Honda Grom banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently installed the SMR 6 disc clutch and finding it really difficult to go from 1st to neutral. I seem to be able to move through the rest of the gears OK, though maybe a little harder feeling than with the stock clutch. I've tried moving the clutch bite point further away from the bar to see if that helps, but doesn't seem to so far. I'm using Castrol Power 1 4T 10W30 Part Synthetic oil.

Do you think it's just a case of playing about with the adjustment till I find a sweet spot or maybe this will improve with time? I've only done about 20 miles on the new clutch.

If it stays as it is, I'll likely change it back to stock. I know some people aren't too bothered about using neutral, but I find it handy to be able to easily pop it into neutral to relax at traffic lights etc. I also have a gate at work where I need to press a button on my keys to open a gate and it's been a pain when I can't easily find neutral to free up both hands.

Any thoughts would be great!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
1,495 Posts
Assuming everything was installed correctly, it will get MUCH easier with time. After a couple thousand miles it will feel better than stock.

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update on this one. I’m still having issues following the SMR clutch install. Trouble shifting into neutral from 1st, especially when the bike has warmed up. Sometimes even difficult shifting from 1st - 2nd while the bike is moving. I’ve noticed that the clutch appears to be dragging, as if I put the bike on a stand, pull the clutch and shift into 1st, the rear wheel spins quite a bit.

Perhaps I just need to keep playing with adjustment to find the sweet spot, but it’s getting annoying now and tempted to try some different clutch plates to see if that will fix the issue. Maybe some EBC ones...

Anything else I could try here?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts