Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Kitaco 181 2v kit came in a day early.

4CBB7zP9RqmXfCxjeztt%w.jpg

Also picked up the following...
Takegawa Cam Chain Tensioner
Takegawa Crank Shaft Support Kit
Koso BBK Throttlebody with Manifold
OPMID Temp Gauge
Speedometer Recalibration Device

So far the quality of the items look pretty damn good. Looks like the ports could use a little work as far as matching them to the rest of the accessories.

lWKaBVMHTEyoCllFJ0nm+Q.jpg DXXO0Jc3RGeYUHjNqPZOug.jpg 8EJbhK7UR4aTyViI8LbTiA.jpg BikHuqiUSL+vLpTr+wkJ5w.jpg Zc4yvzF8To6yN8K0DjyYTw.jpg lFQJLOfIRpKhnzp0cjgg2Q.jpg

More parts will trickle in over the next few days such as the Drow Sports Carbon Fiber Intake for BBK's and others.

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Very curious to see how you like the Neo kit!
Is that a painted Kitaco cooler or did you find a cheaper alternative?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what oil catch can system are you going to use for CCV to control internal crank case pressure and blow-by and heat????
I haven't decided on that yet. Funny enough I already had some of those harbor freight oil separators laying around so I think I'll test that out first then go from there. So the Decompression kit will go on the oil fill hole and the oil separator will come off the CCV port and back to the intake or vented to the air as well.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unbelievable, all the photos of the build did not turn out. Give me some time while I try to get the photos “uncorrupted”. If I can’t I’ll take new photos after I tear it back apartto take a look at all the internals.

My Drow Big Block Intake is lost in the mail. It got delivered to somebody other thanmyself so I put the stock intake and throttle body back on for the time being.

Everything went to together easily. Only had to file the top ring down just a bitas all the others were spot on.

Bike fired right up, but I had to adjust the idle screw andopen up the mixture screw just 1/8 of a turn.

So, I did the NCY decompression tube on the oil fill withthe oil separator and another oil separator on the CCV back to the intake. I’m going to watch it for now but so far 8krpms and working well, but I may just say screw it and grab the Takegawa CatchCan and call it done on that aspect. Pretty sure the current setup isn’t going towork once I start opening up the rpm range.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Cisco, I pulled the plug after the initial start and looked good. Took it for a 2 mile ride last night and pulled plug again, then I rode this morning to work (12.1 miles) and brought a socket to pull the plug again. I'm very happy with everything. The AFR gauge is almost immediately hitting 12.5-13 on start up. The PCV is set for 13 in the closed loop. The short ride last night and my trims were decent across the board, very few +/-'s. I was not able to hook at after getting to work to check the trims but after I ride 12.1 miles home this afternoon you can bet I'll be hooking up prior to shutting off.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found my Drowsports CF BBK intake. They delivered it on the other side of the base to the main Post Officer instead of the shipping and receiving department that I had it addressed too. PITA, I was on the phone 2 separate occasions totaling over 2 hours (holding times, only 10 minutes of discussion with real person). So tonight I'll be putting the Koso TB on it.

Yes, I had photos of the porting I did to the head. Hopefully I can recover the photos and get them posted on here.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I was riding to the other side of the base I took off from a light and went into second gear and damn thing popped a wheelie! I'm taking it easy too and the fact it was on base is no good. This bike is going to be a handful once its ready to be flogged around.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I need to find an adapter for my compression tester, the plug the NEO head uses has a diameter so small that even my smallest 2 stroke RC vehicle's have larger plug diameters. Never seen a plug so small, I'd hate to look up how much a replacement is going to cost me.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
yep wait till the NEO is fully broken in, wheelies are going to be a hand full. the main thing that you did that improved the NEO kit was port matching the hardware to the head.

When I was in the Navy I was building my first Baja bug "66VW" and in the evening I got to use the Electronics shop since the shop doors was on rollers and just open up the door roll the VW inside and close the door and do my work such as all electrical upgrade from 6v system to 12volt system and this was on Treasure Island SF Calif when I was going to ET school and later got shore station for a couple of years before I was transferred to my ship USS John S McCain DDG-36

Ride safe.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got home and noticed just the slightest little droplet on the bottom of the exhaust stud (rear) and it was smoking just the slightest bit. Looks like oil was seeping out of the stud location.

I've pulled the stud back out thinking I had oil or something but it is clean as a whistle in there.

I used red loctite to torque the stud into the head but it I'm thinking the loctite was seeping out. And I know my temps have been reasonable while idling. I have the OPMID and I have been carrying a temp gun with me and shooting the plug and head at various points during the rides.

I'm going to pull the other stud and take a look and if all good then I'll just use Permatex High Temp Sealant just to be sure. No real need for the loctite any how.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've managed to get the pics recovered of when I was done port matching.

Before and Afters...
LhsEeQ9ZQ4G320EjUrSSLQ.jpg Zc4yvzF8To6yN8K0DjyYTw.jpg D%ZUIG4YTgyYJhKRqV8GNQ.jpg 8EJbhK7UR4aTyViI8LbTiA.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The leak may actually be from the lower tappet cover. I couldn't see it until I got just the right angle. I did a straightness check on the cover and that is good, looks like a new o-ring will take care of that one, its currently old and flat.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All back together and with the Koso TB and new intake as well. Fired right up. Made a few adjustments to the TB and good to go for now.

Can anyone tell me what this port is for on the NEO head. It came plugged with a set screw and sealant. Well it is slightly leaking and I'm about to remove it and reseal it. Curious as to what it is there for though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just saw I forgot to attach a picture of the port I'm talking about.

pFwJzdoASvuF39ykUbobCQ.jpg aHttHytaSMypKhDbnI6UNw.jpg

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Good job on the intake port match, what I did also was go down into the intake port channel near the intake valve stem and sort of dimple port around that area and slowly dimple port coming up the intake channel sort of making a EZ flow of the A/F mixture and causing a swirling affect on the fuel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got a little over 100 miles on the new kit currently.

I've raised the RPM to 10.5k yesterday. Yeah I need an oil catch can, lol. I didn't spew oil all over the place but both of the oil separators have more oil in them than I feel comfortable with. Placed an order with HR late last night for the Takegawa catch can so once I have that installed I'll raise the RPM some more.

I've got an oscillating problem around 70-75 mph currently. It seems to only happen when I'm riding on Silverstrand heading to Coronado. I have not been able to recreate it on the highways yet. I'm wondering if it's a combination of the horrible road surface and the strong ocean winds on that route.

I'll get some pictures posted up tonight.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts