Honda Grom banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Looking good!

As for your forks, the rings are supposed to come that way out of the factory. In all videos I saw online and also on my own bike the (piston?) rings are facing the same way on stock forks.
Weird. My friends monkey had them facing different ways out of the factory.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The factory manual I have is the one floating around on the web. I think it is for OG. But that manual doesn’t mention that there are two directions. It just shows one picture with the piston ring. So that implies there shouldn’t be a difference between the two forks on the factory setup.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The factory manual I have is the one floating around on the web. I think it is for OG. But that manual doesn’t mention that there are two directions. It just shows one picture with the piston ring. So that implies there shouldn’t be a difference between the two forks on the factory setup.
View attachment 88814
That picture is for the ring next to the seal, not the damper assembly. The monkey service manual doesn't have anything about removing the damper rod, because you don't need to do that to change seals or fluids.

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Okay, tried searching for the position of the piston rings on YouTube. I can not see any evidence that they are facing one or two directions on stock forks. So it keeps being a mystery. If I recall, I think the were in one direction when I did my forks. But I can’t tell you for sure.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Been a while since I posted lol. I've done some more stuff but haven't had a chance to write up about it. We'll start with the cush drive. I got the Avail Motorsports +15% cush drive. It definitely launches harder, but I'm not sure if thats because its stiffer or just the fact that they are new. I was surprised with how chewed up my stock ones were. Mine were amongst the first lot to get shipped, so we'll have to see how they hold up long term. This seems like a much better option than the hubs that delete the cush drive. Spend some time on a supermoto forum and you'll see why....

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Next up is a 37mm Chimera throttle body. Not sure why they go to the trouble of overboring a throttle body, but then not port it. I ended up porting it myself and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. For the manifold, I decided to get a GF rev wedge since its the only one big enough to be ported to 37mm on the throttle side and 33/34mm on the head side (that's what I'm aiming for when I port the head). TBH, if it wasn't for the size I was after, I wouldn't have gotten the rev wedge, because it really doesn't fit the monkey as good as the koso manifold. Over the holidays, I'm going to port my stock head for practise and if I'm happy with the results, I'll port my 4v head myself, otherwise I'll get it done professionally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let me know what the quality of the highspeed gears is like. I'm currently talking to the NT Speed guy about a replacement, since the set they sent me has some surface defects. The guy thinks it may be a one off batch issue. If it can't be resolved, I'll be asking for a refund and going takegawa.

View attachment 88618 View attachment 88619
Sorry, just seen your response. The 5 speed has been in a couple of months and seems fine, positive changes, no extra whine. I changed the oil fully expecting there to be some filings in the screen, but all was good. This is the only pic I can find on my phone, quality looked good. Not really got the extra top end I wanted as 5th is only a little longer, seem to kill it with a 16t front

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
1,000 Posts
Sorry, just seen your response. The 5 speed has been in a couple of months and seems fine, positive changes, no extra whine. I changed the oil fully expecting there to be some filings in the screen, but all was good. This is the only pic I can find on my phone, quality looked good. Not really got the extra top end I wanted as 5th is only a little longer, seem to kill it with a 16t front View attachment 89007
What are the ratios and where can you purchase?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Next up is a 37mm Chimera throttle body. Not sure why they go to the trouble of overboring a throttle body, but then not port it. I ended up porting it myself and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. For the manifold, I decided to get a GF rev wedge since its the only one big enough to be ported to 37mm on the throttle side and 33/34mm on the head side (that's what I'm aiming for when I port the head). TBH, if it wasn't for the size I was after, I wouldn't have gotten the rev wedge, because it really doesn't fit the monkey as good as the koso manifold. Over the holidays, I'm going to port my stock head for practise and if I'm happy with the results, I'll port my 4v head myself, otherwise I'll get it done professionally.

View attachment 88954
View attachment 88955 View attachment 88957 View attachment 88956

View attachment 88958
Any updates on the going with the huge throttle body and head porting?

