Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I heard people put 3 stiffer springs, and leave 3 stock springs in their grom... they also change the lifter plate itself. Now how come they don't change all 6 springs? Idk which one to do. I want to "stunt" on it (wheelies). Thanks

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
sex machine clutch kit is what I have with RPM CNC clutch plate.

one of the best 2 product to keep your grom happy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering your build do all 6, go with smr (sex machine racing)

Most go this route after doing the 3 and 3... So save the time and headache

YES on after market lifter plate as well, but stay away from Koso brand alot of people report having fitment issue.... ALOT!
the thing is... why? Why do they do 3? do they not want it to be THAT stiff?

Also I want to do the clutch plates too (My clutch works at the last mm, so I'm thinking if I put new plates in, it might might might engage quicker. I already tried adjusting the perch.) How are the EBC clutch plates + springs?? It's a full kit for $111 haha. Good or nah? Should I buy it together or seperate (buy SMR)?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sex machine clutch kit is what I have with RPM CNC clutch plate.

one of the best 2 product to keep your grom happy
Do you like the clutch kit? Bc I also want to change the clutch plates too... I was thinkin EBC

·
Registered
966 Posts
Link to the RPM Clutch Plate?
https://www.steadygarage.com/store/sex-machine-racing-6-disc-clutch-upgrade-honda-grom-monkey-125

Do you like the clutch kit? Bc I also want to change the clutch plates too... I was thinkin EBC
Fuck EBC! lol SIX plate weather its SMR or extra steel in clutch basket mod

the thing is... why? Why do they do 3? do they not want it to be THAT stiff?

Also I want to do the clutch plates too (My clutch works at the last mm, so I'm thinking if I put new plates in, it might might might engage quicker. I already tried adjusting the perch.) How are the EBC clutch plates + springs?? It's a full kit for $111 haha. Good or nah? Should I buy it together or seperate (buy SMR)?
Stiffer springs less slip more grab (YEEET wheelies all day).... SMR 6plate make it feel like a real clutch,,, IMO

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
966 Posts
When I first bought my grom, Dealer installed the EBC Srk clutch kit... I burned those up pretty quick and went back to stock, Honestly felt no different.

Not until I went smr 60% stiffer springs and added an extra steel plate in the middle of my clutch pack, similar to what the SMR 6plate is, but that uses extra friction plate im using an extra steel plate I had from EBC kit...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So this is what I came up with... SMR 60% stiffer springs, their clutch plates, and finally the Chimera CNC Lifter Plate. I also will need a Nut tool lol. Here's the link:

Clutch Plates: https://www.steadygarage.com/store/sex-machine-racing-6-disc-clutch-upgrade-honda-grom-monkey-125 (wait will this work with the 60% stiffer? They wrote 30% in the desc)

Lifter Plate: https://www.steadygarage.com/store/two-wheels/mc-parts/honda-grom-msx-125/engine/chimera-cnc-clutch-plate-honda-grom-monkey-125

Springs: https://www.steadygarage.com/store/two-wheels/mc-parts/honda-grom-msx-125/engine/sex-machine-racing-6pc-clutch-spring-upgrade-honda-grom-monkey-125-60-percent-stiffer

Everything looks good. I think Ima order it... through Steady Garage. eBay doesn't have any of that for some reason.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Smart man going for the 60% springs all around. And also for upgrading the rest of the clutch assembly.

The first set I had was either 15 or 20%, made virtually zero difference. 60% gives you the pop neccessary to lift 2nd gear nicely.

Best of luck with your build!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Smart man going for the 60% springs all around. And also for upgrading the rest of the clutch assembly.

The first set I had was either 15 or 20%, made virtually zero difference. 60% gives you the pop neccessary to lift 2nd gear nicely.

Best of luck with your build!

I mean I'm spending way more on stupid things so this seems reasonable haha, especially since its a performance upgrade (and so it'll help with wheelies haha). I appricate the help and support, and SERIOUSLY LOVE THE ENTHUSIASM hahhahaha. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Also forgot to answer your other question, the 60% springs should work just fine with the 6 disc clutch setup. Really though, that was a brilliant move for a stunt build. It'll eliminate all that slip that happens when you dump the clutch.

I'm sure you already know, but make sure you get the stunt oil pump to put in at the same time, if you don't have one already. I ruined a stock piston and cylinder because of this... whoops!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also forgot to answer your other question, the 60% springs should work just fine with the 6 disc clutch setup. Really though, that was a brilliant move for a stunt build. It'll eliminate all that slip that happens when you dump the clutch.

I'm sure you already know, but make sure you get the stunt oil pump to put in at the same time, if you don't have one already. I ruined a stock piston and cylinder because of this... whoops!

I was actually thinkin of doing that, and for $70 through straight arm pumps, it's not bad. HOWEVER, I am actually really garbage at wheelies so it'll take some time before I get long wheelies down hahahaha... maybe tho, it'll save a lot of time!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was actually thinkin of doing that, and for $70 through straight arm pumps, it's not bad. HOWEVER, I am actually really garbage at wheelies so it'll take some time before I get long wheelies down hahahaha... maybe tho, it'll save a lot of time!
I had the same feeling you did. I wasn't even really going distance til I did my big bore. It only takes a few seconds to lose oil pressure in a wheelie. I was just hitting parking lots at night and doing little 1st gear wheelies in the driveway, and within a few months, my piston looked like a belt sander hit it. Surprised it had any compression it was so bad.

Check this video out, this illustrates exactly what happens with Grom oil starvation during a wheelie. Not like it's very expensive or difficult to rebuild these engines, but why not have some added insurance against that situation?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the same feeling you did. I wasn't even really going distance til I did my big bore. It only takes a few seconds to lose oil pressure in a wheelie. I was just hitting parking lots at night and doing little 1st gear wheelies in the driveway, and within a few months, my piston looked like a belt sander hit it. Surprised it had any compression it was so bad.

Check this video out, this illustrates exactly what happens with Grom oil starvation during a wheelie. Not like it's very expensive or difficult to rebuild these engines, but why not have some added insurance against that situation?

Wait that's after 3-5 second wheelies???

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wait that's after 3-5 second wheelies???
When the nose gets high enough it just sucks air. Basically if you get high enough to work the brake in a wheelie, it's not making oil pressure. At that point he crankshaft is relying on oil splash while the head and piston are getting nothing. That's what they were showing in the video.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts