Honda Grom banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on this...

I performed my first oil change a while back and all appeared to go well.

However, at a later date when i went to discard the oil I had drained from the bike, I found a small metal pin in the oil.

Now I can't bee 100% sure it came from within my bike, but pretty likely as I'm sure the container I drained the oil into was empty initially.

I'll try and take a pic of the exact pin I found, but looked like this I found online:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/...New-Motorcycle-Parts-Grom-Gear-Shift-Drum.jpg

Metal Fashion accessory Silver Wheel

Does anybody know what this may be, if it would have likely came out of my bike, is it something I can easily add back in, should I be worried, etc?

Bike has appeared to run fine since this, so just a bit unsure if I need to do anything.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think it looks like the locating pin that 1/2 goes into the main block and 1/2 into the casing? drain the oil and take the casing off there will be a hole which matches both sides the pin goes there.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
almost looks like the pin that goes to the crank shaft for the gear to the oil pump

You can see the pin next to the woodruff key, the assembly that is tie-wrapped is the replacement parts if you got the Kitaco clutch side cover which removes the oil spinner. The sprocket on the bottom is the one that is held in with the pin, it has a slot that you slide the sprocket over than all the other parts go over that.
Auto part

pin goes in that hole to keep gear in place, this will come off if you have replaced your oil spinner unit with a Kitaco clutch side cover
Auto part Machine tool Automotive wheel system Wheel Machine

you can see the pin on the crank shaft
Auto part Machine tool Wheel Machine Metal

It's a EZ check and see, drain your oil then remove your clutch side cover, remove the oil spinner and all the other parts under it and you might have to remove the oil pump "3 bolts" and then remove the gear on the crank and see if the pin is on the crank.

Good Luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
almost looks like the pin that goes to the crank shaft for the gear to the oil pump

You can see the pin next to the woodruff key
View attachment 79864

pin goes in that hole to keep gear in place, this will come off if you have replaced your oil spinner unit with a Kitaco clutch side cover
View attachment 79866

you can see the pin on the crank shaft
View attachment 79868
I was going to say, do you think it may be the small pin mentioned in this thread:

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-...fting-works-no-acceleration-3.html#post428106

Is this a pain to check?

Odd how all appears to be running fine...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it looks like the locating pin that 1/2 goes into the main block and 1/2 into the casing? drain the oil and take the casing off there will be a hole which matches both sides the pin goes there.
hmmm... not sure it's that, as I think I remember those being hollow pins, but I'll take a look.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pretty sure it's just the bushing that goes in the clutch cover. Not sure what it does, but if Honda put it there it's probably best to put it back in.

Look at 20:30 in this video. Ignore the part that says don't put it back in. This is an install video for an aftermarket clutch cover.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
If it is a solid pin than it goes on the crank shaft, if it is a hollow pin or barrel that it is the position dowel to keep the clutch side cover on and there should be two of them either on the case or on your cover.

good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty sure it's just the bushing that goes in the clutch cover. Not sure what it does, but if Honda put it there it's probably best to put it back in.

Look at 20:30 in this video. Ignore the part that says don't put it back in. This is an install video for an aftermarket clutch cover.

Thanks, but I don't think it's that. That bushing has a small hole in the centre and is larger that the pin I found...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts