Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out in the garage and disassembled the HUGE diving board on the back of the Grom this evening. I created a temporary/permanent FEL and figured that others may want to do the same.

Here are a few pictures that may or may help you figure it out. :wink:

KEEP IN MIND... I have not yet installed a white light, or turn signals, but will be doing so in the near future.

After getting all of the original fender I flipped my inspection bracket over and re-attached my plate to the lower holes.

IMG_20130825_203537_935.jpg IMG_20130825_203544_155.jpg

IMG_20130825_203711_491.jpg
Marked the bend lines I wanted
IMG_20130825_203748_383.jpg IMG_20130825_203827_694.jpg
Bent both tabs to the angle I wanted
IMG_20130825_204027_669.jpg
I used the back two bolt holes from the factory fender for my bolt holes and marked my plate where I wanted to drill my holes. Then it is as simple as drilling them, and bolting it together. Remember to use lock washers or in my case flat washers (off of the lower bracket on original fender) and nylock nuts.
IMG_20130825_204140_786.jpg IMG_20130825_205432_277.jpg IMG_20130825_205442_000.jpg IMG_20130825_205948_386.jpg
This is the finished product which I think turned out great for not to supply anything except 2 phillips head screws, and nuts.

VIOLA!!! a $.23 Fender eliminator kit.

NOTE: you will have to upgrade you signal flasher if you don't reattach your factory signals. I believe there is a thread on it somewhere. I will also update this with my remedy of adding signals and a white light for keeping the plate illuminated... as soon as I have time and the parts on hand.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ah the DIY method. Much better than dropping $$$ on some of the other offerings.

Next version needs turn signal mount "ears."

Rant: Why in the hell does a manufacturer stress weight savings and then mass produce this very piece from stainless?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah the DIY method. Much better than dropping $$$ on some of the other offerings.

Next version needs turn signal mount "ears."

Rant: Why in the hell does a manufacturer stress weight savings and then mass produce this very piece from stainless?
I would have bought one if needed, but 1/2 the fun was tearing it apart and figuring out how to make something from nothing. :)

LOL... it is aluminum I believe. I am thinking about going with a different style blinker that won't need ears so I won't have clearance issues on the exhaust... Probably just a small LED strip on each side and a single white LED for the license plate light to keep it legal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What size are the bolts so I know what size washers to get

I would have bought one if needed, but 1/2 the fun was tearing it apart and figuring out how to make something from nothing. :)

LOL... it is aluminum I believe. I am thinking about going with a different style blinker that won't need ears so I won't have clearance issues on the exhaust... Probably just a small LED strip on each side and a single white LED for the license plate light to keep it legal.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
That looks pretty slick. Past experience tells me there is a good chance that it will vibrate a bit so watch for stress cracks down the line.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was going to do something like this on mine. But then I decided to wait and buy one of those 007 license plate hide kits

P.S. thanks for the pics, now after looking at it I might still have to make this so that I have something there to mount the kit to. Thanks :)
A few things to keep in mind with that:
obviously it screams pull me over
I'm not sure about the grom but when I had a similarly flush setup on my ninja, the plate was still completely visible after you got about 5ft away from the bike. So if you were going for a hidden plate, it may not be totally hidden unless you give it room to go parallel to the ground rather than flush with the tail. Just didn't want you to go spending $100+ only to find out that your plate is still fully visible.

Sent from my iPod touch using HondaGrom.net

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to beat an old thread up. But by doing it this way. Did the water coming up off the tire through the holes where the old block off plate was ever cause any issues. Made mine the same way as you. But all those holes in the bottom and water getting shot up in there. Wanted to know if you ever covered the holes or ran into any issues
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts