Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems obvious to me (although maybe not to others) that the GROM came into being to compete with the MADASS.

A non Japanese made mini scoot for the mass of young people getting into motorcycles.

I am not familiar with the MADASS and I wonder what those who are think of it?

How do the two compare and more importantly, which is better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry I cannot compare Grom to MADASS because IDK what a MADASS is, but I will take a Honda over anything. Just personal preference.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I've had a couple of on-line discussions with MadAss owners who are either A) sorry they bought the MA or B) selling it for a Grom.

I dig the MA but I really don't think it can compare to the Grom and I believe the aftermarket support for the Grom (along with sales) will far outweigh the MA.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a MadAss125 (pictured at the end of this post), and i can HONESTLY say that to compare the two is no contest... the Grom is SOOO much better, in terms of quality and fitment. The MadAss is a neat bike, but i GUARANTEE that Honda did not build the Grom to "compete with it"... The MadAss doesn't have the numbers in america (or anywhere else) for Honda to feel that it would be any sort of competition.

The MadAss COULD have been there... i wrote a letter to the owner of the company that was bringing them in, offering to make parts for them, and try to increase sales for them... I built my MadAss, and when stock, no one really cared for it much... the riding position was horrid, it didn't handle that well, and it didn't really LOOK that good.... but when riding my modified one around, i get stopped on it more than my Ruckus by people wanting to know more about it... The company juuuuuust missed the "cool factor"... unfortunately the company never got back in touch with me, and i decided to not build the parts that i was going to build to help transform the bike.

Ultimately, the MadAss may have a German name behind it, but it is still a 'china bike'... The motor isn't as reliable as it needs to be (my first one broke down and got stuck in 2nd gear after it developed a small oil leak i didn't notice while riding the rouch streets of New York City a couple years ago)... I had to ride from the City back to Long Island in 2nd gear.. sigh. But i don't think that the Honda version of the horizontal cylinder will have ANY problems with a random oil leak on its own (meaning, you have to take it apart and not seal it back up correctly for it to leak on you).

The MadAss IS a bit of a bigger bike... 16" wheels versus the Grom 12"... its a bit longer.. But its also Carb'd, and not EFI... The digital dash in the MadAss is quite cheesy and 'timex' feeling compared to the Grom dash, which has a very "S2000" feel to it, and even a CLOCK! :p The MadAss dash mileage will clear out if i disconnect the battery... so you can't trst anyones mileage when buying used...

etc.

In the end, i vote for the Grom... My MadAss is for sale, and the Grom will DEFINITELY take its place, and i am thrilled about it :)

Buh-bye!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a MadAss125 (pictured at the end of this post), and i can HONESTLY say that to compare the two is no contest... the Grom is SOOO much better, in terms of quality and fitment. The MadAss is a neat bike, but i GUARANTEE that Honda did not build the Grom to "compete with it"... The MadAss doesn't have the numbers in america (or anywhere else) for Honda to feel that it would be any sort of competition.

The MadAss COULD have been there... i wrote a letter to the owner of the company that was bringing them in, offering to make parts for them, and try to increase sales for them... I built my MadAss, and when stock, no one really cared for it much... the riding position was horrid, it didn't handle that well, and it didn't really LOOK that good.... but when riding my modified one around, i get stopped on it more than my Ruckus by people wanting to know more about it... The company juuuuuust missed the "cool factor"... unfortunately the company never got back in touch with me, and i decided to not build the parts that i was going to build to help transform the bike.

Ultimately, the MadAss may have a German name behind it, but it is still a 'china bike'... The motor isn't as reliable as it needs to be (my first one broke down and got stuck in 2nd gear after it developed a small oil leak i didn't notice while riding the rouch streets of New York City a couple years ago)... I had to ride from the City back to Long Island in 2nd gear.. sigh. But i don't think that the Honda version of the horizontal cylinder will have ANY problems with a random oil leak on its own (meaning, you have to take it apart and not seal it back up correctly for it to leak on you).

The MadAss IS a bit of a bigger bike... 16" wheels versus the Grom 12"... its a bit longer.. But its also Carb'd, and not EFI... The digital dash in the MadAss is quite cheesy and 'timex' feeling compared to the Grom dash, which has a very "S2000" feel to it, and even a CLOCK! :p The MadAss dash mileage will clear out if i disconnect the battery... so you can't trst anyones mileage when buying used...

etc.

In the end, i vote for the Grom... My MadAss is for sale, and the Grom will DEFINITELY take its place, and i am thrilled about it :)

Buh-bye!
That's a SWEET lookin' MadAss, ComposiMo! :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just sold my madass last week as I wait for the grom. I loved the MA, it was a fun bike to ride. Got stopped constantly on it, at gas stations, stoplights, etc. The build quality wasn't quite there. Mine had a horrible oil leak from the day I bought it. Some of the bolts mysteriously fell out. The aftermarket was nothing compared to what the grom is already. But other than that it was really fun to ride. I'm sure the grom will be at least as fun, if not more so, have many more parts and will be of a much better build quality.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've had a couple of on-line discussions with MadAss owners who are either A) sorry they bought the MA or B) selling it for a Grom.

I dig the MA but I really don't think it can compare to the Grom and I believe the aftermarket support for the Grom (along with sales) will far outweigh the MA.
A and B for me...

It's also true that I can't go anywhere without people flagging me down or breaking their necks to look at it. Looks cool, 142cc is strong, but I would much rather have reliability. Mine is also for sale, lost interest in it after having so many issues with it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You who have experience riding the MADASS.

How is the stiffness of the rear shock? GROM people have said theirs is stiff. I need a soft riding machine!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I go 250.

Would that make the shock bottom, do you think?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would hate to see you choose a MadAss125 over a Grom just because you want a softer ride... don't forget that there are other options for shocks n stuff... the stock madass shock i think is about the same length as the MadAss, and you COULD probably swap in the MadAss 50cc shock, which has a softer spring rate than the 125 setup IIRC...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must give up everything else for a soft ride. I have back problems and a stiff riding motorcycle gives me back spasms after a week or two. I have considerable experience with this problem. I have no trouble at all going coast to coast on my Honda ST1300 and I can also ride both of the Vstroms without issue.

There is an aftermarket shock for the MA that has a progressive wound spring, and if it really fit the GROM, I think I would be all set!

But what you say about the shock for the MA 50cc is great news too.

Anyone care to chime in about the suitability of the MA shock for the GROM Im all ears!

I also understand Works Performance makes a rear shock with progressive springs that may fit the GROM and any further dope on that is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NJ near Philly.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I must give up everything else for a soft ride. I have back problems and a stiff riding motorcycle gives me back spasms after a week or two. I have considerable experience with this problem. I have no trouble at all going coast to coast on my Honda ST1300 and I can also ride both of the Vstroms without issue.

There is an aftermarket shock for the MA that has a progressive wound spring, and if it really fit the GROM, I think I would be all set!

But what you say about the shock for the MA 50cc is great news too.

Anyone care to chime in about the suitability of the MA shock for the GROM Im all ears!

I also understand Works Performance makes a rear shock with progressive springs that may fit the GROM and any further dope on that is greatly appreciated!
Try and figure out something about spring changes or comfort before you buy anything. The MadAss has a horrible factory seating position. You are sort of leaning forward the whole time, I'm sure that will hurt your back. If you plan on that one you would have to spend money on getting a better seat or modifying the factory one. Which means spending time and money on it anyway. Between both bikes and your situation, I would spend time and money on a reliable Grom instead of a not so reliable MadAss. I have had my MadAss new since 2010, and ridden it a little over 2,000 miles. A lot of repairs, headaches and fixes in that time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
don't like the madass cant really make it look how you want. feels limited. I don't even know of a dealer that sells it. only ever seen one in my life.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try and figure out something about spring changes or comfort before you buy anything. The MadAss has a horrible factory seating position. You are sort of leaning forward the whole time, I'm sure that will hurt your back. If you plan on that one you would have to spend money on getting a better seat or modifying the factory one. Which means spending time and money on it anyway. Between both bikes and your situation, I would spend time and money on a reliable Grom instead of a not so reliable MadAss. I have had my MadAss new since 2010, and ridden it a little over 2,000 miles. A lot of repairs, headaches and fixes in that time.

Yes I have a real dilema here. The leaning forward seating position could be fixed by a Fox rotating bar extender. The reliability probably cant be fixed just have to deal with it. Theres one for sale 60 miles north of me and I will go look at it this weekend. They want $2000 for it new. Its a leftover. Ive been a car mechanic, machinist, and currently build electronic devices for military and space applications. So Im a pretty good judge of machinery. I hear what you all are saying about the MA and dont doubt you are giving me good advice.

But I want to see for myself.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts