Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching buying a new seat for my 2017 grom, the bump does not work with my old back problems, I need to sit further back. The main issue from those who reviewed the budget seats(non-Corbin brand) had was the plastic base seat did not fit as well as the original.

I came across a great how to site on seat mods with tons of interesting info on foam types, seat shapes, and how mods can be done for very little money. I started my project today with a layer of 1" firm foam, 1/2"med. firm, and 1/2" med. density. I am increasing the overall width toward the front of the seat, along with flattening the forward pitch, all together I will have $45 in foam and spray adhesive. A local upholsterer said they would staple the original vinyl back on for $35, i'm going to attempt first myself with a friends pneumatic staple gun. There are many online options for foam, I posted a link to the company I bought it from below, many people also ask marine/rv repair shops for scrap pieces. Hope it helps!

Home

https://www.sunmatecushions.com/collections/laminar-orthopedic-cushions

·
Registered
62 Posts
This and a quality rear shock go a long way toward making the ride more comfortable. I still have the stock seat but I want to do something similar to what you're doing. It would be better for me if the seat was more level and flat without the recess between the front and back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
curious how this turned out as Id like t do something just like this as the 17 seat is the worst.

I have been researching buying a new seat for my 2017 grom, the bump does not work with my old back problems, I need to sit further back. The main issue from those who reviewed the budget seats(non-Corbin brand) had was the plastic base seat did not fit as well as the original.

I came across a great how to site on seat mods with tons of interesting info on foam types, seat shapes, and how mods can be done for very little money. I started my project today with a layer of 1" firm foam, 1/2"med. firm, and 1/2" med. density. I am increasing the overall width toward the front of the seat, along with flattening the forward pitch, all together I will have $45 in foam and spray adhesive. A local upholsterer said they would staple the original vinyl back on for $35, i'm going to attempt first myself with a friends pneumatic staple gun. There are many online options for foam, I posted a link to the company I bought it from below, many people also ask marine/rv repair shops for scrap pieces. Hope it helps!

Home

https://www.sunmatecushions.com/collections/laminar-orthopedic-cushions

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was wondering if you could remove the cover and foam from an original grom seat pan/bottom and fit to an SF model?

I like the look of the bride models for the SF but wonder if the quality is as poor as the aftermarket one I have fitted at the moment which has rubbed paint of the plastics and looks like it was made in a power cut!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like the look of the bride models for the SF but wonder if the quality is as poor as the aftermarket one I have fitted at the moment which has rubbed paint of the plastics and looks like it was made in a power cut!
I too liked the look of the Bride seats, but on buying one I found the fit poor, the foam barely doing its job and paint rapidly disappearing from the area at the front where it rested on the tank.
On top of that it ended up being less comfortable than the stock seat, despite looking pretty.
I ran it for about 20 miles then swapped the stock seat back, which over time has either settled-in a bit or I've just got used to it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cheers for this Mart, you basically confirmed what I suspected and saved me a few bob also.

I too liked the look of the Bride seats, but on buying one I found the fit poor, the foam barely doing its job and paint rapidly disappearing from the area at the front where it rested on the tank.
On top of that it ended up being less comfortable than the stock seat, despite looking pretty.
I ran it for about 20 miles then swapped the stock seat back, which over time has either settled-in a bit or I've just got used to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts