Honda Grom banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Grom was first announced, I called my closest dealer, and asked if I could put down a deposit. I was told no, because they "had no capability of ordering it yet". They said they would call me when they could take a deposit, and I would be #2 on the list. Found this forum soon after, and called back. Dealer said "whoops", and told me I was #4 now because they had three deposits, and the previous salesman screwed up. Called another dealer, they didn't even know what it was. So I put down a deposit.

Three weeks ago, I was told I wouldn't get one this year, because they were only getting 3. Ok, give me my money back. Which they did, no problem, in cash nonetheless.

Enter this weekend. I found out another dealer has one in stock. They received three, and only had two deposits since they only expected two. So I called my closest dealer again, and asked if they had received any extras. I was told no, that they had sold three, but had 7 more deposits.

I went to the dealer that had one in stock. A red one, but whatever. $3597 plus tax. I balked, but said ok. Attempted to finance it, but had to put down $100 so no one else could buy it while I was working with finance. Finance lady was a BITCH. As if it was a waste of her time to finance something so small. I asked her a question, and in the middle of it she interrupted. I kept talking, and she yells "CAN I TALK?" Sure, go ahead.

So I randomly dial the smallest dealer in the state. They received ONE. It is black, and NO ONE put down a deposit. How much? $3648.84 out the door with tax. "GIVE IT TO ME". They wouldn't take a credit card over the phone. I chatted up the sales manager, he agreed to hold it until noon tomorrow "no matter what."

Ask for my deposit back from the dealer with the bitchy finance lady. They have to send me a check. Even though I gave them cash. Arrange with the small dealer to pick it up in the AM, since they are too far away to make before they close.

Then, dealer #1 calls me. The one that received three, but had seven deposits. Suddenly they have one available! Salesman says they received an extra, but truth be told, everyone backed out. I tell them to match $3648.84 and I will be there in 5 minutes with cash. They have to call me back.

Ten minutes later, I'm told no. They want $4503 plus tax. hahahahaha. $1000+ more than the other dealer? No wonder all of their deposits backed out. I told them they were morons.

So, dealer #3 is expecting me in 10 hours, and 50 minutes. Cross your fingers. If I get one, I'm going to make some awesome parts for it. The one person on here that knows, knows. :):hondalogo::redgrom:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Damn, glad I didn't go through all that BS. I work at a dealer so I talked to the boss and was told he would rather make money on it. No problem, called a dealer 2.5 hours away known for the lowest prices and they all had deposits on them. No problem, I have cash and am interested if a black one becomes available. 8/17/2013 I get a call that they got 3 in and one black was available. I never even put down a deposit and got out the door for $3166 including 7% sales tax.

You will have your Grom tomorrow man, don't worry. Can't wait to see these parts you are talking about. Care to share other things you have made?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nucking Futs... I was also amazed at the three dealerships I was working with.. Only one was willing to enter into price negotiations with cash. The other two said "you could finance the rest" and unwilling to budge on their inflated Grom prices of $5k. Wow, isn't cash king anymore?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nucking Futs... I was also amazed at the three dealerships I was working with.. Only one was willing to enter into price negotiations with cash. The other two said "you could finance the rest" and unwilling to budge on their inflated Grom prices of $5k. Wow, isn't cash king anymore?

Worse yet, the dealer I went to today that wanted $3597 + tax wouldn't budge on their $489 delivery fee. Despite my company giving them ~$700 in free labor on a RZR we built for them last year. That was strike #1. Strike #2 was when they took 90 minutes to make that decision. Strike #3 is obvious

·
Registered
272 Posts
Worse yet, the dealer I went to today that wanted $3597 + tax wouldn't budge on their $489 delivery fee. Despite my company giving them ~$700 in free labor on a RZR we built for them last year. That was strike #1. Strike #2 was when they took 90 minutes to make that decision. Strike #3 is obvious
How quickly they forget eh? As I was doing paperwork the manager mentioned how they don't make any money on Honda bikes and I replied "except now, right?" I started laughing and then the whole room started laughing (at my expense). Well, you had to be there.

·
Registered
674 Posts
dafaq, I dont understand how the prices are so different @ the us.. you did good! hopefully you get yours fast!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
No, dealers prefer you to finance because they make more money there. Not the case with cash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depends what financing you qualify for and your credit rating, etc. There are many, and many occassions that a customer will finance and the dealer earns a big fat $0 for doing so. Don't think that just because you finance that the dealer is getting some kind of $ to do so. That is not always the case.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
So did you end up buying it at the $3589 plus tax?

Why didn't you buy from the one that was $3684 OTD?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Am I the only one that dealt with a straight up legit dealer? I am even bringing it back so he can ride it since he can't get his until everyone gets theirs!

Sent from the refrigerator using HondaGrom.net mobile app.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My dealer was straight up legit. Rock bottom price without even haggling, lowest interest rate without saying a word and I got a Grom when they first came in without a deposit. Maybe because he knew I worked for a Honda dealer, but I have a feeling they are just good people. Brookhaven Honda in Brookhaven, MS.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My dealer was awesome.....that being said, i was my own sales person.lol

2004 Honda 919
1978 Triumph Tiger
1989 Honda GL15 ( A work in progress...)
2014 Honda Grom ( Soon to come)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts