4v. They will look pretty radical, but I've been using them for 2500km's and they aren't much different to what GSX runs on his takegawa grom.
Definitely PM me what you can. What is the engine revving to now?

·
Registered
123 Posts

Will be interesting see your ignition timing tables .

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,145 Posts
What a great way to spend the day!

Reactions: mongerrr
81 - 93 of 93 Posts