Did you start with the regular 4V or the 5 axis ported version?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i buy direct from Hispeed using their facebook page. They use DHL and PayPal, I've had 2 orders from them, they speak good English and I get stuff delivered to the UK within a week. Quality is good rather than fantastic. I run their BBK, stroker crank, head, cam etc as well the the 5 speed transmission and I'm happy for a 50% of the cost of the Takegawa/Kitaco stuff. They are quite happy to put a lower value on the invoice too, so you pay less import tax :)

Hispeed parts global

There is also a shop on the facebook page, which the image below with the gear ratios is from.

They also have a website although its clunky but can be translated using Google translate
Hispeed racing parts I อะไหล่แต่งรถมอไซค์ และของแต่งรถออนไลน์

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Any updates on the going with the huge throttle body and head porting?

Did you start with the regular 4V or the 5 axis ported version?
I started with the regular 4v. At the time I got it, you couldn't get the 5 axis in silver and I didn't see the value in getting the 5 axis if I was going to port it bigger anyway.

I've decided I'll get it ported professionally. The workshop that's doing it is closed until the 4th of January, so that's when I'll tear it down to put in the takegawa 5 speed as well.

The 37mm is overkill on the standard 28mm port. My 1/8th mile times haven't changed on the dragy, so that means there's probably no difference in top end power between a ported 34 vs a ported 37 when using the standard port. It'll only come into its own once its ported.

For reference, the takegawa intake port size is 28mm standard or 30mm for the 5 axis. Exhaust port is 23mm on both. I'm asking for 33-34mm in and 27mm ex, which is 43% and 37% larger, respectively. I don't have one, but I've been told the koso intake port is a 26x38mm pill shape (equivalent circle diameter of ~32.5mm). I'll be sure to post some before and after pics in January.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
See my gearbox thread for the ratios

Yuminashi is rebranding the HiSpeed gearbox. If you have the patience to deal with the Thai guys, you can get it direct, otherwise yuminashi has good English speaking customer support.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Been a while since my last post. I'll be getting my head back today and I'll be posting up some pictures later. While the bikes been apart, I've also installed a takegawa 5 speed, GF heavy duty studs, new oil seals, HEL braided brake lines, EBC HH brake pads and made some new matching braided lines for the catch can and oil cooler. While it was removed, I also tapped the remaining 3 holes in the clutch pressure plate, so that I can install a 6 bolt lifter later down the track.

Pictures below....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

View attachment 88954
View attachment 88955 View attachment 88957 View attachment 88956

View attachment 88958
Is you exhaust our of the way of your vented oil filler cap?

I'm also wondering if I should get the bigger throttle body for my 4 valve setup.

Takegawa is claiming this Monkey setup with their CNC 5 axis porting and the 15/15D cam makes 27ps.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Is you exhaust our of the way of your vented oil filler cap?

I'm also wondering if I should get the bigger throttle body for my 4 valve setup.

Takegawa is claiming this Monkey setup with their CNC 5 axis porting and the 15/15D cam makes 27ps.
The over pipe actually gives a reasonable clearance to the oil filler line and also the oil cooler lines.

For your throttle body, use a 34mm unless you are going to get it ported. A 34 is enough for a 5 axis or standard takegawa head. The 37 I have is overkill unless you are getting it ported.

The 15d cam is not much different to the 10d cam. Peak lift and duration is about the same, with the profile and lobe seperation being slightly different. If you really want a top performer, either send your 10d cam to Web Camshafts ($$$$) or send your 15d to DCR ($$). Both these companies have produced upgraded cams for both the takegawa and koso 4v heads. If you decide on the DCR, tell Dan to give you the same grind as Aaron.

I'd be very skeptical of the 27hp claims, since the 5 axis still has an anaemic exhaust port.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Just got my head back and the guys at RAMS in Western Sydney have done a good job. Can't wait to get this back together. The guys have ported the head on both intake and exhaust, ported the manifold, reshaped and optimised the combustion chamber, cut different angles into the valve seats and added shims to the valve springs (extra preload).

Btw, I'm also trying out some NR Magic base gaskets to increase compression. A standard base gasket is 0.5mm and an NR Magic is 0.2mm. This would increase a takegawa 4v from 12.5:1 to 13.2:1 comp. On my bike, it will end up around 12.8:1 due to the material removed in the combustion chamber.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts