Honda Grom banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
As others have posted. In my area summer time temps can be anywhere between 80-100.. on normal days anywhere around 70-85ish I usually see my koso digital cluster go up to around 180-200deg on normal back road riding. If i'm really romping on it and get stopped at a few lights i'll normally see around 206-215ish... Different riding styles will make it vary. On the hot hot days and stuck in traffic it'll come up to 220-230, and I usually will pull off someplace once I hit 230 and let the bike cool off some, or find a side road to take a nice stroll and let temps come dow. (rarely happens that I have to shut it off, but I like to er- on the side of caution). I also use the stock temp sensor and the koso digital speedo cluster w/ temp monitoring. To note: I have koso 170 bbk 4v head.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
As others have posted. In my area summer time temps can be anywhere between 80-100.. on normal days anywhere around 70-85ish I usually see my koso digital cluster go up to around 180-200deg on normal back road riding. If i'm really romping on it and get stopped at a few lights i'll normally see around 206-215ish... Different riding styles will make it vary. On the hot hot days and stuck in traffic it'll come up to 220-230, and I usually will pull off someplace once I hit 230 and let the bike cool off some, or find a side road to take a nice stroll and let temps come dow. (rarely happens that I have to shut it off, but I like to er- on the side of caution). I also use the stock temp sensor and the koso digital speedo cluster w/ temp monitoring. To note: I have koso 170 bbk 4v head.
It's noteworthy that the stock temp sensor reading and the reading you get at the plug are WILDLY different. It might say 235 at the stock temp sensor location and 355 at the other AT THE SAME TIME.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll add that temperature sensors only measure the temperature of the sensor. Unless the system has reached thermal stasis, the thermal resistance will cause compression in the reported temperature, both in intensity and rise and fall time. The actual temperature is guaranteed to be higher than the temperature of the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
87 Posts
After a 10-mile, mostly WOT ride, I shot the cylinder head of my week-old Grom with my IR thermometer and read nearly 300ºF. The crankcase read about 100ºF cooler.

I'm used to water-cooled engines running about 200ºF, so it makes me uneasy seeing such high temperatures on an air-cooled engine even though it's normal. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I maxed out at 340F on my way home today.

This was uphill at WOT.

AFR was a steady 12.5

Stock bore with exhaust and intake.

Seems a little high...

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just installed a Koso temp gauge.

Living in Canada, I'm used to weather and air temperature readings in Celsius. But the bulk of engine/oil temp references are in Fahrenheit... I need to figure out which scale to use for the gauge.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I'm seeing 220F on cylinder 185-200F on the head and 169-200F on the oil depending what RPM I'm riding at or if I'm stuck at a long ass stop light and this is a 181-4v BBK kit engine with all the go fast options.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts