Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have sent US spec ECUs to Australia and the UK and they have confirmed to function just fine, but I have not tried to reflash one here before. If you'd like to purchase a core and try it in your bike we can definitely work something out.
Thing is I have 2 ECUs that could use a reflash. I'll get in touch through your site as I'd maybe like to try out a big valve head on the 125.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If I do the "Intake, Exhaust and Cam" (TB Cam) re-flash, is it going to make a difference whether I run a 150cc injector or the factory injector based on the map you send back?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had the DHM 186 ECU (2017!) on my 2018 Grom and it...

Reactions: solidjohnny

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
David,
I would like to send you my Grom ECU for a re-flash. My Grom, however, is a 2017, so I have the "SF" version. Your website currently indicates that you are only re-flashing the OG series ECUs.........I am just wanting to confirm details before I send in my SF ECU. Any guidance is appreciated.
Paul
Paul did you ever send your ecu for a re-flash? I see you're in Lemon Grove. I was thinking of maybe coming to check it out if you did send your ecu.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All the info on here about the re-flash looks good. Will send in ecu in May. My bike has exhaust, and Koso air intake. Just looking to make the bikes engine more reliable.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Paul did you ever send your ecu for a re-flash? I see you're in Lemon Grove. I was thinking of maybe coming to check it out if you did send your ecu.
Greetings. Yes, I did send in my (2017) ECU for a re-flash. Got it right back in a timely manner; no problems, no issues.

Performance: My bike is pretty-much stock (stock exhaust currently, lightly-modded air-box), and I suspect that the ECU re-flash has slightly improved acceleration. The bike feels a little bit "zippier" to me but -- let's be honest -- those are highly-subjective perceptions. I spend a lot of time riding out in the East County area -- where Highway 94 becomes rural "non-freeway." I am WOT much of that time, and I am probably asking for a lot out of that small engine. I was hoping for an increase in top speed after the re-flash -- that would be a more-objective data-point -- but I have not detected that the top speed has increased. Granted, a dyno would be far more accurate. Still, no regrets over having done this.

I'll be happy to provide more details over the phone or in person, if you wish. Maybe we can go for a ride sometime.

·
Registered
91 Posts
here is a review of the Cam and ECU flash. he has timed runs and such. i know it's no dyno info, but it's something.

Reactions: Phoenix

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have watched the video, and I am a fan of the DHM Motoring ECU re-flash concept. Having said that, I honestly do not know that I would consider the results posted in the video to be a "Huge Difference." It seems like acceleration was improved, but top speed might have been slightly reduced. Then again, this may all be within the margin of error between runs.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have watched the video, and I am a fan of the DHM Motoring ECU re-flash concept. Having said that, I honestly do not know that I would consider the results posted in the video to be a "Huge Difference." It seems like acceleration was improved, but top speed might have been slightly reduced. Then again, this may all be within the margin of error between runs.

Thoughts?
I appreciate these U toobers posting up their mod attempts because it will save me a lot of money!

I've only been on my Grom for over a month and I have watched and researched most of these mods/threads. To me, at the end of the day the small gains have to be measured against "bang for the buck". Sure, it's fun to wrench on the bike and try different stuff and if you're racing well.... every ounce matters!

.... but I think the little Grom is just great the way it ships - well almost ;-)

·
Registered
793 Posts
YouTube videos are great and I watch as many as I can. But there are a few problems with them IMO. Just some things you should keep in mind.

1. Sometimes videos are sponsored and occasionally it's not stated. If they give a shout out to a company or one of their "dude bros" from a certain company just be aware that it may be sponsored. If their opinion is different than the masses there's probably a reason.

2. Lots of things on YouTube are overly dramatize and exaggerated to get more views. Everything is "awesome" or "amazing" or "sooooooooooo much better".

3. Some of the YouTube people are clueless. I don't trust dude bros. There's even a very popular Grom YouTuber that seems to struggle with common hand tools. I have absolutely no idea how that person gained a following.

·
Registered
885 Posts

Thoughts?
I also watched the cam/ECU video and noted the statement that there was some loss of low rpm power, likely in exchange for more high rpm performance. Everything is a tradeoff and each rider decides for themselves what they want most.

·
Registered
157 Posts
All the info on here about the re-flash looks good. Will send in ecu in May. My bike has exhaust, and Koso air intake. Just looking to make the bikes engine more reliable.
Did you get your ecu? They charged my card and then dropped off the face of the Earth.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Did you get your ecu? They charged my card and then dropped off the face of the Earth.
Yes. It arrived in about 3-4 days(Cali --> Florida). Sent back and received it in about the same amount of days. Please stop overreacting. I saw your other post and it was unnecessary to call out DHMotoring for their slow service. You are terrible customer.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Is anyone running a PCX150 fuel injector in their stage one DHmotoring reflash?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Is anyone running a PCX150 fuel injector in their stage one DHmotoring reflash?
As an experiment, I ran a Yuminashi PCX150 (140cc per minute flow) injector with a stand alone $87 Yuminashi ECU in my stock 125cc grom
with only intake and exhaust mods.

IMG_1320.JPG

While the engine ran ok and needed to idle faster, there was no improvement in performance and (obviously) a notable reduction in gas mileage.

Then I tried a Yuminashi 120cc per minute flow injector. The engine idled better at 1,500rpm and the low speed tip in butterfly throttle response was
EXCELLENT. If someone was stunting their Grom (I don't) this would be just the thing for them.

The higher rpm performance for both injectors was no better than stock so my stock cam engine was already getting enough fuel with the 90cc injector. It also shared a comparible reduction in gas mileage with the 140cc injector.

After the experiments, I went back to the stock 90cc per minute flow injector. I want to get the most ecfficient gas mileage because I'm a daily transportation rider.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
As an experiment, I ran a Yuminashi PCX150 (140cc per minute flow) injector with a stand alone $87 Yuminashi ECU in my stock 125cc grom
with only intake and exhaust mods.

View attachment 83990

While the engine ran ok and needed to idle faster, there was no improvement in performance and (obviously) a notable reduction in gas mileage.

Then I tried a Yuminashi 120cc per minute flow injector. The engine idled better at 1,500rpm and the low speed tip in butterfly throttle response was
EXCELLENT. If someone was stunting their Grom (I don't) this would be just the thing for them.

The higher rpm performance for both injectors was no better than stock so my stock cam engine was already getting enough fuel with the 90cc injector. It also shared a comparible reduction in gas mileage with the 140cc injector.

After the experiments, I went back to the stock 90cc per minute flow injector. I want to get the most ecfficient gas mileage because I'm a daily transportation rider.
Sounds like there will be no gains so I'll save the $40 and stick with my stock injector for now.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sounds like there will be no gains so I'll save the $40 and stick with my stock injector for now.
That's what I did... and I'm glad I saved you the trouble of finding out by finding out myself. :)

With a 125, the only advantage is the 120 for stunters doing wheelies. Low rpm response is super. Crack the throttle and it really takes off.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That's what I did... and I'm glad I saved you the trouble of finding out by finding out myself. :)

With a 125, the only advantage is the 120 for stunters doing wheelies. Low rpm response is super. Crack the throttle and it really takes off.
Trying to figure out how to get the best of both worlds (low response and high rpm performance). The only way that I see is if I get head port service, and flat top piston. I'm trying to make this 125cc scream.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts