Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what the Grom stunt community thinks thus far. Is there a crash cage or 12 0' clock bar in the works for us part time stunters?

Sent from my bathroom using HondaGrom.net mobile app.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would like a stunt cage. Hmm fabrication time with my bud once I get one maybe.

Sent from the refrigerator using HondaGrom.net mobile app.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thought about and started drafting up designs. Issues is mounting points for the cage, there's not much to the grom in the way of frame but it's in process ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thought about and started drafting up designs. Issues is mounting points for the cage, there's not much to the grom in the way of frame but it's in process ;)
Have you built cages before? If you can put one together I'll bet others would be interested and you could sell them here on the site.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm working on it. I have the tubing bender and all the tools to make it; but, as was mentioned there aren't a lot of place to mount to. I'm going to experiment with it next week and see if I can come up with something aesthetically pleasing and functional.

If you guys have any designs you think might be good. You can send them too me. I don't have a lot of time for the design part right now, the actual metal fabrication is something I can do quickly

BTW I think I may be one of the first people to toss one in the US. (chucked it in the dealer lot goofing off when I picked it up) They crash pretty well. Scraped the bar end and kick stand, otherwise nothing

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after looking at a parts list OEM parts are quite cheap.

Sent from my bathroom using HondaGrom.net mobile app.

·
Registered
942 Posts
For a bike this light an steel framed I would jus get those engine cover protectors. 12 bar u can jus leave te stock rear fender since there's already steel bars running through it.

Stunting on this bike I can't see any high speed stuff Bering done. So jus don't let ur bike go or ghost ride it an no protection should be fine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm working on it. I have the tubing bender and all the tools to make it; but, as was mentioned there aren't a lot of place to mount to. I'm going to experiment with it next week and see if I can come up with something aesthetically pleasing and functional.

If you guys have any designs you think might be good. You can send them too me. I don't have a lot of time for the design part right now, the actual metal fabrication is something I can do quickly

BTW I think I may be one of the first people to toss one in the US. (chucked it in the dealer lot goofing off when I picked it up) They crash pretty well. Scraped the bar end and kick stand, otherwise nothing
Design, I've got. My welding is spotty at best, and my tube bender happens to be a vise and a tree. I've blown apart a couple SI stunt cages on the F4i and "re-fabbed" them to new but never started from scratch BUT I DEFINITELY WANT ONE ON THE GROM!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Design, I've got. My welding is spotty at best, and my tube bender happens to be a vise and a tree. I've blown apart a couple SI stunt cages on the F4i and "re-fabbed" them to new but never started from scratch BUT I DEFINITELY WANT ONE ON THE GROM!
I built my first "custom" bike in 1986 using a bench grinder, hack saw and an oxy/acetylene kit I got from a garage sale for $30 - I feel the vise and tree deal totally.

Over the years it turned into a reasonably successful motorcycle business where I was able to learn many useful skills, like welding, composites, aluminum metalwork, painting, and machine work. In 2005, I'd burned out on the custom bike scene and started my school.

Now I have a nice little garage with all of the serious hardcore hobbyist metal fabrication tools I accumulated over the years and the stuff is collecting dust because I have little time to "hobby" with four kids and a business to look after.

A crash cage seems like something fun to do. If I make any progress I'll post up some photos and see if I can get some input from you guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just talked to Aaron at Racing 905 and they might be interested in building a cage. So if you live in the San Diego, CA are give him a call or shoot him a email. CONTACT US at (619) 210-4777 or E-Mail at [email protected]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts