Honda Grom banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
> Just received my Corbin saddle. It does not have the center brackets that secure the seat to the frame. (The brackets that also hold the strap, on the stock seat.)

Update: Read The Friendly Website. The center brackets are not required, but I needed to add washers under the rear post bracket to make the post clip in securely. Pics to come tomorrow on the "What did you do to your Grom" forum.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts
> Just received my Corbin saddle. It does not have the center brackets that secure the seat to the frame. (The brackets that also hold the strap, on the stock seat.)

Update: Read The Friendly Website. The center brackets are not required, but I needed to add washers under the rear post bracket to make the post clip in securely. Pics to come tomorrow on the "What did you do to your Grom" forum.
That is what I had to do also was to add washers so it would secure and clip in correctly. You did good.
Ride safe

had to put the washers under here

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx CiscoSJ for posting the pic of the problem area to help others. My pic tomorrow will be leather side up, to show the color combo (black seat / red sides on a red Grom). :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
On my bike I have put a washer either side between the seat latch and the frame. Two would be better. This draws the back of the seat lower, closing up that horrible gap somewhat.

Of course I didn't take a picture after doing that, but here is the same mod with a different seat on. The seat uses a stock base, so would have had the same issue.

Cisco, where you've put that washer is going to do the opposite, and increase that panel gap. Does the Corbin necessitate that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shoebacca78, I also put the washers under the center hooks of the stock seat (as I read about on this forum) which made it easier to remove and install (I think that thread is called "still fighting with the seat?").

The Corbin saddle does not have center hooks. From their website: "Because of the strength of the Corbin basepan, the center hooks are not required.... When new, you may want to install washers between the latch bracket and seat pan... the washers can be removed once the bumpers break in."

Here is a pic of the complete underside from the Corbin website. The washers lower that rear hook enough to catch in the key latch. Without the washers, you can push down on the seat all day and it won't lock in.
Corbin2.PNG

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Before and after pics. This is the carbon fiber black seat with ninja red vinyl sides and diamond stitch pattern. I had expected based on the Corbin website samples that the diamond stitch would be contrasting color (red) but they used black. I'm fine either way, but anyone ordering the stitching should specify the color, if that is important to them. I found them very easy to work with. My order details arrived by email on a Sunday, and I had a question so I phoned them expecting to leave a message. Instead, Mike Corbin answered the phone and cleared up my question.

Grom.jpg After.jpg

I'm very pleased with how the Corbin seat rides. I am short (5'3") and the seat is a little taller and a little wider than stock and I can no longer flat-foot, so it's probably just as well I spent the first 100 miles on the stock seat to get the hang of it. (This is my first bike.) However, the ride is smoother and more stable, which is very important since I'm riding in city traffic on roads badly beat up by trucks and buses. Where I really notice the stability is downshifting, as I am sitting farther back.

A side benefit of the flatter Corbin seat is I can safely balance the helmet and gloves on it.

20141011_121127.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
tagged for seat tip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts