Honda Grom banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
GSX on this forum had a cam made for the Take 4V. Not sure it was DCR or someone else though.
Gsx's one is from web camshafts. It's a very wild cam. I'm not sure if he's done other stuff to the retainers/springs to make it actually fit.

Initially, I was gonna go with Web, but DCR has been really easy to deal with as an international customer.

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I would want a 5 speed gearset, if I was splitting my cases!
I just got one in the mail. It's an NT Speed 5 speed from Thailand. Unfortunately, that means I will have to split my cases again...

The NT Speed setup is new to the market and I might be the first English speaker to use it. I thought I'd give it a go since I like the spread of the ratios more than the Kitaco/Takegawa 5spds.

Comparison is below

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Update on the DCR Cam - I had issues with the decomp mechanism not disengaging on startup, resulting in backfires. I ended up stripping the decomp from the cam and running it without it. Its weird compared to the 10d cam because it's faster, but it feels slower. The 10d would lift the front wheel under power and make the suspension squat, while the DCR doesn't do that since the power kicks in much higher in the rev range. The 10d had peak torque at ~7k rpm and peak power at ~9.5k, while the DCR has peak torque at 10.5k rpm. Not sure on peak power RPM because the power hasn't fallen off at my 12.2k rpm limit. I'll have to get it on the dyno later this month. Overall, I have no doubt that the DCR cam makes more power than the 10d, but it would work a lot better with some larger ports and more compression (which I want to do down the track anyway).

I also finally got my Over Racing pipe and Forza Injector (aka 10 Hole Injector or Neo Injector). The Over has a nice bassy tone and is alot quieter than my old Aodonly pipe. The header is pretty large and compares nicely to all the Hindle dimensions I've seen.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I just got one in the mail. It's an NT Speed 5 speed from Thailand. Unfortunately, that means I will have to split my cases again...

The NT Speed setup is new to the market and I might be the first English speaker to use it. I thought I'd give it a go since I like the spread of the ratios more than the Kitaco/Takegawa 5spds.

Comparison is below

View attachment 88488
That's interesting! Could you share a website or something please?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Their are more who like to know! please
It's early days. I haven't installed it yet and there isn't any track record since it's new to the market. I can send details, but for the moment, it's at your own risk.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I'm surprised how much the overall look of the bike changed after putting on new bars, mirrors, grips and bar ends. Bars are Protaper Honda Minis (very low), mirrors are bar end mirrors that I ground out slightly to fit the bars. When I swapped it over, I also put on a kitaco quick pull throttle tube that I had on the shelf for a while (10% less travel).

The monkey has definitely spiralled out of control in 2020, but I'm slowly getting closer to my end goal for the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is the one that @mongerrr mentioned earlier. The gearing looks nice I’m a little afraid for the quality. On FB the seller is willing to sell (as in an extra payment) you insurance for broken teeth. That makes me doubt even more. If I open my crankcase I would like to have some faith in the quality. But maybe I’m being over cautious and is the quality on par. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
have you see this one ? View attachment 88617
Yeah, the HiSpeed is different to the NT Speed that I got. The HiSpeed is has the same 2nd to 5th ratios as the takegawa 5 speed, but with an even taller first. Good for drag racing, but not great for the street.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just bought this kit from Hispeed, should be receiving it shortly. I run a Hispeed BBK with stroker crank and I'm quite pleased with the quality for the price.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I've just bought this kit from Hispeed, should be receiving it shortly. I run a Hispeed BBK with stroker crank and I'm quite pleased with the quality for the price.
Let me know what the quality of the highspeed gears is like. I'm currently talking to the NT Speed guy about a replacement, since the set they sent me has some surface defects. The guy thinks it may be a one off batch issue. If it can't be resolved, I'll be asking for a refund and going takegawa.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Now that I have the Ohlins rear shocks, I could really feel how crappy the forks were. Not afraid to try something new, so I ordered the new YSS fork upgrade kit for the monkey. From Zeedparts, the kit is 202USD, which is significantly cheaper than the Racingbros and even cheaper than the Ohlins. When you consider that the YSS kit includes fork oil in the kit, you can't beat it for value for money.

You don't get 2 sets of springs like you would in the Ohlins, so you have to order the kit with the appropriate springs for your weight. I got mine with 6N/mm springs, which is the recommended rate for 90-110kg riders. The damping circuit looks very similar to the Ohlins kit. One difference that I did note was that there is no spacer/bushing at the bottom of the fork like there is in the Ohlins kit, so I suspect that the YSS springs are longer and actually the right length for this bike.

It's a night and day difference to the bike once it's installed. No more diving under braking and no more blowing through the stroke when landing jumps. I'd definitely recommend this kit to anyone who doesn't care much for the full adjustability of the RacingBros.

The other thing I did notice during installation was just how dodgy the forks are out of the factory. The issues I found during my disassembly were:
  • One fork had damaged/missing chroming under the axle clamp/cap
  • One fork had practically no loctite on the axle clamp/cap
  • Fork legs had 170mL each of some really runny oil
  • The holes used to clamp the fork were not drilled properly, so the fork holding tools couldn't clamp properly
  • Stock springs were different lengths between the 2 fork legs. One had an extra winding in length.
  • The damper piston rings were both in the rebound position out of the factory, so I had no compression damping leg, and 2 rebound damper legs. All fork kits on the market specify that the piston rings should face one in each direction for compression in one leg and rebound in the other

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Since I was paying shipping for my fork kit anyway, I decided to chuck in a GCraft Dantsuki seat as well. The foam seems to be good quality and the cover is grippier than the stock cover. The shape has a dip in the front for when you feel sporty, but still high and flat at the back so you can sit back a relax when you're cruising. Looks good and fully exposes the frame rails.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looking good!

As for your forks, the rings are supposed to come that way out of the factory. In all videos I saw online and also on my own bike the (piston?) rings are facing the same way on stock forks.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts