Honda Grom banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
35 here. I’ve been riding a Ruckus for the last few years to commute to work. I recently moved to a new spot that has higher speed limits and needed a little more power, so I sold the scooter and got the Monkey. I’ve never wanted a full sized motorcycle and this thing gets talked about constantly at work and gets more looks than the Ruckus did. Better gas mileage, too. I mostly drive about 35-40mph and calculated 144mpg on the first tank! Love this thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Almost 50, riding for 40 years (wow that sounds like a lot of years). Started on a Honda 50. Currently have a KTM 1290, HD Ultra, Husky dual purpose, CT90 and the Monkey. Yeah the Monkey gets ridden the most. Someone asks me about it almost every time I ride it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Heading toward 66, life long motorcyclist. I currently have a Triumph 675R, Yamaha MT-07, Kawasaki KLX, my Bultaco 125 Pursang and of course now a Monkey. I am badly wanting a Thruxton but then I keep thinking I really want another Ducati, maybe the new Scramblers or then there is the siren song of the Gixxer 600.

·
Registered
883 Posts
35 here. I’ve been riding a Ruckus for the last few years to commute to work. I recently moved to a new spot that has higher speed limits and needed a little more power, so I sold the scooter and got the Monkey. I’ve never wanted a full sized motorcycle and this thing gets talked about constantly at work and gets more looks than the Ruckus did. Better gas mileage, too. I mostly drive about 35-40mph and calculated 144mpg on the first tank! Love this thing.
While I have a Grom, I also enjoyed riding a Ruckus for 4 years...

IMG_0921.JPG

...and appreciate a relatively faster bike with its better gas mileage. :) My mileage is similar to yours as I ride for daily transportation mostly on rural canyon roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
62 here, have been riding since 1971 (48 years? is that possible???), and just bought a red 2019 ABS weekend before last. Have ridden everything from a 1965 Suzuki 80 Hillbilly to a 153hp 2005 Yamaha FZ-1, mostly sportbikes since the mid-eighties, but also as varied as Ducati 900SS, Triumph Bonneville, and Yamaha Turbo. I've typically had 3-4 bikes at any given time, but am now down to the Monkey and a 1980 Yamaha XT250 which is more of a non-ridden collector's item (and currently for sale). Due to some health issues, yet still wanting to take an occasional putt around town, I decided to pick up the Monkey, being light, with a low center of gravity. Even with adjusting to the tiny bit of horsepower, it seems the perfect bike for what I want right now, especially since I really wanted one of these when I was a kid, and never got one!

·
Registered
183 Posts
62 here, have been riding since 1971 (48 years? is that possible???), and just bought a red 2019 ABS weekend before last. Have ridden everything from a 1965 Suzuki 80 Hillbilly to a 153hp 2005 Yamaha FZ-1, mostly sportbikes since the mid-eighties, but also as varied as Ducati 900SS, Triumph Bonneville, and Yamaha Turbo. I've typically had 3-4 bikes at any given time, but am now down to the Monkey and a 1980 Yamaha XT250 which is more of a non-ridden collector's item (and currently for sale). Due to some health issues, yet still wanting to take an occasional putt around town, I decided to pick up the Monkey, being light, with a low center of gravity. Even with adjusting to the tiny bit of horsepower, it seems the perfect bike for what I want right now, especially since I really wanted one of these when I was a kid, and never got one!
So nice to hear about your passion and enjoment of the little monkey. Hope more good people like yourself feel the same way and purchase one also. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
56 Posts
51, riding for +40 years. Live in Mordor (aka Caracas - Venezuela). I ride in some time of my life more that 30 different bikes, from classics to Racing Japanese.
The Monkey is the final (maybe?) in my garage, accompanying a 2005 Ducati Monster S2R (with multistrada 1000 engine, and other toys), a 2007 Triumph Scrambler, a 1976 Moto Guzzi Hidroconvert 1000, a 2009 HD Nighster and a 2007 Piaggio MP3 (the daily rider, has a huge trunk).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Always knew Ii was dinasaur material. 68 revolutions round the sun. 1st stated riding a neighbors home bilt mini.. Straight piece of pipe for the handle bars and a push pul controller off a lawn mower for the throttle, and a piece of metal that rubbbed on the rear tire for the rear brake..Soles of you shoes were the othes brakes. Ridden in 5 foreign countries: Mexico, Canada, England, France, Germany. My old XV 920 Yamaha was the largest ridden and 3 hp Briggs and Sratton the smallest

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like ikeus685; I also started riding and having fun on a mini bike. I still have it... and various other motorcycles, as well.

Height: 5'-7"
Weight: 145

Speaking for myself; having over 50 years of motorcycle experience does not make an expert rider.

DSC01715.JPG DSC01725.JPG

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m in my 60’s and been riding since 1969. Back then my neighbor had a PC50 we drove everywhere. In 1971 I bought a new CB175. I’ve owned several bikes over the years. Currently have a few ranging from a 2018 Goldwing to a 1977 CT70. The 2019 Monkey brings back great memories. Looking forward to warmer weather!

·
Registered
32 Posts
32yrs old, been riding since 2003.
Have had monkey copies (8) over the years, as well as a Honda chaly jap import from 70's with a TJR Honda nice 143+r motor in it.

Needed a new work bike that was good on the fuel, so got the new monkey, put the shadow away for a winter rebuild and just ride the monkey now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
46 years old.
Been road riding 21 years.
Started of on Motocross in my youth.
Have owned over 80 bikes from honda C70 to hayabusa.
Been into monkey bikes about 12 years.
Started with a z50r for my son, which I found out you could road ride.
Have had many monkeys, mainly copies from 50cc to Tb184cc.
Now ride a Yamaha xt660z, z50jz-1(140cc),cf70 chaly low rider and a Grom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
53, riding for 48 years. Crestview, FL - about 30-40 min east of Pensacola. Bought a 2020 red with ABS. Idea is to teach my daughter to ride in our back yard so thought ABS was a good idea. Other skoots: '17 KTM 1290 Super Adventure /R, '14 KTM 690 Enduro /R, '19 HD Sportster Iron 1200, '75 Yamaha Enduro 250. Monkey gets more of my time than any of them right now.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts