Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only did I get my freebie stickers just a few minutes later I get a delivery from DHL with a package from Tyga. I opened it up and there was all that I had ordered. I going to give you my first impressions on just the CF parts. Sorry for the crappy cell pics in advance

First up is the tank cover. Thin and more flimsy than I would expect. I have ordered CF parts for my ruck and this seems half the thickness. They are easy to bend and seem that is just the slightest amount of wind gets under it, it will blow away.

Second up are the under tank covers. While these look cool and Im sure they do look cool on the bike, Im not real happy with these at all. These seem to be even more flimsy than the tank cover, not only that they are not symetric, so some cutting might have to be done to get them to fit correctly on the bike.

Third are the tank Grilles. These seem to be the best built of what CF items I was sent. The CF is sturdy and is hard to bend however the metal grille part is spot glued in poorly.

The Fly screen is is pretty good quality plastic. You can see on the back the strip of sticky tape that is supposed to keep it on.

I also ordered some strip tape for the wheels and the CF tank filler cap cover. The cap cover comes on a sheet of sticky tape. I didnt even take that out of the package. I just left it there.

And last but not least this is what they sent me to get everything attached to the bike.

Looks like a bottle of Gorilla Glue is in my future

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
IMO if they are just going over existing parts they should be as thin and light as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO if they are just going over existing parts they should be as thin and light as possible.

I see what you are saying, and its a valid point. I'm just giving my initial impression. Things may change when the bike gets here and I start putting parts together.

·
Registered
468 Posts
that's a bummer to hear on the quality.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Yeah if it's an overlay I see no issue in it being thin but the side panels being a bit out of shape is depressing..

Ive never been a fan of carbon pieces (or fg for that matter) for reasons like this, it's rare you get parts that fit like oem and when you do they cost an arm and a leg just to fade in the sun (I live in FL, the sun destroys everything) and yellow out

at least you were sent a goo surplus of double sided tape :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd like to see em on the bike

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Has anyone actually seen the side under tank pieces on a bike yet? That's one of the few add on's I haven't yet...

Thanks for posting up your opinion and pictures. I was wondering if they would look like the fake CF pieces we've all seen that look like stretch CF vinyl over a piece of plastic. Figured with Tyga selling them though we wouldn't have to worry about that.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Carbon parts are a lot easier to get heavy and thick than thin and flexible! They just act as a skin over the stock parts so there is no reason to have them any thicker or particularly strong for that matter! Thin is better for this application. The two side pieces are not supposed to be 100% symmetrical. The lock on the left means the plastic is not identical and there is no join to sneak the carbon in unlike the right side. The trim in the photos you sent is correct and within spec. On the mesh, not really sure what the problem is or what you would recommend. Again, it is just a cover and so we kept the glue to a minimum. If you look at OEM mesh covers such as on an NR seat cowling, you'd see it is spot glued exactly the same way.

For attaching to your bike, the best way is to apply silicone as explained on the products on the website. Maybe including 3M tape is not worth sending at all but we like to give people the option.

·
Registered
100 Posts
By the way, 3M double sided tape is what is used to hold trim and moldings on tons of cars. I work at a large boat shop and its good stuff. Would certainly work for those little parts.

Reactions: jeffcneal

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The two side pieces are not supposed to be 100% symmetrical. The lock on the left means the plastic is not identical and there is no join to sneak the carbon in unlike the right side. The trim in the photos you sent is correct and within spec. On the mesh, not really sure what the problem is or what you would recommend.

For attaching to your bike, the best way is to apply silicone as explained on the products on the website. Maybe including 3M tape is not worth sending at all but we like to give people the option.
thanks for explaining that out for me, makes a bit more sense to me now.

As for the mesh part, might I recommend sealed into the CF, or maybe cover the edges with something???? That could reduce any chances of scratching the paint with the wire.

·
Registered
677 Posts
at acura, we attach side moldings, lip kits, interior kits, spoliers.... all sorts of stuff with the 3m double sided tape. it sticks REAL GOOD. biggest factor is SURFACE PREP!!!!!!! every single accessory we have, step 1 is alcohol cleaning, step 2 is 3m adhesion promoter. that stuff really works.

3M Automotive Trim & Accessories : 3M? Automotive Adhesion Promoters

·
Registered
357 Posts
was the side grilles on the tank sides, they stick on with a tiny bit of sticky back foam, like draught excluder you have on house doors, its crap, but wasn't the 3m stuff, that's good, I would use it no problem, plus I never got these from tyga, these are from Hondas thai accessory catalogue!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just want the bike first! Lol

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
To be honest, we had trouble getting both the Honda ones and ours to stick with 3M tape. Normally 3M is fantastic at sticking things on and the 3M tape used on the flyscreen for example is great. I think the problem is that the panels that the grilles fit to are made from soft plastic which is both a bit greasy (agreed on prep being crucial) but also they flex inward when you apply pressure. I know silicone will work because it always does LOL but on our bike at the moment I haven't used it because we are needing to change components all the time. But I'd definitely recommend silicone sealant for if you don't want to take it off again. The thing to do is makes sure the surface is clean and grease free and then apply the silicone and leave it overnight to really go hard. It is a good idea to apply pressure to the part being glued by covering with newspaper or cloth or similar and the wrap tape around the part while under a bit of pressure so it won't move at all

1 - 20 of 21 Posts