Honda Grom banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious if any of y'all have done or heard of anyone doing a small diesel engine swap and if it was worth it

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know of someone who was fitting a Diesel Ducati engine to a Yamaha of some description as I did some machining for him.

The first thing to say is yes I didn't know Ducati did a diesel engine either. Apparently it is a big single that was originally designed and used as a canal boat engine. Needed custom engine mounting plates and I think the final drive or gearbox was a contraption of sorts.

Secondly was the reasoning behind the conversion. In summary it was "why not?", which was good enough for me. Personally though I'm not sure I'd want to invest the time in a project like that, but hey, go for it if you want to.

Thirdly this wasn't a Grom so not sure what if any help I'm being here. Without knowing your background all I can say is this won't be a plug n play conversion, you'll be looking at a lot of work. But if you choose to do this, good luck to you and please post updates and photos.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Where TF do you think to place a diesel engine... with intercooler ? No intercooler? Aspirated ? cmon...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Have heard of and seen plenty of swaps, But Diesel? Not yet (for me anyways)

What would be the reasoning...Other than being the First or Highest gas mileage on a grom?
It would be tough to beat Grom mileage. Mine tops 145 mpg in warm weather. I don't believe anyone makes a dinky 125cc diesel engine. Anything larger screws up the mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts