Honda Grom banner

DCR Camshaft Swap

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  8701michael 
#1 ·
Just recently installed the DCR camshaft on my grom and came up with a possible timing issue. Everything on the install went smoothly and was definitely a lot easier than I imagined it would be. However, when turning the engine over by hand and making sure it is all TDC, the camshaft sprocket lines up perfectly, but the T marker on the engine goes just a hair beyond the window. If you tap the ratchet the opposite way ever so slightly, the T is back in the window and the camshaft sprocket is still aligned. Would this be an issue? There is a little more pressure with the DCR cam installed right before the T appears in the window and that causes it to just go beyond it when hand cranking it. Turned the bike over two separate times and I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. I have not ridden it yet, just to be on the cautious side of things. As always, any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

#4 ·
Let me go back out and get some pictures of what I'm seeing for you guys. I called the dealership just for them to double check everything and wanted $145 for an hour to and hour and a half worth of work. Obviously, I told them to stick it when it takes less than 5 minutes to get to the cam sprocket and timing chain. It might be later on tonight for the pictures, as I have a couple things to do around the house, but I appreciate such quick responses. The timing chain tension bolt is screwed back in. Would it possibly have to do with any of the bolts being off spec? The only thing I have torque wrench size wise is a 1/2", I'm gonna pick up an adapter for 3/8" today and adjust everything to Honda spec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.